[OMG]Slim

Which Linux is the best for running a server?

17 posts in this topic

As in title, i have dug up couple of old laptops and want to experiment a little with Linux system(should be easier than try getting windows to work). I've heard few different names like Centos, Debian, Ubuntu... If someone could give me a tip, maybe some of them are more noob friendly good for beggining or anything like that? Or some are better than others when it comes to run the server at all etc... In advance big thanks for tips and info !

Debian 7/8 in my opinion. but i honestly recommend windows server 2012 r2. :) but if you would like any help with linux, feel free to contact me here, i have a good amount of experience with Linux. 

Advertisement

Thanks for help guys, sadly during installation of Linux( i was trying Ubuntu at the time) hard drive failure did not allow installation :( New drive will arrive by the end of the next week i will look into both :) Crunchbag looks quite cool after first look cos they say its built on Debian and has more user friendly additions or something :) Atm i am installing my win7, wouldnt i need to purchase 

4 hours ago, †RiH† Stokes said:

windows server 2012 r2

??

I am trying to see whats linux all about and learn it because all of the "fixes" for zombies just dont work( i have one more to try - ai caching mod, but i dont hope for brilliant result...), and dont want to spend money to rent a server xD Oh crap forgot to click submit :)

1 hour ago, [OMG]Slim said:

Thanks for help guys, sadly during installation of Linux( i was trying Ubuntu at the time) hard drive failure did not allow installation :( New drive will arrive by the end of the next week i will look into both :) Crunchbag looks quite cool after first look cos they say its built on Debian and has more user friendly additions or something :) Atm i am installing my win7, wouldnt i need to purchase 

??

I am trying to see whats linux all about and learn it because all of the "fixes" for zombies just dont work( i have one more to try - ai caching mod, but i dont hope for brilliant result...), and dont want to spend money to rent a server xD Oh crap forgot to click submit :)

i've already tryed the ai cashing, dosent work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [OMG]Slim said:

??

you are able to get a free copy of windows server 2012 r2.

• Like 1

Big thanks man, unfortunately i couldnt install windows on this drive as well, gonna have to wait till the "new" one (2 actually) comes :( . Current one is having none of it xD

i use ubuntu on all my servers whenever possible.  i think overall linux makes for a much better. ser er platform. thats what its designed for.

A few points here.  The version of linux is what kernel is running.  You mean which distribution, ie: debian ubuntu centos fedora etc.  Each distribution takes the linux kernal and base OS and packages it together with certain default applications and customizations.  but they all will use the same underlying OS. When running a server we usually do not install the desktop because the X system uses too much resources,that could otherwise be used for the game and mysql server.  So the biggest difference you will notice on linux server systems is in the installation application that is installed: Debian based distributions use aptitude while ResHat based systems use yum.  It doesnt really matter but people,become familiar with onebor the other and then are forever in that camp.  If you choose to install a desktop, you can install any of them on any distruburion.

So which one to recommend?  It comes down to two really: ubuntu (debian based) or centos (redhat based).  If you are SURE you will never run a desktop then Debian itself is another choice.  If you are going to install a desktop, the definately NOT debian.

Debian strives to be rock solid stable and 100% free. so it doesnt support hardware until the drivers are proven stable, so for older hardware its good but may not support newer stuff as soon as ubuntu or centos. Some apps are not in its repository becuase it avoids anything commercial.  Its a stable, no-frills system .. emphasis on stable because it avoids jumping on new hardware/software until its proven stable.

Ubuntu takes the debian, adds in all kinds of bells and whistles and makes a popular cutting edge desktop ... and adds in a certain amount of instability. Which as a server you will not use, so at its heart its just debian and as such is stable.  

Centos does the same but for the red hat.  As i have been a debian based based user since the beginning (i used freeBSD before linux was even created), i am familiar and comfortable with aptitude and therefore have never attempted to learn red hats package management .. easier to just install what i know..   so i know little of centos except its popular and a good stable server platform.

So my answer to your question is Ubuntu but only because i am familiar with it. Debian would work eually if no desktop.  Desktop on laptops have special reauirements that debian may not support yet.  But i advise to NOT use a desktop for a server.  Ubuntu/debian is not better than centos .. but I am familiar with it.  A centos user will provide the exact same and correct arvuements for installing centos. whichever one you choose, will make put you in that 'camp' for life.  In the end they are all great and it doesnt matter much.

• Like 1

If you want the Ubuntu of Red Hat, you use Fedora Workstation or Fedora Server. Fedora server has a great little management tool called Cockpit. It allows you to control your server from anywhere. Very Very nice interface.  I dont normally recommend Ubuntu Server as Ubuntu runs "unstable" code base. I like Stable over Bells and Whistles. If you can swing it, check out OpenSUSE SLED (SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) or RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux). Another good one to keep an eye on is CoreOS.

Advertisement