papahyooie

GTX gaming server crashing

Question

Hello all,

I just started renting a GTX gaming server after my own machine died the other day. :( 

So I uploaded all my files, and fired it up, and everything went off without a hitch. I was pretty impressed with the amount of control I have over the server, until it started randomly crashing. 

Now, I do realize that some of the mods that I have can cause such failures, but in the past I have fixed the issue by using tbbmalloc memory allocator. Unfortunately, there is no option to do so on GTX game servers. So I put in a support ticket to see if there was any way I could edit the start script to launch with tbbmalloc, as the file is actually in the root folder already, but not initialized in the start script. 

So far, the support ticket reps have been useless. I put in a ticket, and the answer I got was basically "your crashes are probably caused by mods." 

Does anyone know of a way to use tbbmalloc.dll on GTX game servers? Anything I can do to force it to load? 

34 answers to this question

From what I have read, and experienced, they always put it off on you and do nothing to help. I use their dedi service so I'm not familiar with their admin console/TC Admin.  If you had your own box before switching to virtual, it may simply be that the VS is just too weak. You will quickly realize that the power of a dedi or even a mid range gaming rig trumps a shitty VM. IMO, QGS is the way to go with virtual servers. They will support you and do their best to sort out any problem you come across instead of just putting the blame on you and bidding you good luck.

Also, some will disagree, but if you're running A3XAI, it could be the source of the problem, both of my servers were crashing until I removed it. One high pop, the other low to empty would still crash. As for the custom memory allocater, it's suggested by the Arma devs not to use it with 1.6 as it's also causing crashes.

Edited by oSoDirty
  • Like 1

Well, I've found out that you can eventually get what you need done... you just have to guide them to exactly what you need done and correct their work a few times and ask nicely.... I got them to add tbbmalloc and some other startup script changes I needed to make. 

Advertisement

GTX is not a good host for hosted servers we had two Arma 2 servers and one Exile Server they would always crash and sometimes all 3 would  be down for an hour at the same time. When i contacted them about it they said it was down for maintenance and to remember that time as it would be the same every week so that was the final straw and now we are using a dedicated box from new host and have not had 1 issue with Arma 2 and the exile server is yet to be completed . I have no experience with there dedi box so cannot give my opinion. Hope you get better performance from them than we did 6 weeks of hell so glad to have got away from them.

The reason I chose them is because I demo'd their control panel and saw that I had full file access and FTP. Every other host I had looked at only allowed you to install preconfigured "one-click-install" mods. You couldn't access the actual files, only their control panel. 

Is there a better host that provides the same level of control/performance? (one that's not a dedi... unfortunately I'm not willing to spend that much money... if I was going to spend money on a dedi, I'd just buy another machine and host it myself as i did before.) 

Unless you know of a comparable performance dedi for the same price lol

Yea sadly thats the best thing with GTX full access to the control panel as the price i really don't know, ATM im using Host Havoc to learn more and getting my own server setup and they are brilliant for support they have one click mods but you have full access to files and ftp etc. Performance i really cannot comment as the server has not been stress tested. The dedi we are using atm is from Webtropia and so far we have not been disappointed  

Quality game servers does preconfigured servers with ftp access. And have great customer service. Not saying others mentioned don't, I'm just speaking of personal experience as we use them before we moved to a dedi and at the beginning we were really good at borking the server =D . They always got us back online no matter how bad we goofed though.

Don't know what you're paying, but you can get a dedi for like $80 at ovh, and for that price it's pretty good b/c you can easily host 6 servers. I'm using a dedi, but paying $130 for it, wouldn't be so much but I got SSDs, and I'm running a Xeon processor and high speed ram. I host multiples and love the control I have over everything. I do IT stuff for a living though, so it's just more comfortable for me to go the dedi route. Players on my a2 servers cover the costs for the most part :) 

Might consider the $80 option if you're paying close to it already.

Well, previously I had been hosting several on my own personal dedicated machine. With GTX, I'm paying 75 a quarter. So if I was going to pay 80 a month, I would just repair the server I've got. 

Advertisement