Vondu

ExAd VG problem

Question

I'm in the process of building a 64bit fresh exile server.  I have implemented most of ExAd apps and they all work flawlessly.  I decided I didn't like the native exile VG so I went through the steps to install ExAd VG.  The button shows up in extra apps but when I click it, the title on the XM8 shows Virtual Garage but nothing happens.  All the extra apps buttons are still left on the page.  I don't get a black screen or anything like that.  Its like the xm8_gui_slide isn't being executed.  I have triple checked the config.cpp for the extra apps and the button.  It all looks correct.  I'm thinking the problem has to be in the config.cpp cause everything else ExAd related works.

If the gui slide show is being called then something should happen right?

Any help or suggestion would be awesome.  I have gone back through the steps for installing the VG 3 times and whatever I'm doing wrong, I must be doing it everytime.

Things I've checked multiple times:

Exile server addons contains core and vg

exad client contains xm8 and virtual garage files

remoteexc, discription.ext, scripts.txt have been edited.

I have uncomented every reference to include virtual garage etc.

The config.cpp controlid is default 5000.

My brain is fried.  I need fresh eyes.

• Confused 1

16 answers to this question

Hello @Vondu,

There is also a DB addition that MUST be added as well and you do NOT have that listed...

This IS documented in the instructions.

Question is, if you missed that, what ELSE have you missed?

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you re-read the instructions CAREFULLY.

:)

Edited by Z80CPU

@Z80CPU If you are refering to the sql updates that have to be run for ExAd_VG I have run them on mysql.  It was two update alter table lines and they ran successfully!

Advertisement

Those are the ones I was talking about.  You did not have those listed in what you did in your original post, thus my comments.

Just like you did not mention what you are using:  Ext2 OR Ext3.

For 64 bit ARMA exe, you MUST use Ext3.  And there is a LOAD OF CRAP you MUST do to get things to work with Ext3.

Personally, on the two servers I mange, I run the default Ext2 (32 bit) as EVERYTHING works with that...

MOST things DO NOT WORK WITH Ext3 without making LOADS OF CHANGES!

;)

Also, from what I have seen EVERY SCRIPT that makes use of the DB MUST BE MODIFIED.  I have also seen some scripts have NOT been 'converted' over.  ExAD is not one of those if I remember correctly.

And if you did all of this and it still does not work, then it means one of two things:

#1 - You made a mistake somewhere

#2 - This script is one of those that has not been properly 'converted' to Ext3.

I am using extdb3.  @Z80CPU There were instructions for that in the installation guide.  I'll go back over everything one more time when I get home.  All portions of the ExAd apps work except the ExAd_VG.  I absolutely HATE exiles VG.  I don't want to put in a nickname for a vic every time I store it.

Does anyone know of any other VG's out there that might be worth looking into?  That is if I can't get ExAd_VG working.

@Spazz711 @Beowulfv @Monkeynutz @Super Jerome  Sorry for the mentions you guys but I see all or your names the most on ExAd topics.  Hoping one of you will chime in with a magical "Oh!  I've seen this before, do this and this and poof it works"!  LOL

Edited by Vondu
  • Sad 1

I agree with you having to input a nickname every time.  I DO see a 'use' for it ON OCCASIONS.  Required?  Nah...it should have been OPTIONAL.

I also have not seen anyone with issues with the latest Exile, ExAD, and Ext3.  This tells me that you have an error SOMEWHERE.

As I have not 'poked around' on Exile's code for the VG, you SHOULD be able to 'skip over' the nickname part and have it 'auto-insert' a value every time.  Such as 'Personal Vehicle' as a DEFAULT answer.  This way, if the player does not use a nickname, then they do not have to change it and they can 'make believe' that field is not even there.  BUT, if the player wishes to use that feature, then all they would have to do is to delete that text and put in their own name.

I think this would me 100% EASIER in the long run as I am concerned about future versions on Exile and having to import/export ExAD's cars from the DB.  With a new version of Exile for example, they will have included with the new version, a means to use the old DB data...EXILE's DATA...NOT ExAD's data.  This means you might have to wait a day...week...month or who knows how long before a script/means to get ExAD's cars into the new Exile's DB.  This is why when I installed ExAD, this time around (v1.04), I opted OUT of ExAD's VG...for the sake of future versions because who knows what may change then and I do not wish to 'paint myself into a corner' with ExAD.

Now, I DO use the other features of ExAD, not VG this go around...

It is something to 'ponder on'...

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vondu said:

I am using extdb3.  @Z80CPU There were instructions for that in the installation guide.  I'll go back over everything one more time when I get home.  All portions of the ExAd apps work except the ExAd_VG.  I absolutely HATE exiles VG.  I don't want to put in a nickname for a vic every time I store it.

Does anyone know of any other VG's out there that might be worth looking into?  That is if I can't get ExAd_VG working.

@Spazz711 @Beowulfv @Monkeynutz @Super Jerome  Sorry for the mentions you guys but I see all or your names the most on ExAd topics.  Hoping one of you will chime in with a magical "Oh!  I've seen this before, do this and this and poof it works"!  LOL

Thanks for the mention... 
May i point you for a few seconds to read the front page or "README.md" of the official ExAd repository for Exile 1.0.4....
https://github.com/GamingAtDeathsDoor/ExAd-1.0.4
Note that it specifically states the following...

image.thumb.png.2de6df1a789b292a72fd0343abdd058a.png

I would not recommend anyone uses the ExAd VG as it is already part of Exile. Therefore I will not be offering support for it. As for the nicknames part of the Exile VG which i have seen a glimpse of in this post, I have already made the overrides to resolve this issue and it will simply give the vehicle it's own name followed by 3 random numbers so there is never a same name, should the user not provide a nickname to the game. You can ask nicely and i might give you the code for this.

I wish you the best of luck with what you are putting together, hopefully without ExAd VG.

• Like 1

@Monkeynutz

Too funny!  You already did what I had suggested!  I am glad that it does work.  This was just a 'quick thought' that I had that would address his concern.  I will admit I never saw that text you posted, but as I stated, I opted out of ExAD's VG for other reasons.

Either way, I feel that it is a 'smart move'.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Z80CPU said:

@Monkeynutz

Too funny!  You already did what I had suggested!  I am glad that it does work.  This was just a 'quick thought' that I had that would address his concern.  I will admit I never saw that text you posted, but as I stated, I opted out of ExAD's VG for other reasons.

Either way, I feel that it is a 'smart move'.

I would remove the VG files if people wouldn't complain but people will always cry in the Arma community.

• Like 1

Advertisement