Long Beard

Exile Tanoa Verdic

24 posts in this topic

So guys I switched our server over to Tanoa for testing and my initial thoughts were that the map is perhaps a little to small to be successful for Exile.  Another concern is it prevents many players who don't have the DLC from joining thus impacting server population.

What's your thoughts on the new map with Exile. Anyone having success with it? How's it going generally?

I like Tanoa because it is so different from Altis. The tropics rather than the desert is a welcome change. With that said, Altis is larger and most of the buildings are enter-able. I'm going to run/play on the new map for awhile. 

Advertisement

I don't have a public server as cant afford one at the moment but from what i have seen while working in the editor is favorable.

I don't think the map is to small to be successful for Exile as the jungle is so dense you could pass someones base and not even know it (providing the server has disabled the announcement that you have arrived at a base). Also the fact there are 5 main islands means that people will be spread out more. Yes a lot will want to base on the smaller islands and loot on the main but this will make more need helicopters or even boats for a first time.

Needing to own the DLC to be able to play is a concern as you are practically writing off anyone who does not have the DLC. That being said though, if you think back to ARMA 2, Operation Arrowhead was required for DayZ but that didn't affect the popularity of the mod, it reached one million players in its first four months! It was also credited for over 300,000 unit sales of ARMA 2 within two months of the mod's release. To start with you will have it affect the population but as word spreads about how cool it is and one or two people in a group of friends gets it the rest will soon follow.

Its still early days but i would expect it to gain popularity after Christmas as while some can afford to buy it straight away you will find the younger players will have to wait for birthdays and Christmas before they can get it.

• Like 5

There are too many objects on Tanoa for it to run well, serverside it is running like shit compared with almost every other map I've tried and client side the FPS is well down on what it should be.

It's a shame as it's a decent map, I'd have much preferred an urban setting though.

• Like 2

I was able to try it out over the weekend and performance has dipped down for me by about 25-30 FPS. This was also on a wasteland tanoa server from a respected community member whose known for performance being great on their servers. The map and new cessna/jetski has me really excited but i'm hoping some perfs come out or fixes to possibly increase the fps otherwise Exile servers may have to limit their objects to lower than other maps.

Player only. Not a server owner so my opinions are from a players perspective only. Visually, Tanoa looks amazing. The new sound design works wonders with this map. Running through the jungle in the rain is mesmerizing. Going into a tin roofed building and hearing the rain patter on the roof is something else. The rumbles of thunder are spot on. Size is very fair IMO. The main land is decent to traverse on foot and the outlying islands add to that. 

As far as cities, villages, and their buildings go, I think they lack variety. I know Altis only has a small amount of different buildings also but I think the fact that they are almost all enterable helped and the bigger cities and towns seemed to make good use of variations.

Performance seems to be lacking. I am sure it is partly (maybe mostly) because of the dense forests and high res textures but where I will get a smooth 50-60 (or above) on Altis, Esseker, Chernarus, etc. I will rarely get to 45 consistently on Tanoa. I also suffer some of the worst FPS drops out of any map I have played Exile on. Some of this seems to be tied to the current memory leak issue that Arma seems to be having so I can't say how much is to be blamed on Tanoa itself but I am confident that the map itself definitely worsens the effects. 

Speaking to what I think may be a more direct Exile issue, with the map just being a catalyst, I have yet to find a Tanoa server with a good balance of weapon spawns. It seems that there will be either very few weapon spawns at all or when there are a good amount of weapon spawns, I can only find MP5s, MP7s, Shotguns, and pistols. This is fine as I like the challenge of fresh spawns only having easy access to lower powered weapons but even after 2+ hours of roaming and visiting sites that SHOULD have higher tier weapon spawns, those sub machine guns and shotguns are still way over saturated.

My end verdict, as of this writing, is that I am putting Exile Tanoa servers to the side for the time being and continuing my rampages on Esseker servers (my favorite map currently) until some of these matters are resolved. I love Tanoas aesthetics but gameplay seems slow on every Tanoa server I have spent time on thus far.

• Like 3

Server owners / administrators really need to tread carefully with Tanoa. To be fair most server owners struggled to maintain decent FPS on more optimized maps, they will be crucified on TANOA. I am yet to join a Tanoa server that has + 40 people and get 30 fps in built up areas, typically because people are still running a billion missions / AI / increasing base building limits / increasing vehicle spawns / all the typical shit.

Tanoa needs TLC more than any other map -

• Drop the spawn vehicles down, standard config spawns like 170 vehicles, unnecessary.
  • Drop the server view distance - 1300 is a decent number on Tanoa
  • Lower the player count, anything above 50 is nope. Given the size, I think 40 players is optimal for Tanoa.
  • Lower the terrain grid (generally not an issue as most servers dont even know what this is, and are running like 50, derp) 12.5 is good here as distant hills with floating objects isnt as prevelent on TANOA compared to some other maps.
  • Dont fuck with the config and give people access to a billion base building objects << this x 2.
  • Adjust the loot cleanup so its a bit faster, smaller map, people can get back to their bodies quicker
  • Adjust the database settings, delete anything you can , quicker. For example, vehicles, delete em after 2 days instead of 3, if someone isnt touching it for 3 days then fuck them, them frames yo.
  • Dont fuck with the config and give + Loot + this + that + eeeeeeeerything.. fuck. More objects = Less frames
  • Adjust your DMS / Roaming AI or whatever you use and tone it the fuck down. Its a smaller map, you dont need 5 missions running, 4 capture points, 100 roaming AI and a partridge in a pear tree, logic.
  • Explore your options - There are server administrators out there that do this shit, dont just filter by player count.
  • Dont just add features, research them, at what cost is it to the server? Is it another thread im running? is it another bunch of objects that need rendering and network traffic?

Ultimately, Tanoa will struggle with FPS even with the aforementioned adjustments, but it can be manageable. People just need to research and optimize their servers. (but most wont).

• Like 5

12 hours ago, John said:

Server owners / administrators really need to tread carefully with Tanoa. To be fair most server owners struggled to maintain decent FPS on more optimized maps, they will be crucified on TANOA. I am yet to join a Tanoa server that has + 40 people and get 30 fps in built up areas, typically because people are still running a billion missions / AI / increasing base building limits / increasing vehicle spawns / all the typical shit.

Tanoa needs TLC more than any other map -

• Drop the spawn vehicles down, standard config spawns like 170 vehicles, unnecessary.
  • Drop the server view distance - 1300 is a decent number on Tanoa
  • Lower the player count, anything above 50 is nope. Given the size, I think 40 players is optimal for Tanoa.
  • Lower the terrain grid (generally not an issue as most servers dont even know what this is, and are running like 50, derp) 12.5 is good here as distant hills with floating objects isnt as prevelent on TANOA compared to some other maps.
  • Dont fuck with the config and give people access to a billion base building objects << this x 2.
  • Adjust the loot cleanup so its a bit faster, smaller map, people can get back to their bodies quicker
  • Adjust the database settings, delete anything you can , quicker. For example, vehicles, delete em after 2 days instead of 3, if someone isnt touching it for 3 days then fuck them, them frames yo.
  • Dont fuck with the config and give + Loot + this + that + eeeeeeeerything.. fuck. More objects = Less frames
  • Adjust your DMS / Roaming AI or whatever you use and tone it the fuck down. Its a smaller map, you dont need 5 missions running, 4 capture points, 100 roaming AI and a partridge in a pear tree, logic.
  • Explore your options - There are server administrators out there that do this shit, dont just filter by player count.
  • Dont just add features, research them, at what cost is it to the server? Is it another thread im running? is it another bunch of objects that need rendering and network traffic?

Ultimately, Tanoa will struggle with FPS even with the aforementioned adjustments, but it can be manageable. People just need to research and optimize their servers. (but most wont).

Can confirm that everything in this post is correct.

12 hours ago, John said:
  • Adjust your DMS / Roaming AI or whatever you use and tone it the fuck down. Its a smaller map, you don't need 5 missions running, 4 capture points, 100 roaming AI and a partridge in a pear tree, logic.

Lol, this got me at first.  I started with porting over my roaming AI config from Altis, basically as-is, and there were AI traffic jams.  Tanoa is about 40% the size of Altis, so everything needs to be scaled down accordingly. 

I also tweaked out the DMS "don't spawn missions to close to xxxx" parameters, so of the very few missions up at any one time, I can often get one to be off the mainland, which changes gameplay quite significantly, taking advantage of some of the Tanoa uniqueness.

Advertisement