{SHU}ALEXM16

DB new paramater

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am having trouble trying to figure out something.

I want to figure something out. Lets say I want to add a collum, in the mysql database in table account and have it like a rank. First question is it possible? or would it f*** everthing up?

second question how would I be able to get this information? what modification would I need to make.

explained a little more:

I want people rank 1 to have 10 spawns, rank 2 8 and so on.

so like

if ((getPlayerUID player) and _rank "1") then {

blabla bla please please help I am desparate :-p

Thanks to all that would help

again my question how to make the modification to add data, and how to retreive the info to have it change things in game.

(Mysql databse with extdb2 on linux)

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Hello Alex,

From what little I know of databases in general, from programming, it is possible...in a way.

The trick is using a unique name for the item.  For example, if you called your 'new row', 'exile_new' and then 2 months later, the exile devs create a data area called 'exile_new', well, I think you can see the issue with that.

With a totally unique name for it, it should not be an issue.  In some database 'types', this would be an issue.  In a relational DB, which is what SQL/MySQL are, and what exile uses, this is not an issue and is one of the strengths of said DB structure.

What I would recommend is to:

#1 - Create VERY UNIQUE field/key name for this/these new items

#2 - Make a back-up of the ORIGINAL DB BEFORE adding new names

#3 - Test new entries on a TEST server

#4 - If successful, take test DB live

Good luck!

:)

• Like 1

Advertisement

Just make a new table and have them join on uid. You probably don't even need the account table but if you do just either create a view or just have a select that joins the two on uid.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/select.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/create-view.html

It's best to not alter the tables that are created by the exile install, otherwise an upgrade will make your life more difficult if they decide to change the structure of the exile database.

Hello Alex,

Your welcome!  What Kobayashi said too is quite correct!

One SIMPLE way is to to an 'export' of the data and it will be in a text file.

Not being mean here, by you asking these questions, you really ought to asking yourself, 'should I be messing with something I have no knowledge in'?

By being honest with yourself, it can save you a lot of heartache in the end!  ;)

You're doing the right thing by asking though.  Look at this way.  Would you want a doctor to perform a lengthy operation on you where every 5 minutes he had to ask some other doctor how to do it?  I know I would not.

What ever you do, BACK UP OFTEN!

Good luck!

:)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Like 1

Advertisement