BetterDeadThanZed

Another "What do you think of this dedicated" thread

7 posts in this topic

Here's a dedicated server I'm considering. What do you think of the performance potential of it? 

Core: Intel E3-1271V3 4 x 3.9 GHz Turbo
Port Speed: 100 Mbps (Unmetered)
Outbound Bandwidth (Inbound is Free): 10 TB
Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

I'm currently running 2 Exile servers on a VPS and they work fine but if I fire up a test server at the same time, it's bringing the CPU usage up kinda high so I'm thinking of a dedicated server. 

Personally I've never had any success running multiple servers on the same system performance wise, but all my servers are quad cores.
You need more than a quad core to do it successfully IMO (although you could probably manage with a test server as long as it isn't packed full of AI)

Advertisement

Never a good idea to run game servers on a VPS, as all resources are shared with other customers. Dedicated server is the only way you'll get max performance without interference from 100's of other applications running in the same environment. 

I've ran 3 servers from a dedicated with more or less the same specs, performance was beautiful on all of them, 2x 70 players, and 1 heavy loader, realism servers with good traffic as well. It is possible, but keep an eye out, your CPU may bottleneck itself ^_^

I've been running two servers with AI and zombies and I've been told it runs better than when my server was hosted. It's a quad core VPS with 8 GB of RAM. What I'm interested in is opinions on the setup in the OP.

Thank you for the info on your server @ka0s

Edited by BetterDeadThanZed

1 hour ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

What about these CPU comparisons. 

Intel i7 3930 6 cpu @3.8mhz or dual Intel Xeon L5420 8 cpu @2.6mhz

Packing more cores in isn't going to help with A3 servers (unless you're trying to run an ungodly amount of servers on one machine.) Definitely go with which one has the best single core performance, which in this case is the i7. 

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-L5420-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3930K

5 minutes ago, papahyooie said:

Packing more cores in isn't going to help with A3 servers (unless you're trying to run an ungodly amount of servers on one machine.) Definitely go with which one has the best single core performance, which in this case is the i7. 

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-L5420-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3930K

Thanks for that info. If I go dedicated, I'll probably end up with the i7. 

• Like 1

Advertisement