Thrash

Namalsk from 3 hours of gameplay

32 posts in this topic

1.  The temperature system is not particularly realistic, and if it's not realistic because it's too aggressive, then it's something that can turn people off.  In long sleeves/pants, I was freezing to death in 2.5C - that's not very cold, and in real life, were I moving around and staying active (at the cost of energy, or food) then I wouldn't even remotely feel cold.  Were I more acclimated to colder weather, then 2.5C would be shorts and t-shirt weather.

In Exile I was freezing to death while moving, while clothed, while fed.  It was basically just a time limit on being alive.  I mean, I imagine most servers are going to disable this anyway because no one wants Arma 2 where they need to drink Icy Hot if they are going to snipe somewhere, but since it has been a portion of your development time I'd like to at least see it work properly.

The area we were freezing was basically anywhere on the southern side of the map, not at elevation.  We were dying even while running around in the trader.

2.  Hotwiring didn't seem to work, or it didn't have repercussions.  I was under the impression that you would lose the items required to hotwire, at a specific %chance, upon failure.  We were able to sit there and repeatedly attempt to hotwire, to varying success (highest we got was like 51%) but we never lost our items.  We attempted to hotwire a vehicle for approximately 15-20m without losing the items.

3.  Ambient sounds for the Namalsk map are awful.  It sounds like whoever did it ripped audio files from someone else and mashed them together in fruityloops.  

I can't even really describe how bad it is, from a world renowned audio engineer who I play with, "this is some of the worst garbage I've ever heard".

What we don't need in an ambient soundtrack (if we even need one, lol)

- An ATV that we always hear in our right ear (Or an ATV, period)

- A HEMMT/Ural that we always hear in our right ear (Or a HEMMT/Ural, period)

- A fixed wing jet aircraft as it streaks past our right ear (Or a fixed wing jet aircraft, period)

- Roughly 0.7s of a helicopter rotor as a transition sound

- Muffled radio chatter that sounds like children at a distance in direct chat 

On top of this, there are exotic bird calls you'd expect on a map like Lingor or Tanoa and other random sounds that are too loud and out of place.  Honestly, this is worse than the panthers/jaguars that Lingor used to have.  Ignoring the quality of the audio used in this soundtrack, it's clientside like all ambient tracks which means that every 10s my team is making callouts about vehicles and people because it's so distracting and awful.  You can eventually distinguish between the ambient and something real, but why should I have to have that in my repertoire?  

Fake vehicle sounds in the ambient background while freezing to death in shorts and t-shirt weather.  That's a very Epoch move.

4.  The map appeared to run great.  With 60 people online, I was getting between 90 and 130FPS on max settings.  The map also looked great, with a lot of the problems in Arma 2 (the map had two tones in lowered settings) seemingly fixed.  Our view distance was also set to 2k and again, seemed to work great.

5.  Namalsk is definitely a map that probably doesn't need parachute spawns.  Obviously any server can edit this, but developing a random coast spawn system to package with default Exile would probably go a long way towards making this map more balanced.

From Sawmill/Westpoint, I can parachute to my body or close to it almost anywhere on the map.

• Like 5

I agree with you according to the sounds. Those gaz volga sounds in the background are strange, still thinking there is someone.

The temperature system seems to be working for us, our temperature went down when raining a lot all the time. (5 minutes ago) 

I ain't really agree with your argument, according to parachute spawns. And I gonna explain why. On a 100 players server, without a parachute system, you won't get out of the spawn area. Thanks to this system, my friend who got killed spawned in north-west area, opened his parachute immediatly, and flown far away thanks to it. He landed 800m from me ! So I think that parachute system when there are 100 players, must be used.

I see that a lot of people is staying in area spawns. Seriously, why ? We are here to test ! The rest of the maps (excepting some military areas) are often empty. With 100 players, we meet 2 guys near the center map, and 3 guys near sebjan warehouse. And that's all.

According to the map, she's just beautiful. The weather is great, the ambient is good too, a little bit dark when raining, you can feel the cold thing. 

Thanks devs for it. With the temperature system, on a 40 players server, it will be a perfect survival. (I think I didn't make any mistake, apologize if I did, english ain't my first language)

Edited by Sqweeg

Advertisement

The point with the spawns is referenced to making them more like Arma 2 spawns where you would spawn randomly along the entire coastline.  As it is, I could be in a firefight anywhere on the map and be back to my body in under 5 minutes.  While that seems great, when you're fighting a large group of people that makes small maps feel really awful.

• Like 1

As a friendly reminder, do not place a ground spawn point near grid 049061 or bad things will happen.

Also, pbo extraction seems to be broken. I really wanted to verify the lighting config because it seems very very similar to New haven from breaking point.

16 hours ago, wasti said:

Also, pbo extraction seems to be broken. I really wanted to verify the lighting config because it seems very very similar to New haven from breaking point.

Yeah yeah yeah...we all know what you was doing..trying to get it sorted for a server....we all know lol...^_^

Anyway, on a serious point, the map is definately one of the best, whilst still a little small, I have seen on A3, the weather system is a little extreme but as noted earlier, it can be tweaked by admins.

Sounds are a bit trashy, could do with some touching up however most of those can be sorted out by allowing sound mods like dragonfyre and the such.

Halo spawns are, in my opinion, a waste of time, as stated before you die, get a halo and just casually float down to a couple of hundred metres away from where you died...it removes the need to fight for your hard found loot, removes all risk of losing gear. I mean what is the actual point?? get some coast spawns and work for your loot...

• Like 1

100% agree on ambient sounds.  Jets and fake vehicle sounds every 2 minutes is pretty annoying, especially when you are trying to call out actual vehicles.  Temp system was working great last night when I was on.  As for spawns, parachute spawns are still great, though I would lower the altitude to not allow a player to be able to travel 2km on such a small map. Probably would decrease it to 400-500m high (if that). 

4 hours ago, Capt Caveman said:

Yeah yeah yeah...we all know what you was doing..trying to get it sorted for a server....we all know lol...

There is no reason to extract pbo's to make a server....(I've had the other test version for a month ish and haven't shared it with anyone... it would take me all of 2 seconds to click the bat file on my internal server to start a server....) However, given the general open-ness of Exile I was surprised when the pbos didn't extract... as if they were intentionally broken......

20 minutes ago, wasti said:

There is no reason to extract pbo's to make a server....(I've had the other test version for a month ish and haven't shared it with anyone... it would take me all of 2 seconds to click the bat file on my internal server to start a server....) However, given the general open-ness of Exile I was surprised when the pbos didn't extract... as if they were intentionally broken......

the 'be all and end all' is that there is absolutely no reason for you to open the pbo, never mind - 

20 hours ago, wasti said:

I really wanted to verify the lighting config because it seems very very similar to New haven from breaking point.

?? the only reason you would want to be able to open the pbo is so you can include it as part of a new server! and whether or not you have a bat file server start, ready to go means nothing, no-one mentioned anything about your ability to start or even run a server, which, for arguments sake I also have the same.

You're silly Caveman and your still new here, and I haven't been very active lately; Nice to meet you :P

Anyway,  I'm not trying to argue at all, but really, the @exileserver RC isn't publicly available so why would I waste time like that?

I'm simply curious as to the values present in the lighting config of the terrain because they significantly changed since the last version that I have.

Another reason to extract is to get class names, I could go on and on about the various reasons to extract a pbo, but trust me when I say my intentions are not malicious or nefarious.

Either way, since the terrain is being released as stand alone, I'm hoping that the pbo's will be extract-able upon official release.

Advertisement