Blacksheep

1 or 2 crashes per day

24 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am observing 1-2 crashes per day on my dedicated Exile server, even without any user activity.

The funny part on this: I have exactly the same installation running within a docker container (same OS) on the same machine where it runs without crashes for more than a month. A core file is written but who is willing to analyse it? :D Should I open a bug against BI?

I will script now a heartbeat which will detect an outage and bring up the service again. But anyway: two crashes per day, especially when occurring during main playtime, is not that beautiful.

Regards

Blacksheep

Edited by Blacksheep

Advertisement
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:04 AM, Blacksheep said:

Hello,

I am observing 1-2 crashes per day on my dedicated Exile server, even without any user activity.

The funny part on this: I have exactly the same installation running within a docker container (same OS) on the same machine where it runs without crashes for more than a month. A core file is written but who is willing to analyse it? :D Should I open a bug against BI?

I will script now a heartbeat which will detect an outage and bring up the service again. But anyway: two crashes per day, especially when occurring during main playtime, is not that beautiful.

Regards

Blacksheep

hey are you using TRYK?

No. Naked exile server with A3XIA, IgiLoad, VEMF, Bikes, DMS + Missions. Moved it back into the docker container: Server is running without crashes.

Had yet no time to report it. Might be an issue with Debian 8. I was wrong saying that both OS (native and docker) are equal. I flushed successfully that the docker container was build on base of Ubuntu 14.10.

20 hours ago, Blacksheep said:

A3X[AI]

A3XAI can be a little dodgy. In my personal opinion I would have a go at removing it and seeing what happens. Almost all of the server hosters I have spoken to about A3XAI dropped it because it was causing crashing and/or bad performance.

Not saying this is definitely a cause but it is worth having a look at :D 

I run A3XAI and DMS and have not had any crashes. Not sure why you'd say A3XAI is dodgy - seems like well-written script that performs as advertised.

When we were demo'ing VEMF we had a few crashes. To be fair, I didn't do any further troubleshooting, we just went with DMS + custom missions.

I guess the advice stands, though - remove each mod until it no longer crashes!

One key difference between your host OS and Docker container may be the libraries it's linking to. Otherwise, hard to know why. Nobody wants to look at your core file, dude ;)

If I were you, I'd just keep it running happily in a Docker container. You get free restarts if it does crash, and it's more portable, too!

Maybe, just maybe, you should tell it not to crash? works a good 0.0000000000000000001% of the time :)

//not a made up number, i swear!

Edited by †RiH† StokesMagee

Advertisement