Sign in to follow this  
TheGreyRaven

Best way to automate and administrate ArmA server?

6 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have a Ubuntu machine and I want to start working on a small ArmA server, and I am quite new to ArmA dedicated server.

I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help me with:

• What would be the best way to automate server restarts? Is CRON the best way or is there an easier way?
  • Is there a way to automate server update such as mods etc, can I do that using LinuxGSM?
  • Is there an self-hosted web panel for Exile servers or ArmA servers in general?

Thank you for the help!

Edited by TheGreyRaven

Hello @TheGreyRaven,

I will give you my 'input' on your questions:

Cron?  I use BEC for my restarts (InfiSTAR also offers a restart).  By getting timing 'just right', as I use batch files (ARMA startup, DB backup, ARMA log backup, InfiSTAR log backup, RCon startup, BEC startup, RCon monitor startup), my restart timer is about 3 seconds off from the announced restart time via the info panel at the bottom (I forget its name).  I have multiple 'checks' in my batch files that restart the server if it fails to start or restart.  As I am a programmer and 'automation' is what I do best, this arrangement works for me...FOR SERVER RESTARTING ONLY.

You shut down ARMA for 'something', CRON is still running!  Whoops!  Mine ONLY runs when ARMA IS RUNNING

Updates?  Yes you can.  You will have to use Google for the instructions how to.  It is not that hard.  I am lazy, so I just drag my updates from my computer to me server, as both are here with me and on the same internal network.  Yes, I run my server out of my house...  ;)  Depending on the amount of items to check, the  update check will slow up the restart process as you're checking for who knows how many updates.

LinuxGSM?  Never heard of it!  ;)  I am a 'Windows Shop'.  I know a little of the REAL MAN'S language, SCO Unix....I do not use Unix with that new fangled X-Windows clone dumped on top calling itself Linux...  ;)  (Just teasing ya...)

Self-hosted web panel?  Yes, there are some, and you MUST PAY.  No free ones that I know about.

Here are some of the problem(s) with what you wish to do.  ARMA/Exile is NOT a 'plug-n-play' server.  It REQUIRES YOUR INTERACTIONS!  What happens if some player loses something?  Or there is a hacker on your server?  There is no such a 'hands-off', GOOD ARMA server.

The other POTENTIAL issue is that ARMA for Linux version is EXPERIMENTAL and is NOT on the same version as the PC version.  PC is at 1.9, Linux is at 1.82.

See HERE.  In other words, will a PC with 1.9 be able to join your Linux 1.82 server? 

The closest you can get to this use the above batch files (of course converted to Linux scripts) and having a GOOD, MATURE, HONEST, ADULT being an ACTIVE ADMIN.  Not some 'kids'.  And yes, 'kids' come in ALL AGES.

I hate to 'burst your bubble', yes you can do what you seek, but let one thing 'go wrong', and your server will 'die'.  Something like BF3/BF4/BF1, are examples of a 'hands-off' server.  ARMA is not.

I HIGHLY recommend you have an ACTIVE PRESENCE on your server.

:)

Advertisement
17 minutes ago, Z80CPU said:

Hello @TheGreyRaven,

I will give you my 'input' on your questions:

Cron?  I use BEC for my restarts (InfiSTAR also offers a restart).  By getting timing 'just right', as I use batch files (ARMA startup, DB backup, ARMA log backup, InfiSTAR log backup, RCon startup, BEC startup, RCon monitor startup), my restart timer is about 3 seconds off from the announced restart time via the info panel at the bottom (I forget its name).  I have multiple 'checks' in my batch files that restart the server if it fails to start or restart.  As I am a programmer and 'automation' is what I do best, this arrangement works for me...FOR SERVER RESTARTING ONLY.

You shut down ARMA for 'something', CRON is still running!  Whoops!  Mine ONLY runs when ARMA IS RUNNING

Updates?  Yes you can.  You will have to use Google for the instructions how to.  It is not that hard.  I am lazy, so I just drag my updates from my computer to me server, as both are here with me and on the same internal network.  Yes, I run my server out of my house...  ;)  Depending on the amount of items to check, the  update check will slow up the restart process as you're checking for who knows how many updates.

LinuxGSM?  Never heard of it!  ;)  I am a 'Windows Shop'.  I know a little of the REAL MAN'S language, SCO Unix....I do not use Unix with that new fangled X-Windows clone dumped on top calling itself Linux...  ;)  (Just teasing ya...)

Self-hosted web panel?  Yes, there are some, and you MUST PAY.  No free ones that I know about.

Here are some of the problem(s) with what you wish to do.  ARMA/Exile is NOT a 'plug-n-play' server.  It REQUIRES YOUR INTERACTIONS!  What happens if some player loses something?  Or there is a hacker on your server?  There is no such a 'hands-off', GOOD ARMA server.

The other POTENTIAL issue is that ARMA for Linux version is EXPERIMENTAL and is NOT on the same version as the PC version.  PC is at 1.9, Linux is at 1.82.

See HERE.  In other words, will a PC with 1.9 be able to join your Linux 1.82 server? 

The closest you can get to this use the above batch files (of course converted to Linux scripts) and having a GOOD, MATURE, HONEST, ADULT being an ACTIVE ADMIN.  Not some 'kids'.  And yes, 'kids' come in ALL AGES.

I hate to 'burst your bubble', yes you can do what you seek, but let one thing 'go wrong', and your server will 'die'.  Something like BF3/BF4/BF1, are examples of a 'hands-off' server.  ARMA is not.

I HIGHLY recommend you have an ACTIVE PRESENCE on your server.

Thank you for your input!

I have good experience in running servers before, I have a fairly decent sized userbase with around 4000 members, and I have multiple game servers running on a Linux machines so that is why I kinda want to continue to use Linux! :) but if it does not work out I can always switch to Windows.

Again thank you for the help I will tinker a bit with it!

• Like 1

@TheGreyRaven -

You're more than welcome!  I guess for you then, the REAL question should be:  Are PC based ARMA's going to be able to join a Linux server.  JUST GUESSING, I would say it they will not be able to (different versions).  But I do not KNOW!  ;)

And one last 'tip' for ya...do not ask me why as I can not answer, BUT, ARMA players PREFER an admin on.  If YOU are not playing on YOUR server, your 'heart' is not into it.  I have heard this MANY times...and it does make some sense too...  :)

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, Z80CPU said:

@TheGreyRaven -

You're more than welcome!  I guess for you then, the REAL question should be:  Are PC based ARMA's going to be able to join a Linux server.  JUST GUESSING, I would say it they will not be able to (different versions).  But I do not KNOW!  ;)

And one last 'tip' for ya...do not ask me why as I can not answer, BUT, ARMA players PREFER an admin on.  If YOU are not playing on YOUR server, your 'heart' is not into it.  I have heard this MANY times...and it does make some sense too...  :)

Good luck!

I have a basic Exile server running on Linux and it seems to be working fine, we will see how it goes! :) 

Advertisement