Tobias Solem

Donator badges on the forums, and badges in general

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I've been wondering why there are donator badges on the forums? It's hard to say if it's a perk or way of "displaying" who donated and who didn't (which apparently only applies to some certain members). Given your (appropriate) stance on perks or returns for donations it seems slightly counter-intuitive. I'm glad you at least removed the "who last donated and how much"-list too, even though it inspires further donations, I think it brings some sense of entitlement. If anything, badges on the forums should be based on some merit (like contributors of scripts or other achievments to further the community) Donations should be given without any form of compensation, in my opinion, opening your wallet and giving helps you of course, but it shouldn't come with anything other than the simple "thanks"-message you get after donating. 

• Like 2

Advertisement

I don't disagree with you. But what's the difference between a message saying thanks and a little icon to say thanks?

1 hour ago, Taylor Swift said:

I don't disagree with you. But what's the difference between a message saying thanks and a little icon to say thanks?

Well, a "thanks" is something you get once, and don't wear as a badge. That's it I guess.

I just think it goes in line with your whole "donations should not come with anyting in return"-argument. 

51 minutes ago, maca134 said:

Are you serious... what is the problem with a simple badge? I think it's so trivial it's not even worth mentioning. 

It's simply a matter of principle and consistency. 

Something worth striving for, in my opinion. Hence the "criticism".

"but it shouldn't come with anything other than the simple "thanks"-message you get after donating." - @Tobias Solem    Isn't that what this is but formulated differently?

This is the way the team chose to say thanks for participating in our community, i dont see anything wrong with that ;p

Call bohemia! 

They are giving us heart's for donations.

But in all seriousness... It's a heart. Nothing more nothing less, I get the whole "principal" thing but it's just a heart.

Alot of non profit centers when receiving a donation will list the donators name on a wall or memorial type thing. It's not a perk but a permanent thank you.

Having a heart for donating does not seem like a perk or reward at all? It seems like a permanent thank you for contributions. Just such a trivial Matter to bring up in my opinion.

I feel like the devs and staff here keep getting flank for every little thing they do. It's no longer about them doing the right things but every other little thing they are apparently "doing wrong".

I'm sorry but I just find post like this trying to find little things to argue and get upset over is pointless. 

• Like 1

Advertisement