scarnox

Building your first base (noob guide)

20 posts in this topic

*** DISCLAIMER ***

I'm in no way an experienced Arma/Exile player. But I looked around for a guide before I began my first base and didn't find what I was looking for - so now I try to make it easier for others who start this great mod.

My experience

So, you've been roaming Exile for a while. You've found some loot and it was all good till you faced death. Everything was gone and back to being an "orange ninja".
This happens to all of us more than we like. But when you have your own little base you can gather stuff as a backup for when things like that happen.
- imagine that, not having to farm everything all over after a spawn.

This was what I wanted more than anything in Exile, so I began to loot everything of "great" value and sell it to get the money for a base flag (5.000).
When I had the money I started to look for a good spot to claim for my base.
NOTE: don't buy the flag before you know where you'll build as it's an item you carry on you and can loose!!!

I had to respawn and get to my body a few times when I took the flag to the location of choice - pesky heli squads!

I had set my eye on a hill some distance from nearest spawnpoint. This was mainly to make sure I wouldn't get visitors too often if people would more or less drop on top of me. On the other hand I had to travel a certain distance when I died in order to get to my base.
There's a fine line between a base placed at a distance and a base placed in isolation... trust me, I learned that! My base is located just about 15min on foot from the nearest spawn.

When I started building I didn't bother to get a car. There was trees all over and all of them in walking distance to my flag, so why even use a car?
- question answered: a car can hold vastly more wood than your backpack - ergo fewer trips to travel.

The first thing I wanted to build was the base-core so to speak. The main floor with 2x3 floortiles all boxed in for no one to enter... but hey, what was this? I needed a lock for my base. Hmm, I guess I could have figured that out if I had given it any attention. Anyway the lock is also a 5.000 purchase. But anything that can keep people out of my base is worth the price. The lock is also an item you can lose, so get it when you need it and then install it ASAP.

I now own a base that suits all my needs - 2 levels of a wooden fortress that can also hold a few cars if needed.

What I learned (or knew up front)

1) Don't think about a base flag before you can afford to get the lock too. Ergo you need 10.000+ on your account.

2) Travel with care when you carry your flag/lock to your base location.

3) Just bring the damn car. Buy it, steal it, borrow it - bring it!

4) No, you haven't got enough wood just yet! (I had 600 wood for my base and still had to get more... and my base isn't big).

5) Location, location, location! You wan't it distant but not in the land far-far-away.

6) Make sure you can park a car INSIDE your base.

7) Trader for base flag and lock are only located in the terminal safezone (as default - some servers may have them at others safezones too).

8) Don't put windows in the ground level of your base - because... BANG!

9) Put a roof on your base - because *sound of heli*... BANG!

10) Remember to lock you base!

If by any chance you're like me and want your base to look good, then you should know that building a base can take some time. So if you only have an hour then don't start that project right then and there!

These are the words from one noob building his first base - maybe others can learn from it. If not, so be it. B|

• Like 2

Advertisement

PS be careful I thought the crazy construction had been fixed until I constructed a wall (had not placed it was still green)and it touched my car an BOOM! No car and a spiffy orange suit.

Pointer: use a different code for your base door locks than you use for safes, and a separate one for vehicles if you can manage it. That way if someone picks the lock on your base door or your vehicle with a thermal scanner, they don't have the keys to the kingdom, so to speak.

Edited by Spartan
typo
  • Like 2

Pointer: use a different code for your base door locks than you use for safes, and a separate one for vehicles if you can manage it. That way if someone picks the lock on your base door or your vehicle with a thermal scanner, they don't have the keys to the kingdom, so to speak.

Good point.

You don't need a lock at first. You can go for some time without one.  Its pretty easy to simply 'move' a wall and put it back when your on the other side of it (especially using the SNAP option).  I frequently will build my base with double walls with about a 2ft gap between them.  If someone 'glitches' in past a wall they are stuck between the two.  Moving the walls out of the way to get in and out of the base only takes a couple seconds but can get be a secure and inexpensive way to enter/leave your base.

tom4, I think he's talking about moving and re-placing a wall in lieu of putting in a door, not building a double wall to stop someone from glitching into a base. Yeah, it's a bit of an exploit by using the crafting system in a way not intended for an advantage, so I can see some server owners forbidding it, maybe on the slippery slope theory of server administration. :)

Edited by Spartan
typo
  • Like 1

I'll let you all in on a little secret till they fix it...

Build a two story base and park yer vehicle on the first floor.  Go to the second floor and put down tents directly above the vehicle.

The TENTS Cannot be accessed while the vehicle is locked underneath them... You can secure your tents and EVEN YOU CANNOT access them until your vehicle is unlocked.

Try it. 

Advertisement