Cael817

Base Maintenance

17 posts in this topic

Im sure this is described somewhere but i cannot seem to find it.

So how is base maintenance suppose to work? from looking in the database i dont see a connection between the territory being payed for "last_payed_at" and the individual base parts "maintained_at". I was under the impression that the base part was not going to decay as long as you payed protection for the territory but when i look at this im getting the feeling that base parts is going to start dissapear soon.

Im hoping that it works like, if the protection time runs out the flag is removed and if no new flag (by whomever) is placed within a set time (x days) the parts will start disappearing.

So how does it really work? keep it simple so i understand please ;-).

You dont pay your rent, your base disappears. Thats how it works. It doesn't get subtracted automatically and there are no warnings, which sucks. If it would auto-subtract the amount from your poptabs that would be sweet, or a message that pops up and says "Hey dumbass, pay your maintenance fees!" it would be much better IMO. Sucks logging in and seeing an empty space where your base was.

• Like 1

Advertisement

You dont pay your rent, your base disappears. Thats how it works. It doesn't get subtracted automatically and there are no warnings, which sucks. If it would auto-subtract the amount from your poptabs that would be sweet, or a message that pops up and says "Hey dumbass, pay your maintenance fees!" it would be much better IMO. Sucks logging in and seeing an empty space where your base was.

its in your xm8 under territories and it tells you the date its due its really not that hard to pay it on time. go to the flag dude at the trader scroll on him and hit pay territory protection done.  

• Like 3

There is a problem with the XM8 not displaying the updated date correctly when your payment is due unless it's only on the server I play on cuz it's stuck on 9-21

I've paid it and the date never changed however the admin looked in the DB and said the date changed there.

Personally I'd like it if you could pay forward on base maintenance at least 3 times.  If you are going out of town and/or cannot get to a computer to pay it then you should be able to pay for the next installment so you can extend the next time it's due at least 2 or 3 times max so you don't get back online after a couple of weeks away and stop playing cuz your shit is all gone.

Seen this happen many times and it's a good reason why players just all of a sudden stop playing.

Some sort of warning when you turn on the XM8 to remind you to go pay it would also be beneficial as well.

Edited by Brez

If it's a 4 week cycle, pay every 3rd week. 

If it's a 3 week cycle, pay every 2nd week. 

The peace of mind is worth the extra money you pay into for laziness. Check with your admin to find out the EXACT protection period. 

Just my $0.02. 

I enjoy base building but if its only there for a point of storage/safety then just buy a strider -

It's a mobile base with no on-going fee's. Built in thermals, large storage and a code locked door.

• Like 1

I enjoy base building but if its only there for a point of storage/safety then just buy a strider -

It's a mobile base with no on-going fee's. Built in thermals, large storage and a code locked door.

And easy to blow up.

• Like 1

And easy to blow up.

Debatable... they are pretty tanky and can take a heavy beating unless someone wants to waste a satchel on it... If you're smart about how/where you leave it you shouldn't have too many problems losing it.

@Brez, when i tested, i found that the protection ( last_payed_at) is updated in the DB but not in the XM8 until i restart the server and as im doing that now i quite frequently it works for me, but i see your problem here. But i guess the devs are working on this as they should have noticed that the value dont update pretty much right away after implementing it.

I do think it is enough to have the protection due date in the XM8 but i also think that a popupmessage would be nice if you didnt pay and its a short time left to pay but i dont know if such a message is worth it and it isnt all that hard to look in the XM8. But if you forget and loose days worth of work that would suck.

Having an option to prepay or have i have it automatically deducted from your balance would actually be nice, i mean ppl go on vacations, work tripsetc. sometimes for 4-6 weeks or longer. I dont really expect my shit to still be there after that long but it would be nice to at least give it a possibility =).

But back to some questions here.

#1 If i pay protection, the territory and all base parts will be safe and nothing will get deleted? (even if the "last_maintained_at" isnt updated, can someone confirm this without guessing? ie. seen it happen).

#2 If stuff is to be deleted, is that at the next restart? or does some cleanup script run all the time?

Correct me on this assumption...

It's not the building objects that despawns... It's the flag which then despawns every building object within it's radius?

If this is the case.. Not having a despawn timer on individual bundling objects may become a bit of an issue potentially.

I can see the DB is cleaner not having to keep track of those individual objects but I feel it's a "cutting corners" way of dealing with base objects.

IF you put down part of a base one week.. then you go back in two weeks and finish building it do you think it's fair to have even the newly placed objects despawn encompassed within the despawn time of the flag or should they each have their own degrade/despawn time and not all be associated with the one object.. the flag.

Edited by Brez

Advertisement