Mike Bravo

Reconsider Keys and Locking!!!

39 posts in this topic

I believe the change must be made and keys implemented into the game. 

I will respond to each comment by Eichi.

• "My uniform disappeared, now my car keys are gone" (If you have experience this, please report it here) Fixes -  Able to craft spare keys, vehicle unlock after x amount of days so vehicles can be reclaimed. My experience the last few weeks no clothing has been disappearing.
  • "I have locked my keys in my car" - Safe zones vehicles automatically unlock at restart, vehicle unlock x days ect
  • "My corpse de-spawned with my car keys in it" - this does not occur currently so why would it when keys are implemented. 
  • "My friend wants to drive my car, but I am miles away with the keys with me" - ridiculous 
  • "I have ten keys in my safe, but only three cars. Which one is still in use?" - pen and paper and half a brain will sort this out

The several changes suggested insted of the keys seem ok but if you're going to do all that just implement the keys!

Can i also mention that the thermal scanners are almost pointless. I think you have 15 min to scan a vehicle then after only three attempts at cracking the code you are locked out. Add to this that you may have just killed a player at their vehicle and you cannot take it? Not very realistic. 

The major benefits of introducing keys are the PvP situations it can create and also adding some value into killing and or looting another player. Currently you loot a geared player and basically get nothing out of it as you can only carry one good primary weapon and most other items have little or no value. 

All of you veterans of Arma 2 mods think of them times you pulled off a great shot on a passer by or you loot a guys body under heavy fire to obtain an enemy player's key then vehicle, it's a thrill and reward like nothing the exile mod currently has to offer. (fond memories of stealing btr's)

Mods please take notice, it was the most viewed thread on the new feature thread by a long way and for good reason, it's a major problem with the mod. For those who voted against the changes back to keys you need to have a good look at yourselves in the mirror and take off your sisters underwear.

In closing Arma should be a gripping and thrilling experience of towering highs and humiliating lows not the security of "ive locked my car"

Edited by Mike Bravo
  • Like 7

Advertisement

no has been voted but i hope silently for a Server configurable option with vehicle locking from inside.

@ Mike Bravo; concerning thermal proscanner  " think you have 15 min to scan a vehicle then after only three attempts at cracking the code you are locked out. Add to this that you may have just killed a player at their vehicle and you cannot take it? Not very realistic.  "    <--- I would've waited til the guy got in the vehicle than shoot him but i do get your point a  bit

• Like 1

Why should Exile be a clone of Epoch? Let them do their own thing and not worry about the Arma 2 days or keys..

I for one have never played ArmA 2, so I have no comment on that.

But I loved the idea of keys. I can't stand code locked vehicles because it offers way too much protection. I'm interested to see how the Devs plans will work out. 

Hopefully it may take some of that protection away.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Flosstradamus said:

Why should Exile be a clone of Epoch? Let them do their own thing and not worry about the Arma 2 days or keys..

Give me a PvP situation that involves a player in a vehicle that could possibly result in me getting their car. As it stands right now when you're shooting at someone in a vehicle they either keep driving or get out and lock the car before engaging in anymore PvP. This makes it almost pointless to get engage a player in a vehicle unless you get that one really nice shot as they are driving off.

As for the issue with friends wanting keys to vehicles, most of this can be solved with making a copy or multiple copy of your keys. Make a digital key ring, or even some  sort of literal key storage container for your base. It should be YOUR responsibility to write down which key goes to which vehicle. If  you don't remember and you have 15 vehicles... Well again who's at fault?

We're not trying to clone Epoch, people just want the thrill/excitement of actual PvP. The people I know that are playing Exile are looking for that original thrill of battle. This thrill usually stems from "Shit I don't want to lose my gear!", or "Damnit, I just bought this truck and I don't want to lose it!". As it's been stated many times, this excitement isn't present in Exile because you can literally purchase everything from the trader. As a Server owner you can adjust prices all you want, mess with the % that items sell for but this doesn't fix the thrill issue.

I'm not saying that it needs to be an incredible pain in the ass to get gear or re-gear after dying, however the death needs to come at a price, not just "Well shit now I have to find the quickest way to the trader to  get my gear back.

And as for the poll, my post talking about how many people voted made accounts to vote no, or those who made several accounts just to vote no was meant as a joke but with a serious hint behind it.

Coming from an admin in the Arma 2 Dayz/Epoch/Overpoch days, it was annoying to see the side chat spammed with people calling for admins for lost keys. But it's just that... its whining and Admins giving in that create this kind of behavior and make it repetitive. I think in my time as an admin I only replaced about 15 keys due to stuff such as unscheduled server shutdown (out of our control), or something that was directly caused by an admin/server error. I know a lot of people want things the way they want them and now, but that will never change. If rules are implemented and adhered to then there should be no  issues  with whining about stuff like  "My key disappeared from my safe.".

Edited by CrazyCorky
Edits
  • Like 4

Let's offer a survival mod where you don't actually have to survive. There is no fear whatsoever in this mod. Majority of people voted against the key system were afraid of the vehicles they could lose. Seriously grow some balls. No Challenge whatsoever. The winning vote might of been no, but you have to think of why they all voted no in the first place. Is this this survival or is this security? Make it tough for christ sake. P.s The weak are the majority

Edited by Banjotheraindo
added text
  • Like 8

I had this discussion the other night about this and the current currency in Exile with one of my server admins.

I want Exile to be its own mod with its own unique identity BUT..

As a seasoned Arma 2 Epoch player and server admin, I do feel that in its current state Exile is somewhat lacking in regards to PVP risk/reward due to the fact that vehicles and currency are almost impossible to steal. I really miss that 'on edge' feeling when trying to get to a trader carrying stacks of money/gold to buy a safe or a vehicle for example.

That's what made it exciting for a lot of us and at the moment, in Exile that feeling is lost. No longer do I need to worry about getting shot and losing all my money or that brand new vehicle that I just bought and right there is where the problem lies....

No risk as I dont care if I die as I just respawn with all my money and go grab my car that I locked just before I got killed. I know some of you like it that way but for me its a major issue.

Enough with the 'Easy' mode this aint carebears. Bring some of the risk and excitement back to Exile. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Banjotheraindo said:

Let's offer a survival mod where you don't actually have to survive. There is no fear whatsoever in this mod. Majority of people voted against the key system were afraid of the vehicles they could lose. Seriously grow some balls. No Challenge whatsoever. The winning vote might of been no, but you have to think of why they all voted no in the first place. Is this this survival or is this security? Make it tough for christ sake. P.s The weak are the majority

keys= vast quantities of admins wasted time, get the server owner to up the risk and scale back the economy. Its all about balance so obviously there's not enough AI with rocket launchers or you are being too well paid selling to traders, keys are just a pain in the arse and bring nothing to the table except cloning Epoch, find some other way of accomplishing risk and gameplay without them.

• Like 1

Advertisement