DavieReid88

32bit or 64bit

23 posts in this topic

Hello guys, couple of questions.. Should i upgrade the server to 64bit?? Been leaning towards yes but just not 100% sure as there doesn't seem to be anything official released yet (if there will ever be)

Has anyone got there server running at this? and is it worth the upgrade? thanks

• Like 1

Advertisement
43 minutes ago, kuplion said:

Tried and tested. Little to no difference for servers. But you'll have lots of overrides to do and maintain.

oh yea alot of overrride :)

for my server im going to stay with my 32 bits version atm till arma3 fix update soon and the next exile update :) HOPE soon too

but its ur decision :)

• Like 2

Its a hard choice, but i will recommend NOT UPDATE to 64 bits.

64 bits arma is much better, at least for me. I don't knew the reason, but i can run nicely only 64 bits arma client. With the old 32 bit client, my fps is really bad, lower than 30 =( With 64 bits its 60 at most time.

But for server, EXILE, its a lot of pain.
A lot of things will bug, that i can say: Bases, customs builds, sledge hammer stops to break containners. Those are what i find out =(
You can fix the doors don't openning using a temporary fix, but it will lag much more your server =(
You can fix the doors, at least for players bases buildings, removing the doors and put them again, but it will work only with players builds =(
I don't find a fix for Sledge Hammer getting metals from breaking containners =(

So, im wishing that releases soon a new exile version compatible with new arma 3 update.
I restored my old server backup, and im using the 32 bits version by now.

Edited by joew00

oh yea alot of overrride :)

yes I soor that when I was playing around on the test server yesterday lol there are lots and its constantly changing at the moment.

I don't find a fix for Sledge Hammer getting metals from breaking containners =(

did you see this:

I haven't tried it on the test server yet (busy real life week this week) but would be interested to know if it works.

I'm kind of inclined to stay with 32bit server and let the clients connect with 64bit, but I was looking at all options as the door fix is known to drop fps on 32bit servers but don't know what its doing on 64bit servers, problem is I have to do something because that last Extended base mod has forced our hand, up until now we haven't updated the live server but now we either have to update or drop EBM.

For the work involved and the gains made, it really isn't worth it, 64 bit server for Exile is not a magic pill.
You'e better off spending your time converting Exile simulation to the new dynamic simulation and optimising your code for gains.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just to point out Clouds 64bit changes are basically done.
The recent changes are because he also included changes for Dynamic Simulation aswell :)

Personally i would recommend you test it out on a testserver.
Most of the work is done for you already, its really just some ExileServer Overrides.

Some tips i recommend are
http://meldmerge.org/  to compare vanilla Exile files with overrides etc, or to compare your own custom changes etc

Adding code like this into your exile_server bootstrap preInit.sqf
This way it will complain in RPT if you mess up an override (i.e missing file / wrong path)

{
    _code = '';
    _function = _x select 0;
    _file = _x select 1;

if (isText (missionConfigFile >> 'CfgExileCustomCode' >> _function)) then
    {
        _file = getText (missionConfigFile >> 'CfgExileCustomCode' >> _function);
    };

_code = (preprocessFileLineNumbers _file);
    if (_code == ("")) then {diag_log format["ERROR: Exile File Missing or Empty: %1", _file];};
    _code = compileFinal _code;
    missionNamespace setVariable [_function, _code];
}

Anyway goodluck whatever you decide todo

• Like 5

Advertisement