Vert

Zombies & Demons - Exile-Z?

15 posts in this topic

Lot's of assumptions here. Just trying to wrap my little head around this. Still new to modding a server so please bear with me.

I've been seeing post aft post after post about zombies, which I would LIKE to have on my server though it's not critical.

These are two different mods, yes?

Zombies and Demons is a standalone mod or is it dependent on Ryan's Zombies? So single step install or two part install? I at one point had Z&D installed but I got no zombies spawning. I later assumed it was because I also need Ryan's.

I've also been seeing the term "Headless Client"  a lot lately. What is this? Script-only based? Again, wouldn't this rely on a separate mod to actually have the models, animations etc.?

Lastly, I understand that there have been lag spike issues with Zombies and Demons lately. Has this been resolved? Is there a working version? Or even a mostly working version? There are only three of us right now playing on our server and we don't really expect much more so maybe lag won't be that big a deal for us? Again with the assuming...

Over the past few weeks I have installed, wiped, reinstalled, upgraded, wiped, reinstalled ad nauseam. I've finally got the server running Exile (Nectarine), infiSTAR, A3XAI, and VEMF without error. I even installed Logistics once but it was broken beyond being useful. But Zombies are being ever elusive to me. After several failed attempts I am ALMOST ready to throw in the towel. I thought I'd give one last whimpering plea for help before I resign myself (and friends) to only AI invasion missions.

Thanks for any help.

~Vert

So Ryanzombies and Zombies and Demons are literally the same thing. I don't know why they changed the name on different sites. The reason you didn't see any zombies spawn is because you need to either manually place zombie spawners using the map editor or use one of the scripts provided by users on this website.

Advertisement

So , I have to ask this also. Is there away to do any Zombie scripts that don't require a separated download for everyone joining the server? Or away to pack it in the mission file so no one has to go hunting for this and that download to join your server? Wondering this myself everyone I see looks to require a client side install. 

So , I have to ask this also. Is there away to do any Zombie scripts that don't require a separated download for everyone joining the server? Or away to pack it in the mission file so no one has to go hunting for this and that download to join your server? Wondering this myself everyone I see looks to require a client side install. 

Installing client side isn't that big a deal IMO. Often times you can get it from the Steam Workshop for ARMA and just install it through that. You can also use the Mod Preset option in the ARMA launcher so you can enable groups of mods with one click. And the mods can be automatically updated so you don't have to download and install every time there is an update. Generally any mod that adds items or vehicles and whatnot need to have a client-side mod. That's my understanding anyway. Maybe some others can offer a better explanation.

So Ryanzombies and Zombies and Demons are literally the same thing. I don't know why they changed the name on different sites. The reason you didn't see any zombies spawn is because you need to either manually place zombie spawners using the map editor or use one of the scripts provided by users on this website.

So if I DL Zombies and Demons for Exile then it should have everything I need to get zombies on my server? That's good to hear if it is the case. So what about stability and overall performance etc? Is it in a working state or should I hold off a bit before trying to install it again?

Installing client side isn't that big a deal IMO. Often times you can get it from the Steam Workshop for ARMA and just install it through that. You can also use the Mod Preset option in the ARMA launcher so you can enable groups of mods with one click. And the mods can be automatically updated so you don't have to download and install every time there is an update. Generally any mod that adds items or vehicles and whatnot need to have a client-side mod. That's my understanding anyway. Maybe some others can offer a better explanation.

So is there anyway then to make it where a message comes up with out kicking the person saying you don;t have mod 

1. blahblahblah

2. blahblahblah

3. blahblahblah

Please go to steam workshop and download then rejoin.

That would be awesome and help people know what they need becuse you can only see so much in the title line

So is there anyway then to make it where a message comes up with out kicking the person saying you don;t have mod 

1. blahblahblah

2. blahblahblah

3. blahblahblah

Please go to steam workshop and download then rejoin.

That would be awesome and help people know what they need becuse you can only see so much in the title line

I can't say with 100% certainty but I think it depends on the mod. Maybe? You can also look in the "Expansions" box in the bottom right of your server browser. When you select a server you will generally see the four DLCs from BI with a red circle in front of them. These you can have or not and shouldn't prevent you from joining. You just won't be able to use those particular items in game if you don't have the DLCs. And server side mods like infiSTAR will be red and you don't have to worry about it. Then you will see client mods used on the server, like Zombies and Demons. If you don't have it or have the wrong version it will have a red circle. If you have it installed and working it will (should) have a green circle. You may also need to pay attention to the server description. It may tell you want version of the mods they are running etc.

So I don't think there is a 100% clear cut way to tell you have everything right when you join but you should be able to get enough info before trying to join and ultimately get booted. Unfortunately it will likely still require backing out and loading or unloading mods as needed. That's kinda why my friends and I decided to rent a server of our own. =P

Edited by Vert
typos

So if I DL Zombies and Demons for Exile then it should have everything I need to get zombies on my server? That's good to hear if it is the case. So what about stability and overall performance etc? Is it in a working state or should I hold off a bit before trying to install it again?

I've had zero performance issues. I have spawners set in every city that will spawn anywhere between 30-50 zombies every 10 minutes. For each city I have a module for spawning the zombies, deleting the zombies when no players are within 300 meters, and their difficulty.

I've had zero performance issues. I have spawners set in every city that will spawn anywhere between 30-50 zombies every 10 minutes. For each city I have a module for spawning the zombies, deleting the zombies when no players are within 300 meters, and their difficulty.

Are there no spawners by default? I couldn't figure out how to add them? Is it done in game or do I add coords to some config?

Advertisement