Liqu1dShadow

Patrol Heli Mission Exist?

11 posts in this topic

Advertisement

I had a look through A3XAI's config and I can't find any method to set waypoints, just fixed spawn location with random roaming like Occupation has.

I've seen this done on ARMA 3 servers with vehicle patrols but not helicopter patrols yet. Might be something worth writing if you want it, perhaps you could look at the Occuption transport code as a bit of an idea of where to start?

My only comment is that having an offsensive heli on a fixed path will result in people building their bases on its' path so they can destroy it and take any loot. I know I did on an old Overpoch server :)

• Like 1

Hello @Liqu1dShadow - It may not be what you want, but it WILL work! 

Open up the map in SP editor

Place your heli down and configure as you desire setting the 'PLACEMENT RADIUS' to a large number

Place your WP's as you desire

Loop the WP's

Save the mission

Re-PBO

If you set the radius to a large number such as 3km, then the heil will spawn somewhere in the 3km area.

BUT, as @Riker2335 stated, this becomes a 'known path'.  Granted, they will not know where it will start, but they WILL KNOW where it be going.

HOWEVER, using some very simple scripting, you can add/subtract random numbers from each WP on every restart or cycle.  I would suggest on each cycle.  Place said script in the 'On Activation' field of WP1.  This would be an easy solution to what you seek and would help avoid the 'pattern' mentioned.

:)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Like 2

SP editor = ARMA's Single Player Editor...  ;)

Just set an invisible marker with a 'name', for each WP, then the script can 'find it' and get its coordinates at which time you and use random numbers to add/subtract from it and 'place' the WP.

A simple example which I use in one of my scripts:

_wp0 =_unit1n addWaypoint [getMarkerPos "AirAttack", 0];
_wp0 setWaypointType "sad";
_wp0 setWaypointSpeed "LIMITED";
_wp0 setWaypointStatements ["true", format ["hint %1;",_leavemsg]];

_wp1 =_unit1n addWaypoint [getMarkerPos "AirStart", 1];
_wp1 setWaypointType "sad";
_wp1 setWaypointTimeout [_waitfor, _waitfor, _waitfor];

Make 100% sure, that you use the setWaypointCompletionRadius command!  Or else  they may never finish!  The AI cannot return to the EXACT spot where they started, especially, if they are an aircraft.  Using this command, when they get 'close' to the starting position, xyz will happen.  In my script, the vehicle and crew get deleted.

_wp2 =_unit1n addWaypoint [getMarkerPos "AirStart", 2];
_wp2 setWaypointType "move";
_wp2 setWaypointCompletionRadius 100;
_wp2 setWaypointStatements ["true", "cleanUpveh = vehicle leader this; {deleteVehicle _x} forEach crew cleanUpveh + [cleanUpveh]; deleteGroup _unit1n"];

:)

• Like 2

Advertisement