Castello

Help - Running Two MySql Data Bases

4 posts in this topic

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance.

So my knowledge of how XAMPP and MySQL works is very limited, if not actually non-existent. What I am trying to do is run two separate databases, for two separate functions, using two separate instances of XAMPP on the same host machine, without either database interfering with the other.

When I first noticed the problem, the new database was not filled and the programme filled my server database with this information, essentially wiping all the player data.

My question is, how can I tell one instance of XAMPP to talk to one programme and provide that data to one specific database, so I can use both programmes at the same time? I am guessing that it might be down to the username and password for both or the address and port used for both, but I'm not sure and I can't find a straight answer anywhere. 

Thanks again, for any help. 

Hello @Castello,

Do note, I am NOT a DB expert!  ;)

From what I do know of this and other applications, all you would need is to use different names for each DB with the same port(s).

Example:

#1 DB = Name:  ONE, PORT:3306

#2 DB = Name:  TWO, PORT:3306

MySQL 'hones in on' the NAME.  You should be able to have hundreds of DB's all of one server AS LONG AS THEY HAVE DIFFERENT NAMES!

:)

• Like 1

Advertisement

Thanks for the direct reply @Z80CPU, I was guessing it might be as simple as this. Any tips on changing the name, I've tried this in the past and the damned thing still overwrote my database :( - Thanks again!

• Like 1

@Castello - As far as the names go, they can be what you want them to be.  There is config file in which you put that name and port in.  In Exile, it is:  Exile-extdb-conf.ini

Good luck!

:)

• Like 1

Advertisement