Freaknastii

Steam Workshop (Part 2)

20 posts in this topic

since you shut down my last thread before i could make a decent argument for my point I figured I would try again,

My point for wanting/needing a Steam workshop download so that we can keep Exile up to date as your updates roll out is:

1. so everyone has the same version

2. it is kept up to date and only updates when you update it

3. so you have more control over what is done with your product ( I will explain, because I have read your concerns on the ask a Dev section)

My explanation/rebuttal for your case against putting it on the Steam workshop is,  you put out your Mod like Domination, insurgency, and Invade and Annex mods, anyone who has been playing Arma for a while has a PBO cracker and can pretty much read, adjust, and rewrite your game code. There isn't anything you can do about it due to the BI terms of use other than keep putting out more updates. So, for those of us that would like to play a canon version of Exile it would be much easier to keep up to date.

As for it becoming someone elses property, your fears are kind of like trying to un-shave a cat, putting a raincoat on while swimming , or trying to get a bullet back after pulling the trigger.  There is no doubt that you are the developer(s) and are doing a great job otherwise I wouldn't even ask.  On the other hand if you had released the mod like DayZ mod or Breaking Point, with its own Hive(s) I could Understand and even agree with you that maybe you shouldn't put it on Steam workshop, But as you can check into Breaking point is on the workshop and they keep it up to date through the workshop but no one can do anything with it because they have their own servers and their own Hive. I am not saying that exile should go to the same lengths, I am only pointing out that your rebuttal that it becomes someone elses property is kind of silly since you kind of made it community property in a way.

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Freaknastii said:

A3 launcher only gives you the version that is on the server, so it really isn't the latest version all the time now is it?

Fun fact, A3L Dev has stayed up around 8+ hours  on TS  waiting on Exile Devs to give him the final release to put up on the launcher during the christmas release.
During the 8+hours the Exile Devs were doing last minute bug fixes & testing.

So there is pretty good communication between the Exile Devs & A3Launcher Dev  to make sure the releases are upto date.
That is why the A3Launcher always has the latest Exile Version.

Edited by Torndeco
  • Like 3

To be honest, if a player is unable to download and install Exile with the current system then I don't want them on my server.

Look at it as weeding out the chaff.

Edited by second_coming
  • Like 4

Wow... Ok, here is my cents. 

Lets take Community Based Addons for example, you download it through Workshop, they push a update, however your CBA is still the old version, this made me download all my mods manually, because obviously Steam Workshop is BS, and doesn't update when there actually is a update, it's lagging behind as fuck. If you don't know how to handle your mods, don't play Arma 3, because that's all it is more or less.  B|

• Like 1

You guys are just afraid of changes.

Steam workshop and the arma 3 default launcher is finally something universal.. once you have set your mods they will autodownload, equally which mod it is..

nothing against A3L or anything like that, but it has only a few of the mods and they are lagging behind as fuck either.. if you are a serverowner and you are worried that you miss the newest version of a mod, then you shouldnt run the mod.. and you shouldnt run a server either. That simple.

And since there are like 5 illegal upload of exile in steam WS its totally equal to whom it belongs.. and stop kidding.. copyright flaws on a mod of a game which is public.. thats kind of a joke.

• Like 1

The way I look at it , You can Jump Up and Down , Stomp your feet , or Yell . It won't help . Eichi and crew are the owners .  They have had plenty of time too reconsider . They said "NO" . End of Story .

Edited by Goblin

Advertisement