F_Society

If I install the game on SSD and mods on HDD will it slow down loading time?

15 posts in this topic

I've tried to have the game on HDD as I was almost out of space on the SSD but it was loading so slow and I had 10 fps in game at the start.. I was wondering if it would have the same effect if I have just the mods installed on the HDD

You may find it worse. Your loading time will be quicker, but your game will intermittently pull resources from the mod. Not only will it be slow from the HDD it may stutter because the drive will stop and start-up to access it. I would say either have it all on the HDD or all on the SSD. Unless you have a large amount of ram like 64gbs, then use a RAM Disk.

• Like 1

Advertisement

It'll be different for everyone. Depends if your OS is on your HDD or your HDD is always on due to other programs, etc. The worst you can do is try it, but I would generally recommend against it.

Technically speaking, for the greatest 'speed boost', as @Tich has stated, put the game files on the HDD and the mods on the SSD.

The game will read the game files once, but the mods are read many times.

In reality, you might notice no speed improvements in the end.  Linus from 'Tech Tips' has tested this setup several times in the past.  In some areas, the times were IDENTICAL.

See:  Linus Tech Tips

For example, it the game says to pull data at 100 mb/s, and your HDD pushes it out at 500 mb/s and the SSD at 1000 mb/s, the data will be read at 100 mb/s REGARDLESS of the drive in use.

There is also one other consideration as well.  The game files write data back to the ARMA folder, the mods do not write back to the mod folders.  This means that the SSD's life will be shorten by the writes as there is a LIMITED number of writes that a SSD is allocated.  Is this a new SSD?  Used?

Also, you can boost performance by defragging the HDD.

If it was ME, and this was a rented server with a new SSD, I would put the game files on the HDD and the mods on a SSD.  I would also defrag the HDD to ensure maximum performance on HDD as well.

:)

@Z80CPU I don't agree with your whole statement. First things first it isn't for the server, rather the game. Also the game doesn't do much in terms of writes other than the odd save. The writes it does do is noway near enough to degrade an SSD not for years and years and years. Using Google Chrome would do more damage.

Also the game won't limit it's read speed. So it won't work at say "100MB/s" it will work at the maximum possible read speed. Hence why SSD's increase load times.

Also the game files are read just as much as the mod files. Why? because the textures are very large both in the mod and the game files. A mod is generally just some added textures and some times some logic too. 

• Like 1

I tend to opt for a hybrid approach: game installed on SSD, mods on HDD, with specifically identified PBOs  mods moved to SSD and maintained with a directory [symbolic junction] link.

As an example, I recently started playing on a Chernarus Redux map and profiled file operations with ProcMon.

7OuQTcG.png

The picture above shows results based on just over an hour in-game.  I noted down the times when I hit decreased frames/stuttering/lag.  This information, along with occurrence counts (outlined in red)  provides a pretty good indication of what would benefit being placed on an SSD.  A few months back I went through the same process with Chernarus Winter and it dramatically reduced performance degradation I experienced in game. YMMV.

Edited by woodysg
Completely forgot how I had linked the mods, i updated the post to show what method I used.
  • Like 1

@Tich

"...The writes it does do is noway near enough to degrade an SSD not for years and years and years..."

ANY writing to a SSD degrades it PERIOD, regardless how small or how often it is done.  Did I put TIME LIMIT on my statement?  NO!  I stated a FACT.  Did I not also ask about the AGE of the drive?  New or used?  A new drive has a lot of writes to it...a used drive may only have a handful left.  Thus why I said "...There is also one other consideration as well...".  Consideration is defined as:  "...careful thought...".  In other words - SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!

"...the game won't limit it's read speed..."

What PROOF do you have of this?  Could you PROVIDE THE PROOF so that we ALL CAN SEE THIS PROOF?

I NEVER said ARMA has restricted data access speeds.  To wit:  "...For example, it the game says to pull data at 100 mb/s..." (typo mistake in my original text - should have been "let's say the game says to...".  'Example' is defined as "... a thing characteristic of its kind or illustrating a general rule..."  Thus, I NEVER said ARMA ran at that speed.

Also, there are MANY games which DO have a 'set speed limit'.  This is shown over and over by the videos done by Linus Tech Tips.  Where having a SSD or HDD MADE NO DIFFERENCE!  You have shown me that you did not even bother to view the evidence provided before making untrue claims.

"...the game files are read just as much as the mod files..."

And you KNOW that the ARMA,Exe is read just as many times as all the other files?  For the ARMA.Exe IS part of the 'game files'.  What do you base this claim off of?  Could you provide the PROOF of such?  What program did you use to determine what file is read how often and by what?

I provided proof to back up my claims.  You provide NONE but accusations which can be easily debunked by performing a general Google search.  I have merely stated FACTS which are known and easily proven as such.

You're more than welcome to dispute what I stated, sadly, my claims are known facts.  Are yours? And if you claim yours are, provide the proof then please.  For all facts should AGREE with each other, NOT DISPUTE each other!

I await your proof.

;)

Advertisement