SleePyHollow150

Server crash after certain log in RPT.

Question

Hi all,

I've been having intermittent server crashes on my Exile Altis server (every day or so, maybe twice). I've checked the RPT and I've noticed a recurring entry just before the crash:

Deinitialized shape [Class: "C_Soldier_VR_F"; Shape: "a3\characters_f_bootcamp\common\vr_soldier_f.p3d";]

That line is always before the C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION that ensues.

I do have the full RPT available but it is quite big as I've got A3XAI debug on at the mo. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

25 answers to this question

Hi @Z80CPU,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if there's been a miscommunication or misunderstanding here but I'm not refusing to listen to your advice.

Some things have simple fixes, such as a quick change of code and that is why I was asking here - I was looking to see if anyone was aware of an obvious fix before I began troubleshooting. I wasn't trying to solve an entire issue by sidestepping conventional troubleshooting methods/processes - one of the first steps is to see if anyone else has had the issue and if there is an obvious fix. My fix is below as I followed my logical troubleshooting process. P.S. @Z80CPU, I did bother to read up on the issue and I do have backups!

I believe I have solved the problem by locating the files related to the log that was occurring (in the RPT) immediately before the crash. For anyone else who experiences it, this is the log I am referring to in the RPT:

Deinitialized shape [Class: "C_Soldier_VR_F"; Shape: "a3\characters_f_bootcamp\common\vr_soldier_f.p3d";]
  1. I initially confirmed with my server host company that there were no hardware issues.
  2. I deleted the steamapps folder off my server.
  3. I deleted the a3.pbo and the characters_f_bootcamp.pbo files off of my server, as well as their corresponding .bisign files. These are located in the addons directory.
  4. I ran the steam update process to download fresh copies of the above files and to replace the steamapps folder.

Once the above steps had been completed, I restarted the server and it hasn't crashed since.

I hope this is of use for anyone who comes across this error.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Edited by SleePyHollow150

Hello @SleePyHollow150,

MANY things can cause that 'generic' error message.

Start HERE.

You also could delete ARMA and start over too.

Not much help, I know.  And with that error, there is no 'one answer' sadly.

:(

Advertisement

Hi @Z80CPU

Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware it's a generic error message, but I've noticed this line of code that always appears:

I was wondering if anyone had any clues regarding this or whether nothing can be done?

Kind Regards,

Mark

@SleePyHollow150 - You're welcome!

Sadly, that is the problem, this error.  It is generic, to a degree.

About the only thing you can do is to RE-DOWNLOAD ARMA and re-install by RE-DOWNLOADING ALL THINGS!

Why?  Because you can get 'defective files' and not know it.  Using ANY device connected to a computer is NOT perfect.  Errors WILL happen.  I am sure in your life you have downloaded a corrupt file - This is this principle in action.  It is also why you see checksums, parity bits on RAM, and so on.  You can read a bit on the TCP/IP side of this errors  HERE.

Make a NEW folder on your HDD and download all those items to that folder.  Why?  In case you have a failing section on your HDD, the new data will NOT be written to those areas.  <-- This is an old technique that most today do not even know...  It deals with the possibility of having 'bad sectors'.

And once you have installed ARMA and Exile (with NO MODS), test it.  If it fails again, I would suspect the H/W.  Also make sure NO OVERCLOCKING is going on, with ANY DEVICE.  If so, set BIOS settings and any add-on board (video, etc.) to DEFAULT and re-try.

:)

Hi @Z80CPU,

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if I made it clear but this isn't running on my local machine - it's a dedicated server. I repaired the accounts' permissions and verified the core game files with the steam update.

Just had another crash after this code was called in the RPT again:

Thanks,

Mark.

@SleePyHollow150 - You're welcome!  :)

But who said it was THAT file?  Not me!  And did I say IT WAS A FILE?!?!?!?!   No AGAIN!  ;)

As an IT tech for 35+ years, I told you what to do based on common sense troubleshooting.  If you wish to dispute and not heed my advice, that choice is upon you.

And let me tell you too...I lost power here and I was playing ARMA.  Some files got trashed.  I also verified.  It said it 'fixed them all', yet when certain vehicles get close, it sounds like a MODEM trying to connect.  But Steam said they were 'all ok'.  BS to that!  ;)  Why?  Read below and see why!

"...Checksums are a useful way to ensure that a file doesn’t have an error. If a random error occurs due to download problems or hard drive issues, the resulting checksum will be different, even if it’s just a tiny error.  However, these cryptographic hash functions aren’t perfect..."

See:  https://www.howtogeek.com/363735/what-is-a-checksum-and-why-should-you-care/

This is why I said to RE-DOWNLOAD!  I also said to install PLAIN DEFAULT ARMA and Exile ONLY!  You did NOT!  There are NO 'VR Soldiers' in DEFAULT Exile.   So, I gave you advice and it appears you have IGNORED IT!

I gave you a valid solution to what I see as the potential problem and you do not wish to comply.  MANY things can look like something else.  A USB joystick does not work.  What is wrong with?  It does not work in Slot 1, but it does in Slot 2.  My mouse works in both?  What is wrong?  See?  It is not as easy as you would like to think it.  In this 'silly example', it is the Joysticks cable that is bad.  When the cable is plugged into Slot 2, the cable is moved thus 'connecting' the broken ends.  And YES, I have seen such as this before!  ;)

This is why I told you to do what I said to do.  ;)

I nor can anyone else help someone if they refuse to follow directions. 

:)

@Z80CPU - I was just trying to get some specific detail on that log and see if anyone else had ran into that issue.

I wasn't disagreeing with your idea/method. It's always been in my mind but as a last resort due to the time it takes compared to the time I have spare.

@SleePyHollow150 - My last post might have 'sounded' that I was angry.  I was not.  :)

And you could have sat at Google and typed:  exilmod.com "YOUR ISSUE"

It would have shown all posts with your issue in it.

NO ONE can tell you what is wrong.  This is what I tried to explain to you.  Hardware AND/OR software can cause this.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to 'fix it' without doing what I said.  Oh, you may get LUCKY and 'hit upon it', I doubt it.

1st Mistake - No backups

2nd Mistake - Trying solve a 'WHOLE' item instead of examining the CORE components that make the 'whole.  This is the most foolish and time consuming method that one could employ.

Your 'error' can be caused by one or MORE of the following:

#1 - Bad hardware

#2 - Bad HDD

#3 - Bad RAM

#4 - Corrupt OS

#5 - Corrupt/bad ARMA files

#6 - Corrupt ARMA/Exile/And the mod you refuse to take out

#7 - Incorrect configuration of the game files - e.g. Spawning 100k AI in

The above is NOT a 'complete list'.  How will you know it is #2?  Or #6?  You tried it YOUR WAY, it did not work for ya, now did it?  ;)

There are no 'real' shortcuts to success, it ALWAYS takes HARD WORK the vast majority of the time.  You did even BOTHER TO SEARCH THIS WEBSITE!!!  You did?  Then you would have SEEN THESE:

Or this one:

Or this one:

And there are about 235+ MORE POSTS with your 'issue'.

It would appear that very little effort has been placed by to properly solve this.  As I posed to one of the posters, why should we FIX YOUR PROBLEMS when you do not as we say?

You were given proper and correct advice on how to resolve this issue.  You refuse to do it.  You refuse to even use Google to find the solution.  And by the way, those 238 returns for THIS EXACT ERROR IN EXILE, I came about by JUST USING GOOGLE!

Again, I have given you proper advice and the tools you need to solve this.  You refuse to comply.

I can offer no more assistance to you. You have been given the tools in which to solve your issue.  I am sorry.

Good luck to you.

:(

Edited by Z80CPU

Advertisement