Sign in to follow this  
STARTairsoft780

Future Update Notifcations

15 posts in this topic

Well firstly, I hope this post doesn't get deleted as 95% of mine do..

I'm questioning the upcoming update (and future updates) that Exile brings. As a server owner, it's very difficult for us to cater to these updates without any information. Personally, I have a very customized server. Running numerous scripts and other third party mods that will require re-optimizing for the new update. I think that it would be appreciated by server owners, hosting services, and even clients, about what these updates intend to include. 

I understand the element of surprise and getting a good hype, however, this is very annoying when I have 3 days notice to redo my entire server edits, which again, are highly customized thanks to the features Exile does provide.

I'd like some feedback in regards to this. But simply saying an update is coming and to "prepare yourself" worries me. Should my players expect a DB reset?

Advertisement

"Community is King" phase is supposed to introduce the public github which would easily let you compare files and see exactly what changes on an update.

Hopefully we see that!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CEN said:

"Community is King" phase is supposed to introduce the public github which would easily let you compare files and see exactly what changes on an update.

Hopefully we see that!

If that were the case of "Community is King", that should start immediately. Not after an update. 

I don't understand the problem. 

It doesn't matter if you have 1 day, 1 week or 1 month notice. It's still going to take you the same amount of time to update. It's not like you can update before the update. The "3 days notice" you have is until the update comes out (Maybe 4). You don't have "3 days" to redo your server scripts because you don't have the updated files...  

5 hours ago, STARTairsoft780 said:

I think that it would be appreciated by server owners, hosting services, and even clients, about what these updates intend to include. 

Changelog has already been posted... 

• Like 2

I believe what this person is asking for is for the mission file to be released ahead of time. If that is the case then server owners could add scripts to their mission file, saving a separate copy of the file at the time so immediate testing isn't needed. Like him I do think this would be very useful.

It takes a handful of hours at best to update a server if you have custom content/modifications to files. I compare all the files I've modified, old and new, to determine if any changes are even needed, and then make the required changes to the new files. Simples.

Yeah, I take your point, but what for example if one is at work, or if they are out when the update is released, it would be a much smoother experience for their server's player base and create less stress for the server owner. For example, when a new operating system comes out the developers of said operating system give developers access to development tools so they can develop for that release before it comes out. If it works in that instance, why wouldn't it work for exile. I am guessing that the server file would be worked on until the last minute but is the mission file? If that is the case would it be possible to release one ahead of the other, as most scripts only require changes to the mission file. Furthermore, it took me about 3 hours to update last time exile updated but this time I am anticipating a time of around double that owing to the changes I have made since then, and if for example I am out at any point this weekend for a few hours, then the server upgrade process will be delayed even further. To the exile devs - do what you like, i'm not demanding any changes, i'm just expressing what i believe would be best for the community.

1 hour ago, 1Vincent Van Goat said:

i'm just expressing what i believe would be best for the community.

The community also wants git access, free unbinarized assets, ability to redistribute Exile Client, zombies, easy mode, hard mode, ability to sell microtransactions, DayZ: OverExiPoch, half life 3, a billion weapons, medical systems, weed, etc. The list can go on and on.
Also the mission file, which only contains the basics for a server and a config file, will not help anyone. Especially since their changelog lists mainly server / client changes this update.

----

The thing is that updates will always happen, and it will always break things.
It doesn't matter if Exile releases two days ahead of time, you will still have to spend some time if you have a heavily modded server. This doesn't change if they release 10 days ahead of time, or 20, you are still getting the same files as you were if they released when they said they were going to. Maybe even ones with more bugs because people wanted the files NOW, who knows. 

"But why not just release server files? Or just client files?"
Along with people running Version 1.1 server files with Version 1.0 client files, or the other way around. Also, a lot of scripts out there require client overwrites, or server overwrites. You wouldn't be saving any time because you would only be able to change only half of your files. 

"Why not just release it to just server owners?"
Let's look at Exile's stats: 2111 players on 1400 servers (at the time of writing this). Over a thousand people own and run servers.
Hypothetically, let's say that it was only one person hosted one server and they were on their server right now. 1400 server owners out of 2111 players, over 60% of exile's players online right now would be server owners. Now, I'm aware that's not accurate, as what it looks like the top 20% of servers have about 80% of the players.
If they released the files early to just server owners, you will still be in the same situation that you were before. The mass majority of players would have the files and will be trying to join servers. 

---

Honestly, releasing files early won't fix anything. It will actually cause more issues. They've already included a changelog of what's going on, if you notice, not much. :) 
Finally, there is a great program out there called Meld. Meld will allow you diff folders to see EXACTLY which files have changed, and allow you to merge individual lines in those files. You can update a heavily modded server in under an hour. ;) 

Edited by WolfkillArcadia
  • Like 2

Advertisement