tinboye

Windows Server 2016 Essentials Help

7 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience with windows server 2012 / 2016

I am trying to remove the AD CS so i can remove domain controller

I can go to the server roles section to try and remove the adcs but the boxes that are checked, they are greyed out.

Yes this would tell me that my user account does not have enough permissions to do this, Yet when I go into Active Directory Users and Computers

select my name, and choose add to group, I added myself to Enterprise Admins and Domain Admins, and I can confirm I am a member of these groups, I sign out and back into my account, and try to uninstall, and still unable to uninstall.

http://i.imgur.com/QIWkEAf.png

You could run a cmd prompt as administrator (probably can do with PS) and try uninstalling via command line.

To query the roles and services installed;

ServerManagerCmd.exe -query

To remove a single role or service;

ServerManagerCmd.exe -remove <name of role or service>

Restart server if needed. You can use a switch at the end to manually restart;

ServerManagerCmd.exe -remove <name of role or service> -restart

Advertisement

can't recommend essentials, pretty bad perfomance, especially the win10 gui is just taking unncessary loads of perfomance

We have set a server under 2016 and in the process of moving to another server running 2016. I also have set up a number of test Exile servers under 2016. My observations:

1. If you are using a hosted service (e.g. OVH) you get their stock install (e.g., software mirrored disks). Only the base 2016 GUI install is used. You don't have to unlock the DLLs with the most recent 64-bit fixes. I don't find the Windows 10 GUI any more of a problem than 2012's (Windows 8 - which sucked).

2. If you are "rolling your own" when you install Server 2016 make sure you select the GUI version (unless you really like doing everything from the command line - if that's the case maybe you want to go Linux :-) ). Don't add any unnecessary  roles (e.g., Domain Controller, Terminal Server, etc.) Think about a second disk for putting backups of your configs and databases on a different disk (if you have two partitions on one un-mirrored disk you could lose everything. We had mirrored SSD fail on us too). If possible back up your configs and database to an offsite location on a regular basis (I do every 12 hours to off site).

Generally (day job is partially IT security), disable anything that you don't need (this will also help with performance). Set up the firewall - don't leave it wide open. If you have a physical firewall - set up your server in a DMZ (if possible) and only open the right ports/port ranges to that server (you need a more sophisticated firewall for a proper DMZ - not the foolishness Linksys, Netgear call a DMZ on their home firewalls - the SMB/SoHo firewalls often have the features but that will cost you $500+). If you only have one person on the server console consider using two-factor authentication. There are a couple of free solutions out there (Google is your friend). And make sure your patch, patch, patch...

Advertisement