Sign in to follow this  
Tradewell20

Board up buildings

10 posts in this topic

So I love the fact you can build your own base wherever you want, and i'm sure i'm wasting my time on this but i think it would be super cool if you could just board up a house and call it home. I'm sure it is a complicated script or not something exile has in mind but tell me there aren't people that want that pure survival mode where they don't want a huge base or a noticeable base out in the woods and like to just keep a low profile. Most of the enter-able buildings are super cool and if you could just board off the windows and maybe lock off the entrance with a lock-pick or get a code lock and call it home that would be awesome. People can still easily just break into the house or lock pick it themselves if they have an axe or lockpick but it just gives you that little extra survival apocalypse feeling instead of building a huge noticealbe mansion. Also it will give a beginning player a temporary base since they have to collect and get their respect up so they can build a base that they want. I'm not sure if doing this would also cut back on server performance just having little bases in existing buildings rather than big bases build from scratch? Once again this is just an idea that they probably wont put in but worth a shot.

Edited by Tradewell20
  • Like 2

This would be worth it to implement if every map had enterable buildings. But another big problem is loot spawns in buildings so then you're closing off loot to players.

Advertisement
5 hours ago, Flosstradamus said:

This would be worth it to implement if every map had enterable buildings. But another big problem is loot spawns in buildings so then you're closing off loot to players.

Players build bases wherever they want with very few limitations to flag placement.   I'm not sure the argument that dropping a base near or in an enter-able building messes up loot spawns for other players is much of an argument against this or making it so codelocks can be placed on existing doors inside a base's radius of influence.

7 hours ago, sickgrace said:

Players build bases wherever they want with very few limitations to flag placement.   I'm not sure the argument that dropping a base near or in an enter-able building messes up loot spawns for other players is much of an argument against this or making it so codelocks can be placed on existing doors inside a base's radius of influence.

It depends on the server but the more popular servers do not allow you to build in an existing building because it discourages new spawns from looting it

It is just for a temporary base, meaning that it shouldn't discourage looting just for the small fact that it would only take a little effort of shooting or hitting it with an axe to get through it, it's not like a full blown base where it takes 30 minutes to get through a wall, also if someone really wants to get into the temporary base, existing buildings don't take much to destroy the whole building and take everything

One problem is the in game buildings aren't really fortified in the sense of them collapsing when you put enough fire inot them. So in the end it's easier to break into your base that way. I'd still put some exile walls in/around it or at least sandbags that keep players from getting close to the wall. 

What I did once is I found a building, built half walls and placed them over the windows. On the front door, I built a wall with a locked door. When you place a flag, no loot is going to spawn within 150m, so blocking off the loot spawns is moot. However, with the earthquakes, many buildings will collapse when 

3 hours ago, Crazy Mike said:

your server owner can customize everything about that from the radius of the flag to the distance it kills loot spawning, i have players based directly in houses in main cities and the next building over will still have loot, then the next building after that can have another player base :P, You just have to talk to your server owner about changing all that, and with how free exile building is especially with extended base mod you can do anything you want.

Well, I am the server owner. I have the default 150m because that's the maximum base size and it prevents people from walling off important loot spawns so they can farm them.

I ran an A2 server for quite awhile and we allowed claiming a building as a base and fortifying it - although we didn't allow claiming high-end buildings like barracks.  It actually worked out quite well and everyone liked it.  Some used buildings, some built new - depending on their preferences.   As to loot spawning in a barricaded building - there were so many buildings with loot and nothing was unique enough that it could only be found in one or two buildings (except military buildings as already noted) that it was never an issue for anyone.    The more I think about it the more I like it for our Exile server, too - especially since we have the announcement that lets you know you are entering a territory turned off.   A problem I see though is that if someone got high enough respect, their territory could almost cover an entire small town.  So it would be good to be able to limit territory size within cities - not sure how hard that would be to do.  But I wouldn't want to limit people's base size outside cities.

Advertisement