Sign in to follow this  
seras

help with all things server related

7 posts in this topic

ok so firstly idk if im puting this in the right spot if im not if an admin could move it to the right spot thatd be great

k so im looking to start a server i have a box waiting i just need help making the server which i know nothing about for arma 3

what im looking for is someone to help me out and teach me how to make a server and maybe help with a few things like custom scripts 

im going to attempt this on my own but i need alot of help rather it be link to videos or talking on discord and telling me how this shit works im a noob at this so im asking for help 

@seras - It looks like your post is in the correct forum (unless it was moved) Have you looked at any of the documentation that is actually pinned to this very same forum area?

It's full of instructions, easy to use.

• Like 1

Advertisement

@seras- If you know NOTHING (as you stated), I would advise you learn how to play ARMA as well as creating your own SP missions FIRST.

Teaching you scripting is like you asking someone to teach you C++, Java, or PHP.  It aint happening. 

What you are doing reminds me of someone who has never seen a car in their life, yet, you want us to teach you not only how to design one, but how to drive and repair it at the same time.

As @DaveM has stated, there are MANY 'how to' guides on this site AND other sites.  BUT, they will basically tell you how to set up an Exile server and not much beyond this.

An ARMA server is NOT a 'plug-n-play' server.  It requires KNOWLEDGE and WORK.

Do learn, do not waste your money on a server UNTIL you can setup a local server and have it working.  THEN try renting a server.

Based on the fact (your statements) that you have put in pretty much ZERO EFFORT, I would recommend to do what I said, LEARN ARMA FIRST!

This is HONEST ADVICE, not a 'smart mouth' reply.  You will be well served by my advice in the end.  Though it is 'harsh', I rather tell you the truth now, then lie to you, and only to have you fail in the future.

:)

• Like 4

i know how to play arma and build missions ive built milsim missions for clans in the past and they worked great so far as learning to play arma im good i have between 4000 and 7000 hours between arma 2 and arma 3 as a player/admin but ive never delt with much scripting and server configuring stuff ive left that to my clan leaders or friends that enjoy that stuff i can build a mission for a map i can set up trader areas and all that stuff but i dont know how to write scripts for the things i want or if it can even be done

im wanting a loadout selection screen for soldiers at spawn and id like to do the same for jets and helis when they are bought 

example a-16wipe out(my favorite jet) standard loadout is 4gbus 6 atgm 2sidewinder aa missiles and 14 dumbfire rockets 7ap 7he i would like to buy the jet and get an option to buy a custom load out such as all aa or all gbus but when i buy it not a buy now change later type if u get what im saying

@seras -

Writing scripts for ARMA is not 'do this and this' then it is done.  I started scripting in ARMA with OFP 17 some odd  years ago.  You have to do like most of us.  Take someone's code apart and see how it works.  Then make your own and test it.

And if you do not have any programming background, you will be in trouble...  ;)

While I can not speak for others, I feel that most will not 'teach' you how to program in ARMA.  If you knew of the history of Exile, the crappy programming of ARMA is why the original authors of Exile quit working on it.  ARMA scripting is a pain in the butt.  And wait, it gets better!  Wait till some stupid update from Bohemia and your script turns to crap!

Your best bet is to dissect other people's code, read the Wiki for commands you do not understand, and any questions you may have, go to a regular ARMA scripting site.  While you can ask here, you're better off on a 'traditional' ARMA website who does nothing but such stuff.

The reason to go to other sites and ask, what you're asking is NOT part of Exile.  What you seek, can be applied to most any MP session, not just to Exile.  Once completed, you can call your script from within Exile.  And there ARE scripts that do what you seek.  I would suggest you do some research - They are out there...one of them is by someone called something like GrandPa, OldMan, something like that...

;)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Like 1

eey mate i scripting my server for 14 months wenn i started this i didnt have any expierence with scripting servers.. just check youtube and keep a eye on this forum. always make backups if u you change stuff.. than u will never mess something up.. and if you got trouble just search it on google or ask it on here people will help you..

Advertisement