Th3 R34p3r 187

Admins who play

Admins Playing  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Can admins play on the server ?

• Yess, why not ?.
    • No, becuz (give a brief reason in a comment)
    • I don't care, as long as they don't cheat.

37 posts in this topic

What is your thought on admins playing aswel on the server ?.

As of now i admin on 2 Exile servers and i get quiet frequently asked why i'm not playing.
Wel the reason i don't is simple. Having thousands of hours on ARMA (different mods) i have learned how easly 
kids throw the Hacker/admin abuser accusation if they get killed due their lack of tactics and planning even tho' they have no evidence to backup such statement. Sad part about it is, some people believe other people without providing any sort of evidence beside a story. 

I'm aware that as an admin you're upholding the community's reputation. Which is pretty hard, considering the attitude of quiet some players.
You know, those that say the server/admins suck cuz you don't TP to them in a second and help them to their wishes and demands.
Or becuz they don't get a refund for gear lost cuz they failed to read/respect the server rules.

So i feel that, either way if you're a admin it won't matter if you play or not. People will throw shit at you and accuse you of anything anyhow no matter if you're trying to be proffesional, reasonable and considerate with them. 

So hereby i'd like to ask the Exile community their opinion on admins that play on the server.
So i can get a certain idea if it's frowned upon or not. Cuz it get's boring staring at the chat console all day long while not being able to play.

Thanks

• Like 3

If your really that concerned about it, why not get another copy of Arma 3 on a different steam account so that no one on your server will know who you are ;)

Advertisement

Personally, as an Admin, I feel that all admins, or for that matter moderators, should be able to play, yes they are there to help other players and deal with as many issues as show up but above all they are players. 

The way I deal with it is try to stay as 'invisible' as possible, dont advertise who the admins are, if a potential cheat/hacker or otherwise knows an admin is on they are less likely to actually do anything, players only need to know that admins/mods are there when needed, use other moderators that are ingame, they are there to be the front line of any issues, use an RCON programme as you can deal with a majority of problems with them and some can log all chat and console commands, ensure you are always on Teamspeak when you are playing but above all make sure your rpt files, exdb logs and any other media is always accessible to other players.

In reply to Wasti, you dont need to have another Steam account, you just need to make sure your Steam account name isnt visible.

Edited by Capt Caveman

If your really that concerned about it, why not get another copy of Arma 3 on a different steam account so that no one on your server will know who you are ;)

I said i'm admin. I don't own none of them. I'm not concerned, i'mmore interested in people's opinion about it :)

If your really that concerned about it, why not get another copy of Arma 3 on a different steam account so that no one on your server will know who you are ;)

just create another profile, why fo you need to buy another arma3 :):):)

Or becuz they don't get a refund for gear lost cuz they failed to read/respect the server rules.

Agree with that..

I am an admin on one epoch and two exile servers.  I play on none.  As R34 stated, it is too easy for 'others' to 'claim' you're cheating for the reasons he listed...and probably more.

Also, in exile, it is hard to separate your money/respect from an admin's worth.  If i wished to play on either, i must use a name that only the server owner knows of, do not talk in chat/TS - or use something like clownfish, and do not tell anyone/deny that i am an admin.

reason for no talk/chat is, you can give yourself away and then the 'cheating claims' will come.

if we get caught 'cheating', we are banned from the server as any other player would be; no more admin, player, or anything.

we do have the option of using a 2nd UID to play under, if you feel like spending more $$$ on arma....  ;)

:)

• Like 1

we do have the option of using a 2nd UID to play under, if you feel like spending more $$$ on arma.... 

;)

That's what I was talking about. I mean, it makes admining that much harder if you use in-game admin tools attached to your other UID, but if you have rcon access, who cares.

I sometimes take a ride in a chopper with friends, that's it.. 

When I want to play, I organize an admin event where I have to be hunted down, and play without infistar enabled at such moments.

just modify your server pbo so any time an admin kills someone their name gets replaced with "NPC". Will save you and your players a lot of "stress"

Edited by hangender
  • Like 2

That would be upto the individual player and how much will power they have in not pressing the buttons.

Advertisement