Brun

GPS Tracking on own vehicles

8 posts in this topic

Suggestion is when you have a GPS equipt you are able to toggle to see vehicles you own on the map using "gps tracking"

1. Would solve the missing vehicles due to rollback saves

2. Can track stolen / lost vehicles ( cleans up the vehicle objects ) and attempt recovery

3. If PIN is changed then db ownership of vehicle changes to new player possibly.

Downside is it would probably require an additional db lookup as I cant see any existing variables to determine if a vehicle belongs to a player.

Suggestion is when you have a GPS equipt you are able to toggle to see vehicles you own on the map using "gps tracking"

1. Would solve the missing vehicles due to rollback saves

2. Can track stolen / lost vehicles ( cleans up the vehicle objects ) and attempt recovery

3. If PIN is changed then db ownership of vehicle changes to new player possibly.

Downside is it would probably require an additional db lookup as I cant see any existing variables to determine if a vehicle belongs to a player.

Number 3; Should be redefined, because you'll get a lot of refund requests due to this, you can always blame bugs in Arma, it should rather just show a beacon or something on the map, a small object (Tracking device) that got removed from the vehicle or something. (Should only be for the first restart, 2nd it will be gone?) Additions to this could be if pin got changed, it should also log this, so admins easily can check whether vehicle got stolen or not. 

As for your downside, what are you talking about?? 
You can make a script check for belonged vehicles as account_guid is present in the vehicles table, so that is actually possible, but I'd also suggest to wait until  0.9.36 related to any of this, because there is changes coming for database structure, and more stuff added to database as well. 
:)

Advertisement

Yeh point 3 was more of a off the cuff thing, i agree would probably lead to Arma memes.

By downside i just meant there's no existing account_guid variable against the vehicles to determine player owner easily, would need to query db to get that relationship.

Guest Thiago

Someone stole your car and due to GPS tracking you are able to find that bastard and fight for your car.

Like the idea.

But, stealing cars in Exile isnt really a thing? :/

On 11/11/2015, 7:56:41, Guest Thiago said:

Someone stole your car and due to GPS tracking you are able to find that bastard and fight for your car.

Like the idea.

But, stealing cars in Exile isnt really a thing? :/

If I kill you while you're driving it can be. :)

As far as the suggestion, I like it. I've driven my car off through the fields before, gotten too much damage without duct tape available and had to abandon it and move on. I marked it on the map, but of course I'm either done playing or the server reboots, and I can't find it days later. Even if we could simply place map marks that are persistent and only personally visible, that would be helpful.

i know a server that already has GPS tracking of owned vehicles, locking vehicle from the inside and place GPS on other vehicles so you can track them.

Server called -snip-

Only every 10 or 15 minutes you should be able to use "Track my Car". Cause if u use realtime-tracking it will be horrible performance in the furture when you play on a full 80 - 120 slot server and alot people got more as 3 cars... just sayin..

Advertisement