cGs! mIKE

What "IF" we don't have filters?

13 posts in this topic

Just asking,  what IF there are no filters listed in the battleeye folder?  does that mean NO ONE will get kicked since there is nothing to compare against?  or does it mean MORE people will get kicked because there are no exceptions?

I'm trying to wrap my head around how the .txt files work in battleeye... if they are meant to add EXTRA security,  or are they there to allow MORE files to run without battleeye interruption. 

For example,  Infistar admin comes with premade .txt you are supposed to put in the battleye folder,  are they there to help anti-hacking effort?  or purely to allow infistar to work properly without getting blocked itself? 

I've searched a lot, and read a lot,  but cannot wrap my head on the battleeye side of things.    With filters or not,  players still getting kicked when they use/buy any CUP vehicles,  so I'm confused to say the least. 

Any help is appreciated.  

No txt files mean no restrictions.

for example

deleteVehicle.txt

Having this file, with no exceptions means if I ran "deleteVehicle cursorTarget;" I get kicked. 

If I remove the filter (.txt file) I can run the code, or if I add the code to the exceptions within the file I can run it.

Short answer, remove the files, no restrictions. Less security.

Edited by John

Advertisement

I just leave these three thoughts here:

• It requires you exactly 24 lines of code to bypass BattlEye security.
  • If you disable BE completely, your server will be listed as "unsecure" in the server browser, calling out for scripties
  • The client does not (easily) see the script filters. So if you remove the filters, a scriptie will only see that you run BE, but they cannot see that you do not have filters. They can only risk being banned by testing out.

It is up to you.

IMO, all of the major stuff is taken care of by the other filters (remoteExec, publicVariable, setDamage). You can use scripts.txt to add an extra layer of security, but as Eichi said, scripts.txt is easy to bypass, and the skiddy might not necessarily know that you don't have script filters.

If you have a small/private server and whitelisting filters takes alot of time, just remove em all. Put em back when you start seeing hackers on your servers.

Edited by GR8

general question here.

Do i even need be filters if using infistar, or does infistar have enough protection to keep the hackers out? I havent really cared in the past, but starting to learn filters and how they work, just so i know how to work with them.

@tinboye "if you cant setup your server with verified signatures and battleye on, you shouldnt be running a server" I asked that same question when i first started running a Exile server and that was the kind of answer I got, I sat for a while learning how to make filters and have battleye running, Id advise you to do the same, Yeh you dont need battleye to run a server BUT no battleye = less security, making it easier for hackers. Just the other day i couldnt get a filter to work but with the help on this forum I got it working. So for me id definitely say YES learn them and have BE activated.

Edited by DavieReid88

I can setup the filters, my question was simply is there any point, if using infistar, it being antihack tool. I keep battleye enabled always and verify sigs set to 1. But in the past I just deleted all the filter files and ran infistar and rcon. Really what im getting at is, how much added security do the filters add when running infistar. DO i need to spend hours adding filters.

I am a big hater of BE filters, too. Such a pain in the ass. Every time we were done with our stuff we had to make filters. That sometimes took three people and two to three days of work. I could not even count anymore how many (fucking) times I had to fly into a power line or open the drawer of the office trader desk.

In Arma 1.66, Bohemia silently introduced a new way of security. This is not going to replace BE filters, but it could significantly reduce the number of filters required. The concept is simple: Certain script commands can simply be disabled.

It is something that can be done in the description.ext. Probably it is something we will never use as there are so many customizations out there, that we would break them. Imagine we disallow createUnit. Oh, the hate.

But it might be useful for you guys:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgDisabledCommands

• Like 5

Advertisement