Overside

HELP "UISounds 2" MOD

9 posts in this topic

Maybe because it IS a SP mod?  ;)

To 'add' it to Exile, means EVERYBODY who plays on your server MUST have YOUR VERSION of Exile.  So now, I will have to have TWO VERSIONS OF EXILE on my hdd, the heck with that!

And doing it that way is just dumb.  Just put the key on the server and be done with it.  Then it is OPTIONAL.  I know I would NOT want that myself and I am sure a LOT others do not want it as well.  It's been out for 2+ years and only 3k using it?  And NO UPDATES in 1+ years?  Hmmm....sounds like a 'dead' mod to me that just might not be compatiable with the latest version of ARMA as a lot of scripts were 'broken' by the last update.

:)

Advertisement

If you take apart the mod you will find a folder containing the sound files, a SQF file that setups the eventhandlers and a config.cpp that acts as a mission Description.ext. You can try porting the entire mods coding and files over to your mission folder to play the sounds when the events occur. This would remove the need for the mod and achieve the same goal.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:58 PM, Z80CPU said:

To 'add' it to Exile, means EVERYBODY who plays on your server MUST have YOUR VERSION of Exile.  So now, I will have to have TWO VERSIONS OF EXILE on my hdd, the heck with that!

And doing it that way is just dumb.  Just put the key on the server and be done with it.  Then it is OPTIONAL.  I know I would NOT want that myself and I am sure a LOT others do not want it as well.  It's been out for 2+ years and only 3k using it?  And NO UPDATES in 1+ years?  Hmmm....sounds like a 'dead' mod to me that just might not be compatiable with the latest version of ARMA as a lot of scripts were 'broken' by the last update.

wrong... with your own mod.. like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1271466511 you can override ANY classes (weapons, vehicles, etc..) with just a simple requiredAddons[] = {"exile_client"}; making the PBO dependent on it, and allowing you to change the class settings. besides, this don't require any of that.

On 12/28/2018 at 2:08 AM, Overside said:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790393813

Does anyone know how to add these sounds to exile?

For me it works only in single mode.

maybe need added some sound in "description.ext"?

you just add the sounds to the description.ext CfgSounds, add the sounds to the missionfile, and do some overrides, no need for the mod at all:

ExileClient_object_player_event_onInventoryClosed add playSound "bagclose";

ExileClient_object_player_event_onInventoryOpened add playSound "bagopen"; 

ExileClient_object_player_event_onTake add playSound "pickup"; 

ExileClient_object_player_event_onPut add playSound "drop"; 

You can figure out the rest from there....

Sounds are local to the player but meh...

@Beowulfv, @StokesMagee - You are both correct on adding it to the mission file.  I forgot about adding them to mission PBO, though I have many add-ons loading that way...  ;)

I still stand by the BEST option is to make it an OPTION by just adding the key to the server.  This is the EASIEST and QUICKEST method.  NOTHING has to be changed, modified, or adjusted.  Just copy the file over and that is that!  And it does not  force these sounds on people who do not want them, such as myself.  It also keeps the mission PBO smaller compared to having to add those sound files (though small) compared to the current PBO.

@Overside - You can do what they suggest, which WILL work, but it also makes YOU WORK TOO!  OR, you can just copy the key over and you just load the mod every time you wish to play via your launcher.

Because YOU like them, does not mean EVERYBODY will.  In the past, I joined a server that REQUIRED a 5gb download of cars JUST TO JOIN!  I said no thanks, as I would never use those.  Another server had the T Rex add-on installed...nope...NEXT!  While in my two cases it was REQUIRED to play, yours is NOT.  This is like the JSRS sound mod.  It is OPTIONAL.  The mod you want is also OPTIONAL.  Do not force your 'opinions' on others.  This will not make for 'happy players'.  If someone has or does NOT have this mod installed, does not effect nor affect the game play whatsoever.  Those two servers I mentioned, yes, it WOULD effect/affect game play.

:)

@Beowulfv - As the old saying goes, 'Because you can do something does not mean you should do it'.

When you stated "They are not asking for suppression of creativity", you are implying someone did attempt to 'stifle creativity'.  No one did.  As matter of fact, the method which I suggested was best, supports this 'freedom of expression' which you're implying that 'someone is attempting to prevent'.

By making it MANDATORY, this is the OPPOSITE OF FREEDOM.  My way IS FREEDOM.

And what did he EXACTLY ASK???  "Does anyone know how to add these sounds to exile?"

Where did he state "they are trying to create something unique"?  ALL YOU DID WAS TO ADD WORDS TO HIS POST!

All he wanted was HOW TO ADD THOSE SOUNDS TO EXILE - PERIOD!

There are TWO WAYS to accomplish this task:  Your way and my way.  And BOTH are CORRECT!

Here are the FACTS concerning both methods:

By placing the key on the server (which makes it an option to the player):

It is quicker and easier compared to the 'other method'.

It requires ZERO work by the admin outside of just copying the key over.

Permits 100% FREEDOM OF CHOICE for the USER TO DECIDE if they wish to use it.  (Which you imply you support)

A relative beginner could implement these sounds on their server with ZERO KNOWLEDGE OF ANYTHING CONCERNING ARMA!  All that would be needed is basic Windows operational skills.  'Copy this file from here to there'.

The 'Other Method' (which forces it on a player):

Lot of work that is required.

Prone to many errors such as typos.

Making a bigger Mission PBO file.

FORCING this mod on other people who, which the MAJORITY OF ARMA PLAYERS DO NOT WANT!  (Steam proves this out - Only .07% players use this mod - 3172 out of 4 million)

Other unseen problems as this appears to be a 'Dead Mod'.

Requires some advance knowledge of how an ARMA server works as well as some ARMA scripting knowledge.

As I stated, BOTH WILL WORK, one is easy and makes it an OPTION to the PLAYER versus a lot of work and FORCING IT ON THE PLAYERS.

You and the other poster suggested one solution, I merely provided another.  What is so wrong with thatBoth are right and both can be done.  My solution is easier and less prone to mistakes and provides a choice rather than forcing something on someone as your method does.

Both are valid options.  One is a choice, the other is by force.

There has been NO 'suppression of creativity', BY ANYONE!

;)

Advertisement