Sign in to follow this  
DackJaniels

Add a temp ellipse marker in-game

Question

Hello,

I have looked a lot around the web for the past days and I can't find a solution to what i'm willing:

I'm an admin of an exile server; and sometimes I like to throw some kind of cool "treasure hunt" thing for my players, and I hide a crate or a box in a random specific area of the map and tell the players to look for it to get the reward...

What i'd like to do is add an ellipse marker filled with a color, a temporary one, but while in-game, not modifying the mission file itself , to designate the area, just like those "Ikea" or "Military drop" scripts ya know ? Would that be possible ? Considering that any player can add visible markers on the map (dots, crosses and stuff), i'd assume it'd be possible ?

Thanks for your answers.

Edited by DackJaniels

8 answers to this question

Hello @DackJaniels,

I have to assume you're using some sort of script to place the 'treasure'.  This is where you can do this.

Example (* = New Insert):

Generate coords for 'treasure'

* Store above coods in a variable

Spawn treasure

*  Create use the 'createMarker' command to put your marker down

Text message to player that they have found treasure

* Use the 'deleteMarker' to remove it

You SIMPLY have add 3 lines to you existing code!  It is pretty easy!

:)

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer but I don't think this is what i'm looking for.

I mean, what I'd like to do is to avoid using any script or anything, i'd like to do it all in-game if that's possible ?

I'm not using any script, i'm just spawning a crate, place money inside it and then place it where I want to hide it with admin tools, ya know ? Then I tell my players in what area the crate is hidden and here they go... I'd just like to add an ellipse maker on the map that I can delete whenever I want, just like regular temp markers that anyone can place on the map...

• Like 1

Advertisement

@DackJaniels -

Ah....well it IS possible, BUT, it would require a SCRIPT OR using Zeus.

Zeus is most likely you best bet based on what you desire - NO SCRIPTS.  How to set it up Zeus properly?  Beats me!  ;)

I would HIGHLY recommend you use the script though!  ZERO effort on your part AND you CAN make it show up RANDOMLY.  So for example, only 20% of the time when spawning, it will show the marker.  The other 80% of the time, there will be no 'marker'.  Also, think of this too, are you going to be there 24 hours a day, EVERY DAY?  No.  As the old saying goes; "Work SMARTER, not HARDER".  Again, I HIGHLY recommend you do this way.  Those 3 commands will NOT effect nor affect your server and its performance at all (in a 'real sense').

HOWEVER, there ARE some posts on here and elsewhere where it discusses using Zeus.  WHICH IS A LOT MORE WORK to set up AND USE!  Because YOU will have to CREATE the crate, then create the marker, and then LOADING THE CRATE WITH ITEMS EVERY TIME...  ;)  Remember...NO SCRIPTS!  Which means EVERYTHING IS MANUAL!

One post:

Another Post:

And a last one HERE (too long as it is a Google link).

BUT, you CAN do all what you ask FROM A SCRIPT AND IT WILL BE 100% AUTOMATED!  You can also use random chance to spawn the treasure, then use a random chance if a marker will show up, and THEN use a random number to determine how long the mission will even be there!  To ME, as a player, I would MUCH rather have that as it is COMPLETELY random and I do not have to worry about if the admin told/gave 'hints' to his buddies where it is located or what you put in it...which if you have played ARMA MP, sadly, you know such behavior DOES exist (bad/cheating admins).  :(

This (my method) removes ANY doubt of 'cheating' and makes it 100% HONEST.  You could NEVER be accused of anything BUT being honest.  AND as it is 100% random, even YOU will not know where it is or how long it will stay there (unless you use something like InfiSTAR and/or the console).  You could go even further and randomize the actual loot in it's 'container'.  That is what I would do and it would be done automatically 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  It would not matter if you were there, sick, dead, busy with work or family...it would ALWAYS be working.  And it being random, you could even adjust the chance of ALL aspects of it.  And a computer is JUST AS GOOD as a human in creating a 'random event'  See HERE.

BUT, in the end, it is YOUR server.  BUT, you did ask for an opinion...  :)  I personally think, IN THE END, you will be 100% HAPPIER with a SMALL script to perform this function.  And without actually writing it, I suspect it would be less than 25 lines...VERY SMALL.  I just want you to be HAPPY with the outcome.  Zeus WILL work, but it is 100% MANUAL and it REQUIRES YOU TO BE THERE.  My method is 100% automated and requires NO ONETo randomize everything using Zeus will probably take 2-5 minutes for EACH 'treasure'My method would take < 2 secondsThis is a 99.6667% DECREASE IN YOUR TIME99%!  As we say where I am from; 'That aint something to sneeze at!'  You NEED to consider YOUR time in this process as well.  You could go even go as far saying, if the REAL TIME FOR ME is between 1000 and 1500, then run this script.  Though this would INCREASE the complexity (not by much though) of the code as well as the length by maybe 10 lines (I think it would be 3-5 lines), you CAN DO THIS TOO!  You would do this using this mod HERE which I am sure there are other mods you could use as well.  Sadly there is no 'real time/date' commands in ARMA.  I use that mod and it works 100% on ANY MAP ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.  And the beauty of that 'time mod' is, for an example, your map that you are using is Bornholm, which is a REAL location, you could use that mod and use the time AND weather (or not) FROM THE REAL LOCATION OF BORNHOLM instead of YOUR time.

Or if you REALLY want to 'liven' things up, you could (with about 3 lines of extra code) say if there is less than 15 minutes before the sever restarts (using the estimatedEndServerTime command), put the BEST ITEMS in that 'treasure crate'!  This will prompt players to go for the 'killer loot' which they will KNOW that they ONLY have 15 minutes to get it.  Thus, it would create a FRANTIC EVENT!  People scrambling left and right to get the goods and GET AWAY before reboot.  But it gets even betterAFTER the reboot, some players will be HUNTING those who just walked away with that loot!  It 'spices' things up greatly and with ZERO EFFORT FROM YOU!  You could even have this 'feature' set by a random number.  For example:  "Oh I want this 'End Game Loot'  to only happen 5% of time if MY time shows that it is between 1800 and 2100 only".  THIS is a LOT of variance in this that I bet you have not even thought aboutYou CAN NOT do this with Zeus!  Sorry!  IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!

I think you can now see why I stated I believe a script is your BEST choice in the end...  :)

Again though, in the end, it is YOUR CHOICE.  I just want you to have the BEST and EASIEST method of accomplishing what you desire and maybe have some things you did not even think about!

Thank you for your extensive and comprehensive answer. 

I thought about Zeus indeed, but seeing the complexity of it, it's a no-no for me. 

I will probably try to get a script to do the trick, you are right. 

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

@DackJaniels -

You're more than welcome!  I did not read the instructions on the Zeus thing (as I do not use Zeus, I use my mod and another person's mod), I figured about all you would have to do is to drop the module down and list the 'allowed' UID's in the module's properties.  What do I know?  ;)

I am glad that you'll got some use out of it!  I just wanted you to have a COMPLETE answer, not some '2 words' that leave you with more questions that you had when you started.  Here and on other forums, you see that quite often.  I mean, you asked for HELP, not some 'short, incomplete answers' or to be confused!  Or worse yet, some snarky remark from some smart mouth who tells you 'Go search for it' and nothing more.  I sure you know those types.  ;)

If you are going to write the code yourself, I could provide you with some 'snippet' that I use to open the map and pick a spot where I want 'xyz' to spawn in at, by just clicking on the map.  This would do about half what you need.  You do not want it?  No big deal and no hurt feelings on my side...if you would like it, let me know and I send it and maybe a few others that you could use via a DM (private message).

Good luck with it!

Edited by Z80CPU

7 hours ago, Z80CPU said:

@DackJaniels -

You're more than welcome!  I did not read the instructions on the Zeus thing (as I do not use Zeus, I use my mod and another person's mod), I figured about all you would have to do is to drop the module down and list the 'allowed' UID's in the module's properties.  What do I know?  ;)

I am glad that you'll got some use out of it!  I just wanted you to have a COMPLETE answer, not some '2 words' that leave you with more questions that you had when you started.  Here and on other forums, you see that quite often.  I mean, you asked for HELP, not some 'short, incomplete answers' or to be confused!  Or worse yet, some snarky remark from some smart mouth who tells you 'Go search for it' and nothing more.  I sure you know those types.  ;)

If you are going to write the code yourself, I could provide you with some 'snippet' that I use to open the map and pick a spot where I want 'xyz' to spawn in at, by just clicking on the map.  This would do about half what you need.  You do not want it?  No big deal and no hurt feelings on my side...if you would like it, let me know and I send it and maybe a few others that you could use via a DM (private message).

Good luck with it!

Yes please, I could really use some kind of kickstart since I am a total noob, the only way I could make my own server was by following tutorials for every aspect of it. Now i'm a little less nooby but writing my own code ? Yikes... :D

And yeah, don't get me started on the "use google" or"have you used the search function ?" answers...

Thanks again !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DackJaniels said:

Yes please, I could really use some kind of kickstart since I am a total noob, the only way I could make my own server was by following tutorials for every aspect of it. Now i'm a little less nooby but writing my own code ? Yikes... :D

And yeah, don't get me started on the "use google" or"have you used the search function ?" answers...

Thanks again !

As I set up quite a few servers, if you need help, just lemme know. I could help in a variety of ways (RDP, Teamviewer, Chat, Teamspeak, Messenger etc...)

Servers ARE just Enormous, and im willing to let you guys dive into in creating your OWN, CUSTOM Server, cause THATS what in my Eyes is the cool thing about it :D

• Like 1

@DackJaniels - No problem!  I will send you some and since you do stuff @GrimReapaa, I CC you on them too!  And if you do not want them, delete them...I will NOT be offended!  And NO!  I am not some 'Scripting God'.  The devs of Exile are that...I am WAY BELOW THEM!  ;)

And the 'noob' part, NEVER FORGET, EVERYBODY starts from there!  EVERYBODY!  Sadly, some people on THIS SITE actually forget this and sadly too, you see this in other places.  :(

I have NEVER FORGOTTEN this...and I hope I never do!  ;)

SO, what you should do and I do believe it is what most do, is find some simple script that you like to use when you play in SP.  Take that script apart, use the Bohemia site to see and understand how each command works, then fire up the editor in ARMA, open up notepad and START WRITING!  Even PROFESSIONAL programmers do NOT write 'perfect code' the first time around!  Every notice (such with ARMA) that BUGS EXIST!?!?!  Do NOT be 'put off' or AFRAID that you will screw up!  YOU WILL;)

It is like anything else...you just keep trying.  You have something that I did NOT have.  I been with ARMA since DAY ONE (OFP) , playing AND scripting.  There were ZERO resources for ANYONE to use to learn.  The internet DID NOT BASICALLY EXIST AT THAT TIME TOO!  (HTTP/1996 - OFP/2001).  It was ALL TRIAL AND ERROR.

I have faith in you that if you put forth a good and valid effort, you WILL have success!  You have already shown a step in the right direction...YOU ASKED QUESTIONS!  And NO, I was not being 'funny'.  I WAS SERIOUS.  'Wisdom/Knowledge starts when the mouth is closed''.

You also HUMBLED YOURSELF.  @DackJaniels, SO MANY miss this and NEVER DO THIS.  ADMITTING to 'skill level' is something a lot of people will NEVER DO.  You ASKED, you HUMBLED YOURSELF...my friend, I think you're off to an EXCELLENT START!  :)

And as a MAN, let me pass along this bit of WISDOM.  The STRONGEST MAN is the man who can HUMBLE HIMSELF (this applies to women as well).  FOOLS know not of this wisdom.

By Friday 02/15/19, I will get those things to ya!

Edited by Z80CPU

Advertisement