DeathInc

Use MariaDB instead of MySQL

8 posts in this topic

I recommend for your database that you switch from using MySQL to using MariaDB. MariaDB is a binary drop-in replacement for MySQL.

MariaDB is a community-developed fork of the MySQL relational database management system intended to remain free under the GNU GPL. It is notable for being led by the original developers of MySQL, who forked it due to concerns over its acquisition by Oracle.

Quoted from Admin Magazine: http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/MariaDB-vs.-MySQL

The goal for Maria-DB is to be a drop-in replacement for MySQL – with more features and better performance.

MariaDB is based on the corresponding version of MySQL, if one exists. For example, MariaDB 5.1.53 is based on MySQL 5.1.53, with some added bug fixes, additional storage engines, new features, and performance improvements. Versions of MariaDB that do not have an equivalently numbered version of MySQL (e.g., MariaDB 5.2.4) contain major new features the developers felt warranted a new version number.

Here are 10 reasons according to seravo.fi why you should switch to MariaDB:

• MariaDB development is more open and vibrant
  • Quicker and more transparent security releases
  • More cutting edge features
  • More storage engines
  • Better performance
  • Galera active-active master clustering
  • Oracle stewardship is uncertain
  • MariaDB has leapt in popularity
  • Compatible and easy to migrate
  • Migration might become difficult after 2015 (due to MySQL version compatibility)

i have been using MariaDB on my servers for a couple years now and so far everything is blazing fast and very responsive.

Migration is simple and easy. You download the installer, it checks for an existing MySQL install and replaces the necessary files.  Done.

Advertisement

edit the my.ini and done. this is how mine looks like

[mysqld]
datadir=C:/Program Files/MariaDB 10.1/data
port=3306
sql_mode=""
default_storage_engine=innodb
innodb_buffer_pool_size=1014M
innodb_log_file_size=50M
[client]
port=3306

• Like 1

i cant see a real "must have - must change" reason here

it reminds me about the game life is feudal

which also requires maria db

but it only worked with v5.0 when v10.x already was available

but it just didnt work with any version higher than 5

and now guess what

all the "reasons" why its better than mysql were added in versions LATER than 5.x which didnt work with this game...

so (in this case) all the advantages over mysql were zero... and it was just a pain in the ass to have to install an "exotic" database server when you already have one which everbody knows very well...

another case: epochmod and their precious "redis" database...

back in the days when they startet with their mod (i was there almost from day 0) there were no tools which could change this and that database entry on the fly... no... you had to stop redis - change your shit - and start again... wtf

exactly.... WHAT THE FORK :swearing:

it may have changed until today so you can just edit every data on the fly like you can with mysql databases and phpmyadmin or navicat etc blabla...

but i dont give a shit about redis or epochmod anymore... they had their chance... and forked it up ^^

my opinion: never change a running system

you could also try to talk a coffedrinker into changing over to tea...its so much healthier... has so much more flavours etc...

but what if he just doesnt like this forking tea? :talktohand:

i can only speak for myself... but i never had any performance issue with mysql in all these years...

so thnx... but im staying with mysql for a bit longer

Edited by AFC~Gagi2~

Advertisement