Chazypax

How to find coordinates

18 posts in this topic

All,

Firstly, I apologize if this post is in the wrong category. I couldn't find another relevant one to put it in.

I am having trouble adding custom spawn points. I know how to do it (just open mission.sqm paste the code and alter the coordinates etc).

The issue is, I just can't for the life of me understand how to get the coordinates. I've looked on the 3D editor built into Arma 3 and loaded up the Altis map and can see an "X,Y,Z" at the bottom left, I scroll my mouse wheel to zoom out the map to try and recreate when someone spawns in (obviously they're going to spawn and parachute out the sky, not just simply spawn on the ground) to get the coordinates but I don't think this is right. Can someone please tell me what to do in the editor to get the coordinates I need for another town.

Thanks.

you could open the map in 2d editor..

> there you can drag around the spawn points easily, but if you rename them, they will not be marked anymore as Exile spawnpoints(you see this when they change the icon), so you manually will need to set up this in mission.sqm again

or just take the coordinates from the 3d editor(x and y in this case) and lookup for the spawnpoints name you want to change

> for spawnpoints you don't need the Z-Axe , cause like above mentioned, you could also set this up in 2d editor easily

im not sure what you mean by scrolling out? even in the 3d editor I would use the Map(then it looks like 2d editor) to setup spawn points, cause the height and distance someones spawns will be setup somewhere else!

Edited by hieve

Advertisement

But in the mission.sqm for example:

class Item2
        {
            position[]={20978.369,27.78056,7045.6055};
            name="SpawnSelekano";
            text="Selekano";
            type="ExileSpawnZone";
        };

That's 3 different axis. Could I just get the X and Y coordinates from the 3D editor and slot them in here? Will that still work as all of them seem to have 3 axis X,Y and Z. I was just thinking of getting the coordinates from the editor then alter the mission.sqm coordinates and repack it and upload it back onto the server.

Edited by Chazypax

30 minutes ago, Chazypax said:

But in the mission.sqm for example:

class Item2
        {
            position[]={20978.369,27.78056,7045.6055};
            name="SpawnSelekano";
            text="Selekano";
            type="ExileSpawnZone";
        };

That's 3 different axis. Could I just get the X and Y coordinates from the 3D editor and slot them in here? Will that still work as all of them seem to have 3 axis X,Y and Z. I was just thinking of getting the coordinates from the editor then alter the mission.sqm coordinates and repack it and upload it back onto the server.

You can get X and Y from the editor and then set Z as 0, that will be enough for spawns.

30 minutes ago, Chazypax said:

Could I just get the X and Y coordinates from the 3D editor and slot them in here?

Yes, just remember in the sqm coords are x,z,y.

You can also save this and run it as an app in xm8 and it will give you coords and direction.

_pos = position player;
_dir = getDir player;

hint format ["Worldspace: %1, Direction: %2", _pos, _dir];

Edited by oSoDirty
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, oSoDirty said:

Yes, just remember in the sqm coords are x,z,y.

Therefore I need X,Y and Z coordinates? My plan is just to open the SQM Copy the Pyrgos spawn code change the name to Athira and then simply alter the coordinates. Am I missing something here?

Advertisement