MrWeeks

Patching as opposed to re-downloading

14 posts in this topic

Hi you beautiful people that make EXILE I love you all (nohomo)

Anyhow. Why the hell do we have to re-download the Exile mod as opposed to patching any new files over it? I get that this might become a bit tedious if you want to remove content, but then you could instead fairly easily build an MSI patcher to patch from a certain version to another and effect the changes you want. This will save you LOADS of server bandwidth as far as people downloading the mod is concerned.

Hope to hear back from you guys on this.

R

• Like 2

To hazard a guess, I'm not sure you can do this with signed PBO files. Mission files and server functions, sure.

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Apoc said:

To hazard a guess, I'm not sure you can do this with signed PBO files. Mission files and server functions, sure.

No, the signed files basically just contain a checksum that makes sure they are valid according to the server (AFAIK) I just don't see why EXILE hasn't implemented this sooner.

I don't believe I've seen any mod implement this kind of process. It even seems, based on the size of patches, that Arma does not follow that model.

16 hours ago, MrWeeks said:

No, the signed files basically just contain a checksum that makes sure they are valid according to the server (AFAIK) I just don't see why EXILE hasn't implemented this sooner.

You could make a system to do this then just pass it over :P 

I personally would be against any system that involves the player having to "know what they're doing" I have people that I have to explain how to copy @Exile to their ArmA 3 directory, do you really want to entrust people to do more than something as simple as deleting then copying and pasting?

18 minutes ago, KamikazeXeX said:

I personally would be against any system that involves the player having to "know what they're doing" I have people that I have to explain how to copy @Exile to their ArmA 3 directory, do you really want to entrust people to do more than something as simple as deleting then copying and pasting?

And what is simpler than clicking install?

Besides.. You could offer two versions, a patch and a complete download which would obviously be necessary for new downloaders or people that are too dumb to copy/paste and overwrite all.

If the devs go forward with the public GitHub since they've hit V1, then it'll be a moot point. You can have git do all of that nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Apoc said:

If the devs go forward with the public GitHub since they've hit V1, then it'll be a moot point. You can have git do all of that nonsense.

Oh? in that case Aww yeaaa :D Can't wait for that.

In that case... I might even be arsed to build a patcher for exile that checks for the latest version and can patch your mod for you.

Edited by MrWeeks

Advertisement