Sign in to follow this  
DemonDoc68

Exile mission questions

4 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I'm trying to make a mission file on Altis with exile and a few other 3rd party mods that way me and my buddies can play on it during our off time. We have our own server for our community so all I'm trying to figure out is, can I make just a mission file and have exile work on it? I have been trying to figure this out for a couple of days now and every walk through I've seen is telling me I need to do stuff with servers and every time I try to start the scenario from the downloads tab it says failure to connect to server. Please help!

Hello @DemonDoc68,

'Start a mission from the download tab'???  You have lost me on that one!

If you wish for you and OTHERS to play on the SAME MAP/MISSION, you MUST SET UP A SERVERPERIOD!

Now, this server can be on YOUR PC (running the server exe AND the client exe), a second PC at you home, or a rented server ($$$).  But you MUST have a server PERIOD!

This is why you see (as you stated) "...every walk through I've seen is telling me I need to do stuff with servers...".  You will NOT get away from that!

To set up a server on ANY of the listed means ones above (3 - Same PC, 2nd PC, rented PC), ALL the steps are IDENTICAL!

SO, find a CURRENT AND UP-TO-DATE tutorial and follow it EXACTLY!  Backing up ALL files EVERY TIME before you make ANY CHANGES!

It is not hard to do IF YOU FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!

Steps (After Core ARMA Server Is Setup - See Below For Link):

#1 - BASIC ARMA CORE SERVER:  This is the VERY FIRST STEP HERE:  https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server

#1a - TEST the basic ARMA server with any default mission that comes with Bohemia such as WarLords.  Does not work?  Go to #1 till it DOES work.

#1b - BACKUP ALL SERVER FILES BEFORE PROCEEDING!

#2 - Find a current Exile tutorial and READ IT and make sure you UNDERSTAND THE STEPS BEFORE STARTING!

#3 - Set up the DEFAULT Exile server and BACKING UP ALL CHANGES BEFORE MODIFYING ANY FILE by FOLLOWING THE MOD's DIRECTIONS EXACTLY!

#4 - TEST the default server

#4a - If default server does not work, go to #3

#5 - BACK UP ALL FILES BEFORE ADDING ANY MOD

#6 - Install ONE MOD AT A TIME

#7 - BACK UP ALL FILES

#8 - TEST server with new mod

#8a - If test fails with new mod, restore backup from #5 and go to #6 again

#9 - Go to #5 till you are finished adding mods

#10 - Make a COMPLETE BACKUP of ALL FILES!

#11 - Done!

The 3 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS:

#1 - READING and FOLLOWING ALL DIRECTIONS EXACTLY!  A simple forgotten or misplaced comma or semi-colon will keep the server from runningBE FOREWARNED OF THIS!

#2 - Making a backup at EVERY STEP!

#3 - Using this forum/Google to find answers.  I would wager EVERY set up question/issue you could think of has already been answered on here!  A 'better' way to search on this forum and you do it thru google is this:

In the 'search box' of your browser, you type:  site:exile.majormittens.co.uk  xyz

xyz = what you're searching for.  The above tells google to ONLY search the exile.majormittens.co.uk's website and NO WHERE ELSE!  This 'trick' can be used on any site, not just exile.majormittens.co.uk's.  ;)

You will also (most likely) need to open/allow/forward ports for Steam and ARMA to 'talk to' the outside world.  Otherwise, your friends will not 'see it' and/or connect to it.  AGAIN, Google is your FRIEND!  Search:  arma ports steam open

There are MANY tutorials on here how to set up a server.  You are REQUIRED to have 'above average' scripting skills as basically no type of an ARMA server is 'plug-n-play' sadly.  :(

And since you appear to be 'new' (as we ALL were at one time) do NOT read/install/think about  ANYTHING concerning ExtDB3DO NOT!  This is an ADVANCE topic which will be WAY OVER YOUR HEAD!  Leave it ALONE:)

It is simple and easy, and you can set up the default Exile server in less than 30 minutes.  It IS easy!

Good luck!

:)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Like 2

Advertisement

@DemonDoc68 -

You sure can IF you have installed the correct mods that you wish to use.  Remember, EVERYBODY (this INCLUDES the server) must be running the SAME MODS (or keys) in MOST NORMAL CONDITIONS.  There is a LOT more to this as some mods ONLY run on the client and some mods ONLY run on the server.  And you MUST (in most cases) have a 'key' installed for each mod.

An example is the JSRS Sound mod, it runs on the client ONLY, and the Exile Server mod ONLY runs on the server.  And you would (in NORMAL cases) need the JSRS key on the server.

The easiest way I figure where it should be running is this:  Does this mod change things such as sounds or how my player moves/interacts with something?  Yes, LOCAL ONLY MOD.  No?  SERVER ONLY MOD.    Or, does this mod add something that everybody must see/use/hear/interact with, such as vehicles or weapons?  YES?  SERVER AND LOCAL MOD,

Note:  These were just 2 examples of a determining what 'needs to be where'.

Due note, there are SOME mods that must be on BOTH SERVER AND CLIENT.  Such as VCOM's AI mod.

Again, sadly, ARMA is NOT a 'plug-n-play' server.

And your welcome, and thanks for saying 'thanks', clicking the 'heart' icon on both posts would be nice too!

:)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Like 1

Advertisement