Sign in to follow this  
Papawolf

Minefields around the map?

6 posts in this topic

Hello Community!
I used the search bar and looked for "minefields" but nothing interesting popped up so i will ask here with a new topic.

At the moment i customize a takistan server (pve clan server) with full desert feeling and i was thinking about mines all over the map or maybe in specific positions.
Is there a way to do this? Maybe with DMS Missions?

Hi @Papawolf, I'm sure there's a way to do it procedurally with a script but that could end up being frustrating for the users more than anything else.

If you just want then in specific locations or concentrated in one or more areas here and there, I'd suggest just editing your mission file in Eden and placing them on the map by hand. If you want some randomisation, you could over-populate areas a bit and then select all the mines in an area and set the chance of being present to 70% or something like that.

Someone else will have other ideas and probably something a LOT better than me but that's how I'd personally start laying mines if I was going to add them to a mission file. Ensures they'll be where I want them to be (appropriate areas and not in the middle of someone's base).

Advertisement

Hello @Riker2335, thanks for replying.
Yeah you are right but the server is restricted to a certain number of people who likes it very ... tough. Me included ^^
Also the concept of the server is Desertfeeling and most of the soldiers in warzones get killed from IED's.

I will try this, that sounds kinda easy. how do you think it will affect the server fps? shouldnt be a problem at all with 20-30 mines in a 1x1km area i guess?

@Papawolf Sounds like the server is run a bit like my own - heavily customised for a small group of like-minded people.

Performance wise, it shouldn't be too bad.... the more objects you put in an area that will require physics calculated and managed per-player, the poorer performance will be but I'd personally try it with dynamic simulation enabled on the mines and just don't pack them too tight and you should be fine.

Definitely try whatever you would consider a moderate density of mines in a restricted area first and see how it goes with a couple of you in that area. I suspect that number of mines would be MORE than fine though but it is ARMA we're talking about and the engine can be unpredictable at times so who knows :)

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 5:30 PM, Papawolf said:

Hello Community!
I used the search bar and looked for "minefields" but nothing interesting popped up so i will ask here with a new topic.

At the moment i customize a takistan server (pve clan server) with full desert feeling and i was thinking about mines all over the map or maybe in specific positions.
Is there a way to do this? Maybe with DMS Missions?

@Papawolf Try this Simple IED Script by Phronk , its easy to use if you know how to add markers to your map.You can download the script and it tells you how to implement it and set it up. I use it on my server with about 5 IEDS per marker with 13 markers, you can set it higher or lower. Make sure that the markers you place are square and not circles or rectangles. If you have any questions then post them here and I will try to help you out.

Edited by NFGCaboose-1
add credit to author of script
  • Like 1

@NFGCaboose-1
hey there!
i know how to place markers with exile_eden but then you have to select them to be a safezone or spawnzone etc. How do you set up the markers?
and a thought of mine, cant i just put one big marker on 90 % of the map and configure it with like 30 IED's ? i mean the script will look for roads so it will be much more randomized.

Edited by Papawolf

Advertisement