kuplion

How / When did you start hosting Arma servers?

12 posts in this topic

Late 2012. Was just curious about it, so thought I'd take a look. Had no idea what I was doing (still don't :D) but picked up lots of useful knowledge along the way. Still tinkering with my dedi these days but haven't done much arma lately.

Advertisement

A group of us played Arma 2 back in 2011, we used to hang out on CQ24/7's Teamspeak, when they realised we weren't playing their Battlefield server they called us a bunch of money grabbing trolls and the name stuck, we grew to a group of around 30 players, so we decided to open an Arma server of our own in 2012.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kuplion said:

Title says it all. When did you, and/or how did you, get in to hosting Arma servers and why?

First, I hit Like. Good discussion question. You deserve the rep.

It all started about three years ago. A friend was playing DayZ Stand Alone and I asked about it. He had no one to play with, so I got it and played. It kinda sucked. So I graduated to ARMA II Epoch. Fell in LOVE!

When I found out I could fly choppers and have a chance to perfect that in game, I was hooked. I quickly found a great server and clan. Soon after, since I like breaking things and seeing what makes them tick. I started to explore scripting.

A month later I helped fix a major bug on our three ARMA II Epoch servers. I was on the team. They bought me ARMA III a bit later as a thank you for some other work and I started dabbling. Took what I learned in ARMA II and used it for much evil. Helped many folks set up servers and test stuff.  Wrote a few things of my own.

Now I have been asked to put the last three years to good use and learn Exile. So here I am, scripting and administering an Exile server.

Now a days, I'm into making map addons. I have all kinds of Altis and some Tanoa stuff that I only use on servers I help install. Works on any MOD and automatically loads the chosen map addons. That sort of thing. Once I have it all fleshed out and all the configs arranged. It will likely be released here.

Played probably 30 different Exile servers without being able to find the perfect one. Don't get me wrong, most were good and some were great but even the greatest ones always had something wrong with them.

Got excited for Tanoa, then frustrated with not being able get good fps on literally any server I tried. We thought we could do better so we tried, before coming to realize that it's actually the map's fault. So, we went in a completely new direction, and chose a unique map that no one has ever previously run Exile on - G.O.S Dariyah. We've been open for a couple of weeks now and things are running smooth.

Edited by Sampson

Started 3ish years ago in DayZ Mod, got tired of asshole admins abusing powers on their server. Decided to host my own, and failed miserably because the market was saturated. Moved into A3 Epoch, started learning SQF, disliked A3 Epoch's lockdown, and then I got Exiled, #ImSoExiled. Hosted a little bit with another community and stopped hosting shortly after Namalsk came out when they realized that hardcore was not something the majority of this community wanted. Started releasing scripts for Exile and now I'm developing Exile Life. ;) 

• Like 2

Advertisement