talbizle

Default map items not showing in editor

9 posts in this topic

Okay! So I have been searching for days now and have not come up with an answer. I am trying to edit the Tanoa map and items that come with the map do not show up, however when I save and load it into the server it shows what I added and what was included in the original map. i.e. I load the exile.Tanoa into my local PC and in editor. I Only see the base map with Icons. NO traders or signs. I add a trader and sign, and save the scenario. When loaded back into the server it will show both the new and old trader. I want to be able to co edit old and new objects / NPC's at the same time.

My setup is as follows.

Windows Server 2019 with 32 GB of ram and two Xeon quad cores. Gigabit connections throughout. In my room I remote into the server to run the Exile server. I edit the files on my main PC then send them over network to the server. On my PC I have Exile 3den plugin and M3editor loaded in when in editor. I need help. I want to be able to see and delete the old traders while also looking at the new ones.

I'm thinking I may have to unbinarize O.o? the old mission file in order for it to show all of the objects. I found CfgConvert in a search for unbinarize. I thought about the fact that the editor could only output plain text files and the map came with binarized ones. I could tell because it was all jumbled when I tried to open initplayerlocal in notepad++. Please tell me what you think. Not sure how to get that tool or how to use it yet, but I will keep trying and post results here as I go. Please let me know if I'm on the right or wrong path. Thank you for any help....

Advertisement

Hello @talbizle,

You're seeing correct.  If you examine your files, you will see one called InitServer.Sqf.  THIS is the file that places everything, map is loaded, mission starts, traders and such loaded via the initserver.sqf.

It is HIGHLY recommended you follow this practice.  There are articles on here how to add stuff to the map.

:)

• Thanks 1

So @Z80CPU just to be clear if I unbinarize InitServer.Sqf and load into editor it should show all of the items from the default map? Also then would it be fine to leave this file in this "Plain text" format? Like when I repack the PBO and place it back serverside? Thanks in advance. I am at least happy that I got the server up, listed and playable.

Edited by talbizle

@talbizle -

ZERO FILES are 'encoded'!  They are ALL PLAIN TEXT!

And NO, it will NOT show them.  It is a SCRIPT.

Though I have never tried, it is possible to 'run' this script while in the editor.  Will you have to change some stuff to get it to 'work'?  I do not know as I have not tried such.

Again, you BEST BET is to search and read the many articles on here on how to get stuff onto the map.  By reading on how this works, you can delete the original 'placements' and import/export your own, which people (such me) do.  It is NOT hard!  BUT, you MUST read on how to do it.

And if ANY of your files are 'encoded', DELETE THEM!  The REAL files (from HERE) are NOT 'encoded'.

• Thanks 1

So what I mean by Plain text is not garbled vs readable. I see the data about the traders and Icons between the garbled bits. I would like to start the server without all of that, but clearing the file and loading it blank results in the server not booting. When I save a new trader it saves in initPlayerLocalsqf. So the data I want to edit is stored in mission.sqm.

non plain text.PNG

Plain Text.PNG

@talbizle -

Again, if it is NOT plain text, you have been DUPED!  Which has happened to you!  EVERY FILE in the OFFICIAL Exile files are PLAIN TEXT FILES!

What you showed in the 1st pic, ARE NOT the OFFICIAL VERSION!  It look like you're trying to use someone's files.  ;)

Download the ORIGINAL files from here!

I have no idea of what you are doing!  If you delete stuff, how is anybody going to buy or sell?  And you CAN delete all those thing out AND IT WILL STILL BOOT!

You NEED to get the REAL FILES FROM HERE!  And work with the OFFICIAL FILES ONLY!  I cannot help you make something that is 'not the real' thing.

If you continue to use UNOFFICIAL files, then I suggest you get your help from the person you got these from.

mission.sqm is binarized by default unless someone un-binarised it earlier, to make it readable, you need to open it in editor and chose save as in file menu, than untick binarisation wanted, that way it will get saved as a readable text.

I suggest you do this without any modifications to it, so in case something goes wrong later you would still have original as backup (and things can go wrong pretty easily).

Not sure which map you are using, but make sure you load only Exile mod while using the editor, unless some other mod is needed by the map itself.

Also it is possible to #include an sqf file and load objects from it in editor

(note that editor loads only mission.sqm and trader objects are contained in initserver.sqf and traders in initplayer.sqf and therefore not shown in the editor by default).

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1

So not sure what I did last week (Was very tired when I was working on it), but I was able to remove the default traders and objects from the Exile.Tanoa map.

I placed a new trader and some objects and just told the editor to save (binarization unchecked) and packed the .PBO. The new trader and objects were shown. The problem I am having now is that Traders are not in GOD MODE, aka I can kill them. If I freeze them I cannot kill them, but they look like crap. I have Damage unchecked. Not sure whats up with that.

Edit: I Changed Enable Damage back and forth a few times and now they do not die when shot.

Edited by talbizle

Advertisement