Jerrico

Managing Players - The life of an Admin

11 posts in this topic

Hey my fellow admins..

Over the years of being a player and perusing many server/clan forums, the commonality seems to be players claiming admins abusing their powers and/or admins having to defend themselves from these claims.

I guess it was just a matter of time before I ended up being dragged into this position, but I noticed in the logs the other day a player telling other players over side that I - the admin - had been abusing my admin power previously. Now, I know it shouldn't matter as I know the truth, but this really bothers me for many reasons and I am unsure about how to deal with this. Or even if I should...

Just reaching out to get others insights into if and how you manage this? Do I ignore it and let it pass? Do I pull players aside and say WTF? Or just ban them for disrespecting me on my server (that I pay for out of my own pocket)? I don't want my 'brand' to be falsely tarnished because someone feels a sense of loss, but I also don't want to inflame the situation either. 

At the end of the day I spend countless hours, as I am sure most of you all do too, in trying to create environments for unique experiences and sharing it with the community for others to enjoy. Having someone completely disrespect me on my own private server is kind of a hard pill to just swallow..

Your thoughts are appreciated :D

Cheers

Edited by Jerrico
tweak wording

ShadowPlay all your kills. If a player really really requires proof, upload the kill.

EDIT: A snippet from my rules..

• No accusations without clear evidence
  • Our admins do not cheat, but if you're going to accuse us, have evidence

Edited by kuplion
  • Like 3

Advertisement

Thanks. Good point. Set some rules. 

I have sort of done this since this became a topic, but not as defined as that. More a rant in server info blah blah.. lol

The instance I believe the particular player was referring to I wasn't even the shooter. All I can deduce is that they believe I was telling people where they were, so there is really no way to prove innocence there. I guess they could be thinking I was the shooter though as I don't have the kill feed on my servers..

4 minutes ago, Jerrico said:

Thanks. Good point. Set some rules. 

I have sort of done this since this became a topic, but not as defined as that. More a rant in server info blah blah.. lol

The instance I believe the particular player was referring to I wasn't even the shooter. All I can deduce is that they believe I was telling people where they were, so there is really no way to prove innocence there. I guess they could be thinking I was the shooter though as I don't have the kill feed on my servers..

This method covers things like that as best it can. They require proof, you can provide it if they insist. Simples. :)

• Like 2

Your server is like your home. It is totally up to you who comes and in and what they do once they are there. They are free to leave and go elsewhere if they don't like that.

@kuplion makes a good point there, keep shadowplay in mind if you do PvP just so you can squash any crap claims if needed. Also, on the point of the rules. I make it quite clear, very quickly that we won't tolerate any claims of admin abuse or hacking in side chat on our servers. It's only serves to decrease player population and why should you suffer that. Tell them to desist immediately and make their claim publicly on the web with proof. You could also add that if they can't show proof, you can only think they are a member of a rival server community trying to decrease your population on purpose and you will permanently ban them.

I find that the best way to run these servers is to be as fair as possible but, with a tough hand. Don't take shit. I mean, would you invite someone round to your house and then sit there while they slag you off..?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jerrico said:

If you go to "@ExileServer\extDB\logs\YEAR\MONTH\DATE\Exile_DeathLog.log" you will find a death log in there which shows you who did what and when. You should be able to find him in there. Not sure if this is deactivated if you don't run kill messages..? Maybe you could check for us...

Looks a bit like this:

[03:46:00:179890 +01:00] [Thread 4748] Dexxxx was killed by Emmxxxx! (First Blood, 920m Range)

• Like 2

Hello Jerrico,

Never forget this saying:  “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

As far as recording yourself, why?  It is your server and you can do as you pleaseWhy must you prove anything to them?  Act 'crooked' and people will leave.  Act 'decent' and people will stay/come.

No matter what you do, someone will complain.  Question is, what do you do about it.

You could and probably should, make it a rule/policy, that if you have no evidence, keep your mouth shut or be banned.  If you do have evidence, share it so that we all may be better in the end.  This goes with this saying too:  "Either you're part of the problem or part of the solution".  Which do they wish and which do you wish?  Put the burden of proof upon them, not you!

This 'policy' is what most civilized countries do as well.  If you suspect someone of a crime, you go to the police with some evidence of said crime.  No evidence?  No crime!  In my country (US), making a 'false report of a crime' is a crime within itself.  So if these 'drama kids' spout a bunch of lies, warn them and if it continues, boot them!  Remember, who runs the server, you or them?

I would not allow myself to get 'pulled into' this drama.  Be above it, not in it!

:)

Post Edit Note:   When you confront these people, do it privately.  Let them know that you're showing them respect and treating the as a 'man' or a 'woman' as the case may be.  State that since you're treating as young men/women, you ask for the same treatment back.  By doing such, they will respect you most times in return.  Do not curse, name call, or raise your voice.  Do listen and allow them to speak.  Even if they do not act properly (i.e. act immature), you will know that you at least did the right thing by treating them properly.  Two wrongs never make a right.  And if they still 'act the fool', then you will know that a ban would be justified. 

We all make mistakes.  The difference is what we do when we're made aware of those mistakes.

;)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Like 3

I don't prove anything to anyone. If I were accused of abusing my admin access, I'd tell them "Yes. I am. You should probably play someplace else where admins don't abuse their power." Who cares what asshats say?

Edited by BetterDeadThanZed
  • Like 4

You need to remember that everyone who plays arma is the best player in the world. The only way they can possibly be killed is by someone who is hacking/cheating.

My response is always the same, provide video proof on our forums or drop the accusations. If they continue they are kicked, and temp banned if they still don't get the message. These players are toxic, and if left unchecked, will destroy your player base.

• Like 2

Advertisement