ViBrationNC

Devs.. If you must

14 posts in this topic

Real short and sweet... If we must change to physical money...

1.WIPE? If there must be a wipe.. is there a way only to wipe poptabs? I.E. leaving territories and vehicles and containers?

2.No wipe..? How will we transfer current balances? How many slots will the poptabs take? Will weight be an issue for inventory?(I know money has weight.. but in this case we already have enough carrying weight)  

3.Banking system? Someone mentioned a mod/addon that would allow just that.. maybe you could go that route.. Bank Safezone, ATM's that are separate and far away from traders and territories?? 

Thanks guys.. just throwing this out there as there are concerns.. knowing some of these things in advance might change the way some people play, or dont play.

I would prefer an option to drop a configurable amount of money on death instead of carrying object money as object seam to disappear and drop through things or glitch in many ways in arma...

Advertisement

1) When there's a will, there's a way. You'll always be able to update the database and keep the poptabs, one way or another.

2) @Patrix87 I'm pretty sure that this concern was pretty much the first thing that the devs considered. I wouldn't worry about the normal repercussions of "inventory" in regards to the currency.

3) Exile is highly customizable. Like I said with 1; when there's a will, there's a way. I'm sure that a banking system will be one of the first things to come out in the server modding section.

18 hours ago, Patrix87 said:

I would prefer an option to drop a configurable amount of money on death instead of carrying object money as object seam to disappear and drop through things or glitch in many ways in arma...

Where would that money come from though? Are you suggesting it is the players money or just a generated reward?

I remember reading a suggestion where someone said it could work where players drop a percentage of their pop-tabs when killed. I initially thought it seemed like a decent idea but it then occurred to me that if it was a counter productive to getting players to play longer term as it was a system that supported new and casual players too much over longer term players - e.g. new players could quickly jump on a  server, quickly gear up and then set about glacking longer term players, dropping next to nothing when they die yet recouping huge amounts when they kill. They risked nothing, yet stood to be rewarded plenty.

Best case scenario of this is it would only cease for each new player when they themselves had "earned" enough money like this to start risking dropping decent amounts themselves, worst case scenario is its a very troll-friendly mechanism that you can easily envision being exploited.

If we're talking about just generating a pop-tab reward then you have to start thinking about how that will affect game dynamics, having a fixed amount of pop-tabs dropped for every single kill is basically rewarding with points for killing and encourages hostile play, not to mention it being a system that could easily be exploited. 

I appreciate  physical currency also encourages more PvP and KOS, but at least the individuals can dictate the risk/reward themselves (by deciding what they will risk and when) and they will put a whole lot more effort into not losing the money because its their money that will be lost if they are killed, as opposed to the game's money.  

If I read this, I have the feeling that it's still very unclear what Exile really is for each player.

For my understanding, Exile is a survival orientated mod with pvp elements and basebuilding.
So it provides not enough features to position itself clearly as a "survival / basebuilding / progression" or a "pvp / gear-up / die|kill" mod.

There's no question about the technical way to implement money physically. @eraser1 mentioned that well.
And it's was done already in different ways.

Hard cash would make sense to be stored in a safe. For a safe you need a base. So you have something todo, next to pvp.
If you don't have a base or a place to basically store your "stolen" goods from others in pvp, you will loose it by yourself sooner or later.
This will drive players more into the additional things exile does offer or will do in future. Keyword: Endgame.

Overall hard cash (without Banking!) would add depth to the exile idea. (As far as I understood the idea :) ).

--

Imo that would be a great addition since I think exile on a "easy-gearup-go-kill" level supported by the basic vanilla version,
will/would make exile interchangable with the next mod to come which will have an item orientated loot system, gear to find, some objects to place system.

33 minutes ago, Boxman80 said:

I remember reading a suggestion where someone said it could work where players drop a percentage of their pop-tabs when killed. I initially thought it seemed like a decent idea but it then occurred to me that if it was a counter productive to getting players to play longer term as it was a system that supported new and casual players too much over longer term players - e.g. new players could quickly jump on a  server, quickly gear up and then set about glacking longer term players, dropping next to nothing when they die yet recouping huge amounts when they kill. They risked nothing, yet stood to be rewarded plenty.

Will that not be the case as well if the player had all his poptabs on him? Would it not then be even worse if a guy for instance was on his way to a trader to purchase a vehicle of 50K and a new spawn with a pistol shoots him in the back and scores 50k instantly? By the time the guy gets back to his body the new spawn is long gone and tabs probably already spent at the trader gearing up.... With a % drop atleast the above mentioned is mitigated some what..... I think that is one of the major concerns currently, If there is no way to safe guard the money you collected the risk of a casual/ new player getting lucky remains the same.

The main problem or initial problem statement was that Exile is becoming to easy... I agree however if transporting money to and from your base is going to be the only way you can purchase anything from the traders, I can see a lot of guys loosing their money constantly when trying to get from their base to the trader. Once your base is descovered and its found to be to complex to raid you'll just be camped and as soon as you leave your base you will be killed and the money you have or saved for that very important money storage safe stolen.

And this is where I would like to chime in on the solo players side, you cannot in that scenario expect the solo player to win against a group. Even if he is the most stealthiest of player he cannot see all around his base at the same time when leaving. So either he will not build a base or very seldom leave his base if he did. Alternatively the solo player will play only when the groups and clans are not on the servers.

• Like 1

Being able to lose (or win) everything is the whole idea behind this change. Yes, a bambi can sneak up behind you and take it all but if you don't see a bright orange jumpsuit coming your way it's kinda your own fault.
That being said, it also goes the other way around with you being the killer and striking a small fortune with one well placed bullet.

Everybody is so concerned about losing stuff that they forget the fact that they can win just as much, on top of an exilerating (see what I did there?) gaming experience

• Like 1

Will that not be the case as well if the player had all his poptabs on him? Would it not then be even worse if a guy for instance was on his way to a trader to purchase a vehicle of 50K and a new spawn with a pistol shoots him in the back and scores 50k instantly? By the time the guy gets back to his body the new spawn is long gone and tabs probably already spent at the trader gearing up.... With a % drop atleast the above mentioned is mitigated some what..... I think that is one of the major concerns currently, If there is no way to safe guard the money you collected the risk of a casual/ new player getting lucky remains the same.

It will of course be the case where new players will get lucky sometime and manage to tag a long term player and recoup all of their goods, that's what I was alluding to  further down in the post. However I feel that's a little more balanced as it's then instigated and governed by the players involved themselves instead of relying on an automated system to regulate this i.e.  The longer term player decides what (if anything to risk) his goods/currency and the new player has to be in the right place at the right time to use this  to their advantage. Ultimately I'd say it should be up to players to deiced how safe to play it  in terms of risking currency, not in my opinion, just have it automatically deducted regardless.

In terms of the safeguarding the currency its self, I would like to see some kind of limited secure banking system that allows new and low tier/solo players to be cautious and not risk losing everything but then forces them to take bigger risks for bigger rewards further down the line -basically the richer you become the harder it should be to stay rich.   Basically have a banking system that allows a limit of savings (maybe that could be set by admins), but once that limit has been reached larger denominations of currency could either to be converted to some kind of commodity that make it easier to store (gold or drugs  for example) , or it could be just broken down into bundles and spread throughout various safes or storage units, well thus being the logical options - some people will just keep all their eggs in one basket  and cry when that basket is looted. I feel this puts more of an emphasis on base and territory control and the need for it. 

The main problem or initial problem statement was that Exile is becoming to easy... I agree however if transporting money to and from your base is going to be the only way you can purchase anything from the traders, I can see a lot of guys loosing their money constantly when trying to get from their base to the trader. Once your base is descovered and its found to be to complex to raid you'll just be camped and as soon as you leave your base you will be killed and the money you have or saved for that very important money storage safe stolen.

Again, that's going to happen we all know it, but isn't that part of the game? Shouldn't that be part of the game?  That's a genuine question by the way - I don't know, personally I feel it should as it encourages cooperative and group play, making a  strong survive environment. I do believe it is harsh though but I feel that it will encourage more thoughtful play. However with some kind of banking system it at least softens this a little bit as it doesn't always force players to leave their base with money all the time.

And this is where I would like to chime in on the solo players side, you cannot in that scenario expect the solo player to win against a group. Even if he is the most stealthiest of player he cannot see all around his base at the same time when leaving. So either he will not build a base or very seldom leave his base if he did. Alternatively the solo player will play only when the groups and clans are not on the servers.

From how I believe the mod could go, ie. more focused on territory/areas control of the map and large clans/groups dominating areas of the map, I feel this may be irrelevant as solo or small groups players may be forced to cooperate (or avoid!)  bigger groups' anyway and as such may even get some kind of "protection" from those groups. Again, good or bad this is the dynamics of the game. Some solo/small groups would enjoy this, some wouldn't. Not to mention there are mechanics in the game that can assist solo players more - particularity as you say stealth elements. For example a solo player could feasibly hide out on a  big map and remain undetected if they were clever and kept their base small and manageable. But the reality is the bigger  your base the more you need to secure and the more conspicuous you are.

If a solo player decides to go on a  big server with a few big groups on, builds himself a huge fortress somewhere right out in the open it is going to get noticed and it will get larger groups interested (i.e. it is going to have resources behind it!).  Can he really complain that those groups are then going to camp it, or mistake it for a potential rival groups' territory? 

Advertisement