DeathInc

Tree house?

7 posts in this topic

Hello DeathInc,

Well..you can build one...sorta...

That is a 'trick' I do to help 'camouflage' a base  I have been doing before Exile with epoch.  The problem is that on the pine trees and other trees, the lower branches you can 'walk thru'.  The higher one?  NO!  They act like a wall, and at times, will 'push you off' the floor.  You also can not 'step over them' either, at least I could not nor 'crawl under them'.

Also, if you cut a tree down and then place a floor let's say 3m off the ground where the tree was, at reboot, the tree will 'grow' thru the floor.  No damage will occur.  I do not know what would happen if the tree's 'spot' was occupied by something (items) such as a safe though.  Doors, floor, and walls pose no problem with a tree in them/thru them.

Do note though, it does not turn out as well as you may think it will.    You can get basically one floor/one room (1x1) per tree.  I would suggest you setup a default Exile server and PRACTICE this building method BEFORE doing it in 'real life'.  It can be tricky and difficult at times.

Yes, you can build one, you just have to watch out for the branches at the top of trees.

:)

Advertisement

i was thinking more along the lines of building up off the ground on stilts. being able to have the territory flag perhaps on the roof? Like moved to the roof or something. The territory would still be based on ground level but just have the ability to build off the ground. 

Stilts <> Treehouse...  ;)

Also, you CAN build off the ground!   "...if you cut a tree down and then place a floor let's say 3m off the ground..."  Why do you think you can not???

The ability of placing the flag on the roof can be done now with default exile (if memory serves me well).  However, on practically all Exile servers, this is forbidden as it can make getting the flag almost impossible.

Stilts?  There are ALREADY IN THE GAME!  See here:  Stilts

So I am at a loss.  You ask for stuff that can already be done as well as asking for 'apples', yet you mean 'oranges'.

Stilt Houses

Tree Houses

I think you really need to learn what Exile is and what it has by default as well as learn the proper definitions to words...  ;)

I suggest you get your head out of your ass and stop being a douchebag in your posts.

Your previous post did not specify that the plot pole would be off the ground.

I was going by the assumption that you could not start your base off the ground. Building into a tree or in the foliage of the tree is idea. But...

A treehouse is a broad term. True, the basic definition is the following: "a structure (such as a playhouse) built among the branches of a tree" - Merriam-Webster.

If you go strictly by that definition then yes, I have no idea what I am referring to or the meanings of words. And yet you would still be an asshat.

If however you were to read more about tree houses you would find for example: " Even today, treehouses are built by some indigenous people in order to escape the danger and adversity on the ground. In some parts of the tropics, houses are either fastened to trees or elevated on stilts to keep the living quarters above the ground to protect occupants and stored food from scavenging animals. " -- wikipedia Treehouses article.

I italicized and underlined the part about stilts.

If you were to read further down the article you would find a section on Support Methods and Technology in which you would find a section specifically mentioning the use of Stilts.

" Struts and stilts are used for relieving weights on a lower elevation or straight to the ground; Tree houses supported by stilts weigh much less on the tree and help to prevent stress, potential strain, and injury caused by puncture holes.[5] Stilts are typically anchored into the ground with concrete although new designs, such as the “Diamond Pier”, accelerates installation time and they are less invasive for the root system.[6] Stilts are considered the easiest method of supporting larger tree houses, and can also increase structural support and safety. "

Here is a Treehouse in Papua New Guinea:

Korowai_Treehouse_5.jpg

Notice in the above photo, the liberal usage of Stilts?

I think I have proven my point.

On the topic of the flag, when I last played Exile (~6 - 8 months ago), you had to place the plot pole on the ground. Therefore, it would not be untoward of me to assume that it was still the case especially when reading other threads mentioning the inability to place a plot pole on a ship due to the plot pole actually referencing the sea bed.

Again, you sir are an asshat.

The Treehouse guide on Treehouses:

http://www.thetreehouseguide.com/faq-definition.htm

Since the base would be in a jungle and among the trees, it can easily be assumed that it would rely on trees for support in some fashion assuming the player wants their base to blend in. Otherwise, it would not qualify as a treehouse.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_house

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tree house

Edited by DeathInc
Sources

Ah...it appears you have not mastered the art of taking criticism nor hearing of the truth yet.  Also, not once did I ever exhibit nor resort to any name calling of you....  ;)

You:  "...Your previous post did not specify that the plot pole would be off the ground..."

Me (previous post):  "...The ability of placing the flag on the roof can be done now with default exile..." - I guess I did mention it!  Do tell!  Say it aint so!

You:  "... being able to have the territory flag perhaps on the roof? Like moved to the roof or something..."

Me:  "...The ability of placing the flag on the roof can be done now with default exile..."

You:  "...True, the basic definition is the following: "a structure (such as a playhouse) built among the branches of a tree" - Merriam-Webster..."

Me:  English is my native language.  I could CARE LESS WHAT *YOU* 'THINK' the term means.  I, nor anyone else, is a mind-reader.  There is a CLEAR DISTINCTION between a 'tree house' and a 'stilt house'.  I am sorry that the world does not evolve around you and YOUR definitions of words.

Some examples:

A stilt house can be built in  a field with no trees.  A tree house can not be built in a field with no trees.

A stilt house gets it main and sole support from the stilts.  A tree house's  main support is from the tree itself.  Stilts are not required and when they are used, the stilts provide a secondary means of support, not the primary means of support.

Also, since what you quoted in your post is in direct conflict with the actual meanings of the words, these 'articles' are worthless and are not impressive.  As matter of fact, they are flat out WRONG.

From the 'Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture':

tree-house.
1. Dwelling built among the branches of trees, affording shelter from floods, wild animals, etc.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/education/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/tree-house

Also, is it not possible for you to build a base with the flag on the ground, then ask the admin to remove said flag and then you place the new one on top?  Yes it is!  But, I did say too "...the ability of placing the flag on the roof can be done now with default exile (if memory serves me well)...", which clearly denotes that I could be wrong, mainly as every server I have seen have forbidden the placing of the flag anywhere but on solid ground.

Is it not also possible to run a script or modify Exile so a flag can be placed anywhere?  YES!

See example of this here: 

Bottom line, you asked "...Is it possible to build a tree house?"  And I answered YES.

Then you said "...i was thinking more along the lines of building up off the ground on stilts..." - Though you asked about a tree house, not a stilt house at first!

I said that a stilt house is not a tree house - which it IS NOT!  The ONLY thing they have in common is that both are off the ground!

FACT:  You do not even need a tree nor stilts to even build a house 'off the ground' in Exile!

But what I find entertaining is that if you know so much, why are you on here asking then?

The level of ignorance and your level of immaturity is shown throughout your response.  I gave you valid answers and corrected you on your false belief in the meanings of two words in order to provide you with proper and correct answers.  I also took my time to even answer you when no one else cared too.

It would seem you would be appreciative of the fact that I thought enough of you to help you and provide you with the TRUTH.  What do you do instead?

You pitch a hissy fit!  Boo hoo for you!

You are not worthy of anymore of my time.  You seem to think you know it all and are unreceptive to new ideas or new concepts which are not of your own design.  I shall leave to you own devices.

Good day.

:)

Advertisement