GolovaRaoul

Moving Custom Buildings Client-side increases performance?

21 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Quick question ( sorry I ask so much :P ), but I was wondering, currently I have all custom placed map content loaded on the server so no one can steal it. Would it be better for performance if I moved these client-side? And maybe encrypt the PBO so no one can steal it? Or won't this matter speaking of performance?

Thanks for responding ^^
GolovaRaoul

Hello GolovaRaoul,

Any PBO the client's load from you, can be 'viewed', even with the 'encryption'.  All it does it stop 'honest' people from looking at it.  I look at encrypted PBO's often.  It is not hard to 'view' them.  Do not waste your time, again, it only stops honest people.

The problem with pushing it to the clients, well, can THEIR machines handle it?  That becomes the problem.

You have 2 "FPS's":

Server performance

Actual Performance

Even if the server is running 60 FPS, does NOT mean a client will run it at 60 FPS.  I get a max of 25 FPS, not because of crappy servers, rather, a crappy PC on MY END.

EVERY OBJECT that is added to a map, DECREASES PERFORMANCE, as the engine must draw it and 'keep track of it'.  Want better FPS for the server?

Reduce objects (objects include AI, vehicles, players, etc. - ANYTHING that is added to the map)

Better scripts/Better written scripts

Less scripts

Better server PC

These are but a few things that can make things better.

Off-loading to the clients is not the way to go and could open up things for hacking/abuse.

:)

• Like 1

Advertisement

It all depends on what your "custom placed map content" is. Are they just scenery objects? Are they vehicles that clients need to interact with? 

In ArmA, you have a few ways of spawning in objects. A quick note, ArmA considers objects to be "vehicles", so this word is interchanged a lot.

createVehicle
createVehicleLocal
createSimpleObject

The "createVehicle" command runs globally, meaning whatever is created using that command will have to sync to every client and the server. This will degrade performance as that this vehicle (object) has to be synced with the server and client. The more you spawn, the more the server and the clients have to know about. However, this is required for any vehicle that you want other players to see you driving. 

"createVehicleLocal" is a command that only creates the vehicle(object) local to the computer running the command. These vehicles (Objects) are not synced across the network to all clients and the server, therefore only requiring the client that ran the command to render and know about it. This will cause issues if you did a "createVehicleLocal" with a car as that nobody else on the server will see it. All of Exile's traders are created this way as that it cuts down on requiring the clients and server to sync all the information.

"createSimpleObject" was a new addition to ArmA in version 1.62 (I think) that allows creation of a low network traffic objects. These objects are global as that the server and client know about them, however, the amount of data that has to be synced is significantly lower. You cannot create a drivable simpleObject car, however, you can create a prop car using this method. Exile's 3DEN tool does a great job at allowing people to create easy simple objects. Any simple object creation should happen on the server so you don't have objects creating every time a client joins. 

That being said, some things require being spawned on the server, some can be spawned on the client.

Just keep in mind, if you spawn a building locally on a client and, for example, some AI were walking towards it, they would walk right through it because it wasn't synced to the machine controlling them. 

As for encryption, it's scenery objects, not really worth the time and effort to 'encrypt' the mission PBO. 

• Like 2

On 10/24/2016 at 10:19 AM, GolovaRaoul said:

I was wondering, currently I have all custom placed map content loaded on the server so no one can steal it. 

What happens if someone steals your custom placed map content?    

Thats was where I was heading @BetterDeadThanZed  what happens if someone steals your custom content?  Maybe someone else takes credit for your work right?  That could be mitigated by sharing the work with the community so that you get some respect and admiration for creating it.  

Hello GolovaRaoul,

Well...you CAN do something about it.  I have held people legally liable for copyright violations of my works before.  If you create it, it is yours - period.  If it is used without your permission (unless 'fair use'), it is illegal - period.

The question becomes, how far will you fight such?

Without actually going to court, the best you can hope for is to get the thief's host/ISP to pull the plug on them per the DMCA Act.  Do note, you MUST fill out the paperwork CORRECTLY.  If not, your request will not be handled.  Any provider that 'serves' those illegal files can be requested to shutdown the violator per the DMCA Act.

You should put a copyright notice in the files which contain the material you created.  You also can register your works with the US Copyright Office as well electronically.  See:  http://www.copyright.gov/eco/

But, if it is stolen, it becomes upon you to do all the 'leg work'.  Also, the people who actually stole it, while 'guilty', how much money in damages do you think you could actually get?  $20?  $50?  Also, are you educated enough to proceed in US Federal Court, for unless you and the thief live in the same state, that is where it will have to be resolved.

Even doing it yourself, which is what I did once, an attorney the other time, it is not easy and will cost you money.

Question is:  Do the thieves possess more money several times over than what you will spend to recoup your losses?

Filing a DMCA notice is free however.

See:  https://www.google.com/search?q=astute&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=dmca+takedown+notice+how+to+file

Pirated software, music, and movies are a major problem.  Even with all the safeguards the professionals put in, it STILL HAPPENS.

Best thing to do?  Put in a copyright notice and if found being used without your permission, file a DMCA Takedown notice with all parties involved.

:)

@Z80CPU  We're not talking about pirated  copyright software, we are talking about Exile server admins putting objects on a map....  and hiding it server side to keep other server admins from copying it.     Surely you are not suggesting that people can take the Exile.Tanoa.pbo file which is already protected under Creative Commons copyright, edit it, and call it their own copyright protected under DMCA??? 

No Korwiin, go back and read the ENTIRE post.  He concerns that I answered, dealt with people stealing his works.

And I quote:

"...I have all custom placed map content loaded on the server so no one can steal it..."

"...And maybe encrypt the PBO so no one can steal it..."

Then:

You stated:  "What happens if someone steals your custom placed map content?"

Zed stated:  "There's nothing you can do about it."

THEN was my last post....

;)

Let's get real. No one is going to sue, or even consult an attorney because someone took your custom content, which uses Bohemia and maybe Exile's assets. Unless you actually created the assets, like some added mod (ie: Ryan's zombies), I'm pretty sure you have no rights to it. You understand we're talking about something made in the Eden Editor (ie: A military outpost) and placed on an admin's server to enhance the atmosphere, or maybe create a mission location, right?

• Like 2

Advertisement