MGTDB

Enable physics on territory flags and block clipping on base parts

7 posts in this topic

We have a massive issue with players using workbenches to climb up and place floating flags, then they wall it off and remove the floor under the flag, rendering flag theft and raiding pointless.
Also, players are clipping walls into walls, sometimes making bases with 5 walls in the place of 1, this makes base breaching nearly impossible.

A suggestion would be to enable some form of physics on these objects to prevent it, such as physics when placing flags

Edited by MGTDB
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, MGTDB said:

We have a massive issue with players using workbenches to climb up and place floating flags, then they wall it off and remove the floor under the flag, rendering flag theft and raiding pointless.
Also, players are clipping walls into walls, sometimes making bases with 5 walls in the place of 1, this makes base breaching nearly impossible.

A suggestion would be to enable some form of physics on these objects to prevent it, such as physics when placing flags

How about charges doing splash damage? So if walls are stacked they all take the same damage, 5 stacked walls will still take 3 charges. etc. Small enough radius so it doesn't damage walls above or adjacent.

Edited by Rangecreed

Advertisement

The problem is also with flying safes. Now players build 100% unraidable bases with safes/flags in the air. My suggestion to take care of flying flags and safes is to allow to build workbenches on enemy territory. So you can raid succesfully any kind of base , is just a matter of charges and time and make raid and exile great again. Now is just boring having a lot of charges and no use for them.

My biggest problem with the base raiding elements of Exile is that it's unfinished so doesn't really encourage base building at the moment as raiding is rarely done by players when the owners are online. It favours players who are out of "normal" hours gamers, or those who are just a bit more active. This in itself is detrimental to the mod as it makes it more about hardcore activity, or playing at unsociable/silly hours of the day.  

Speaking from experience as a guy with a  family and a job, it's all very well having a notification system to tell you your base is being raided, but good luck explaining that to your boss as to why yo're leaving the office early at 2:30pm on a Tuesday afternoon!  You have even less chance of getting away to protect your in-game assets on date night with the wife!

I know the devs felt this was enough (well in line with their bigger picture and plans) and wanted to develop a system that encouraged activity more, but its clearly still a WIP system and it hasn't panned out anyway now that development has slowed/paused/changed, it's unlikely we'll ever get the system that was initially intended to be expanded into.

I actually play on one of  the OP's server and know exactly what he's talking about - most people have gone fore unrealistic, gravity defying bases that restrict access to the flag purely out of necessity because their bases only get targeted when they're offline. This means they are built in such a way that they they are game breaking and completely inaccessible - even to themselves in some cases!

But from the other side of the coin, playing on such an active server, even as part of a very large group, you know that your base is going to be raided every other day and it's always going to be at silly times when you can do nothing about it. This is why some/most players (on this and other popular servers) have had to go to creative lengths to try and secure bases a bit more, otherwise the server is unplayable long term as you simply cannot escalate within the server to be competitive long term - neither as a group or an individual.  

I play as part of a group of upward of 12 players at the moment, yet despite having constantly great gameplay and enjoying the server immensely when online, we've been left feeling there is little point in building a base as they just keep getting destroyed/raided while were offline. That is even the case with our small base(s) that yield low ransom returns, decent group numbers to defend and even with some high activity players. With this in mind, I feel it must be bloody impossible for some players to even get a foothold and build a base, even as part of a small group! I can easily see how  this would drive players away not just from servers, but from Exile itself. 

While I personally don't mind it too much and love the PvP elements of the game more anyway, I know that huge numbers of players are attracted to Exile for its base building elements and the long term goal of having something a bit secure to work towards, take pride in developing and even defend  - what other reasons are there to have a base? 

MGT have done a great job of encouraging base building on an active server that is very difficult under these present game conditions by actually using it as means to secure vehicles via the Virtual Garage add-on, which is good, but again is a double edged sword as it means it is then even more devastating and frustrating when you are inevitably raided again!  Then you have the added loss of expensive vehicles too, so you're even less likely to risk building bases - certainly after your first or second expensive loss this way!  

To my mind the only way to really tackle the issue and try to compromise for both types of players - those who like base raiding and those who prefer some security of a base .  I have always been an advocate of limited time frame windows  where bases being raided - well not so much making bases not making bases raidable, but  basically only allowing flags to be  captured at certain times around the owner(s) activity, say  the same server cycle as the owners have/are online, or withing an hour of them logging off.

Sure, I'll agree with Dave the OP and say add physics to flags and other elements of base building such as safes too then, make flags or containers only plantable on physical grounds etc. as it wont matter too much if that flag can only be grabbed as the owner(s) are online or recently logged off. 

I'd even say allow other players to build raiding ladders or other tools in player territories etc. to allow access to bases for those who want to raid or set up ambushes or whatever. 

I'd also go one step further and suggest the implementation of the virtual garage system to the base mod, making players have to construct a physical garage within their base  to encourage base building even making it a necessity for long term safe vehicle storage. More people building bases = more bases which is then more opportunities to raid bases.   You could even allow that VG to be raidable (again based on the same rules as the flag though), to add further incentive to base raiding around the owners' activity. 

Just to reiterate, bases could still be accessed,  entered and even destroyed at any time but Flags and Virtual Garages could only be stolen/accessed when the actual player(s) who own the territory are online or have been online during that server cycle (or for a set time after logging off).

I'd say as a further added incentive, maybe make safes easily crackable when the owners are online too, so there's more risk/reward for attacking players bases while their owners are at least active/recently active. 

• Like 2

What if they added a capture the flag mini game into the base raiding. Steal it 3 times and the base is yours :P

1 hour ago, Flosstradamus said:

What if they added a capture the flag mini game into the base raiding. Steal it 3 times and the base is yours :P

Well that would be easy if the flag room had enough room to squeeze a guy in there at all times, just log in, steal it, log out and wait untill they restore the flag again and repeat for free base.

3 minutes ago, τĿ | Care Bear said:

Well that would be easy if the flag room had enough room to squeeze a guy in there at all times, just log in, steal it, log out and wait untill they restore the flag again and repeat for free base.

Most servers ban people for logging off inside someones base and I think they should be banned for that imo :P

Advertisement