Adam Kadmon

Arma is REALLY soon going 64 bits.

23 posts in this topic

For modders, too, there are some things to keep in mind. If your scenario or mod uses a call extension, the extension has be to provided both in 32-bit and 64-bit versions now. Otherwise, your game will most likely not work as expected. Unfortunately, there is no flexible way for us to work this around for you behind the scenes. 64-bit processes can only load 64-bit shared libraries (*.dll on Windows, *.so on Linux) and therefore it is expected that content creators provide them. This process should be rather straightforward, though, and we do not expect any major complication on our talented community's side.

To make the transition as transparent for you as possible, we at least made it so that no changes to scripts will be required. All you need to do is build a 64-bit version of your extension and name it <yourExtension>_x64.dll on Windows (or <yourExtension>_x64.so on Linux). In other words, you add the "_x64" suffix to the name. Similarly, mod creators relying on hacking repurposing DirectX libraries will have to dust off their skills once again and perform their magic on 64-bit version of these libraries in similar a fashion as they did on their 32-bit counterparts back in the day. Of course, it is also worth mentioning that you should not forget to whitelist your new libraries with BattlEye!

This is what I am referring to specifically

Advertisement

And aaaaaaall those people called me an idiot for saying you didn't need 32 gigabytes of ram to run an arma server.... They told me I was crazy to say that Arma couldn't address more than 2 gigabytes. There it is: straight from bohemia's mouth. 

Don't forget about the most important extension in Exile.  extdb2.  Without that nothing can be saved/read to the database from the server.

Hopefully someone can compile that one in 64 bit and make it work.  I think the original author isn't supporting it anymore?  Devs?

I admit I dont understand what changing to 64 bit really involves but how will this effect all the mods we use like A3XAI, DMS, EXAd etc and the rest? 

It does say its on the dev branch already, anybody tested things yet?

Edited by Razor77

6 hours ago, Razor77 said:

I admit I dont understand what changing to 64 bit really involves but how will this effect all the mods we use like A3XAI, DMS, EXAd etc and the rest? 

It does say its on the dev branch already, anybody tested things yet?

A3XAI, DMS, Exad etc aren't mods that require dll's. This will effect Infistar, Exile, Extdb2/3, Epoch, etc

13 minutes ago, Flosstradamus said:

A3XAI, DMS, Exad etc aren't mods that require dll's. This will effect Infistar, Exile, Extdb2/3, Epoch, etc

Thanks for clearing that up :)  hope exile gets through this change over ok.

Advertisement