TroyT

Is there a best practice for map editing?

5 posts in this topic

I've been doing some map editing for my Tanoa server but have run into some roadblocks.  I'm hoping to get steered in the right direction.

What I was originally doing was importing the mission.sqm into Eden/M3Editor and placing buildings, copying and moving non-construction/safe zones, saving that file as mutiplayer and wrapping it back up into the .pbo. That's nice because I can see the objects as I manipulate the markers.  The list of entities gets pretty long though.  

I had downloaded someone else's trader addition which consisted of adding include lines in the initPlayerLocal.sqf & initServer.sqf files pointing them to respective files in another folder.  This seems like a nice way of compartmentalizing but I can't figure out how to generate the sqf's in Eden (they have the "Created with Exile Mod 3DEN Plugin" header).

Tonight I made a trader in Eden and exported the objects, took that code, and pasted it into my mission.sqf and was stoked when everything loaded in... until I realized that everything was rotated in the wrong direction.  I assume that Eden's rotation coordinates don't translate to the mission.sqf.

So what is the best way to go about this?  I'm not a coder and want a way that will allow me to easily differentiate the areas I'm creating.  In the initServer.sqf I just ///commented the beginning and end of the objects and that would be fine. I keep finding partial information and introduction videos to several tools but nothing that really addresses these questions.

Advertisement
Advertisement