Eichi

Car Keys and Locking

76 posts in this topic

Hey inmates!

We have now had the time to think about the result of the vehicle locking poll and came up with the following:

There will be no car keys, but we will change around how things work a bit.

Car keys have only one advantage: You can steal them to take over enemy cars. But they will introduce a lot of new problems, that we would like to avoid. Some of them are:

• "My uniform disappeared, now my car keys are gone" (If you have experience this, please report it here)
  • "I have locked my keys in my car"
  • "My corpse de-spawned with my car keys in it"
  • "My friend wants to drive my car, but I am miles away with the keys with me"
  • "I have ten keys in my safe, but only three cars. Which one is still in use?"

In combination with these, we would like to tackle problems with the current system, too. Our plans are to roll-out the quick changes as soon as possible. The larger changes will come in later versions, as they require more development time.

Change #1
Currently, a player can instantly lock a vehicle in combat. It will even become easier if they use the user action two. If they have entered a PIN code before, the game will remember and he will not have to enter it again.

We will change that, so that the player has to enter PIN codes in combat situations, even if the game remembers it. This will make it more dangerous to lock cars in combat.

Change #2
It is not possible to change the PIN code of a vehicle right now. If a player has stolen a car, the only option is to sell it.

We will add the option to change the PIN codes of vehicles at the vehicle and aircraft customs traders for a small amount of pop tabs.

Change #3
Repairing a car is currently very easy. Players can escape combat situations too quickly. Attackers who have shot the wheels of a car have put a lot of effort into destroying a the wheels. This effort is in no balanced relation to repair it.

Our plan is to make repairing take some time, thus repairing it while in combat becomes more dangerous. In the long run, we will consider adding more components and maybe even tools to be required to do so. Using just duct tape is funny, but too easy.

Change #4
There is no real way to get to know the PIN code of other players, except with the thermal scanner pro. We think this is fine, as PIN codes are very personal. As of today, you cannot access a vehicle without the PIN code. And we would like to change that. 

Players will be able to pick the lock of a vehicle, but it will take time and tools. Think about it: Exile is about convicts. Why should they not be able to pick locks? 

We have no exact details defined yet, but it will take a couple of minutes. If a lock has been picked, it will unlock the vehicle, but it will not tell you the PIN. This will not affect base doors.

This change will basically make it possible to get your hands on enemy cars. It will also help to reduce the "Locked vehicle in the wild" phenomenon. Of course picking a lock will not be possible in trader zones.

Change #5
Locked vehicles will introduce a car alarm. If someone tries to get into your vehicle, you will be warned.

Change #6
We will add beep tones of the PIN pad like it is used in telephones. There will be a different beep tone per number pressed. Beep tones will be played in 3D, so other players could hear them. With a bit of training, they will be able to hear the PIN other players are entering. This will also affect doors.

We feel that these changes will affect the game-play quite a bit and push it into the right direction. 

• Like 33

Would it be possible then that found, i mean spawned cars that you don´t have to capture from enemies, but which you can find, that those cars won´t despawn after a restart?

I am asking because the spawned cars don´t have locks. (Btw. never heared of that "Locked vehicle in the wild phenomenon" xD ) So the only thing to do with them is to sell them at the traders, too. Would be nice if players could attach a lock even to those spawned cars, so that one could use them even after a restart.

• Like 3

Advertisement

The changes sound good.  I like it a lot.

Would it make sense to vary lock picking times from vehicle (class) to vehicle (class)? A Kart, for example, would probably be easier to lock pick than a Huron.

Edited by Brady_The
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Eichi said:

Change #3

Repairing a car is currently very easy. Players can escape combat situations too quickly. Attackers who have shot the wheels of a car have put a lot of effort into destroying a the wheels. This effort is in no balanced relation to repair it.

Our plan is to make repairing take some time, thus repairing it while in combat becomes more dangerous. In the long run, we will consider adding more components and maybe even tools to be required to do so. Using just duct tape is funny, but too easy.

Change #4
There is no real way to get to know the PIN code of other players, except with the thermal scanner pro. We think this is fine, as PIN codes are very personal. As of today, you cannot access a vehicle without the PIN code. And we would like to change that. 

Players will be able to pick the lock of a vehicle, but it will take time and tools. Think about it: Exile is about convicts. Why should they not be able to pick locks? 

We have no exact details defined yet, but it will take a couple of minutes. If a lock has been picked, it will unlock the vehicle, but it will not tell you the PIN. This will not affect base doors.

This change will basically make it possible to get your hands on enemy cars. It will also help to reduce the "Locked vehicle in the wild" phenomenon. Of course picking a lock will not be possible in trader zones.

Don't I remember this from Origins Mod . Nothing new really . They have/had a Vehicle Hot Wire kit . Very rare Spawn , and it had a 75% chance of failure . 1 use only . They also had tools and car parts needed for repair ...... I thought you guys were going for more original ... I get the , " Been there , Done That " feeling with this , Just my opinion , sticking it out there . 

Maybe one of the reasons numbers are dropping overall , nothing "New"

Edited by Goblin

Lock picking sounds like a great idea! I understand you haven't got exact details of how it would work and I would like to make some general suggestions:

- Consumes a lockpick when you use it on a vehicle ( same concept as the hotwire kit in A2 epoch )

- Have a percentage chance to unlock the vehicle and if it faIls, a lockpick is consumed.

- This item should be as rare if not more so than the thermal scanner pro. 

I'm very interested in hearing the rest of the communities opinion. 

Keep up the good work!

30 minutes ago, Goblin said:

Don't I remember this from Origins Mod . Nothing new really . They have/had a Vehicle Hot Wire kit . Very rare Spawn , and it had a 75% chance of failure . 1 use only . They also had tools and car parts needed for repair ...... I thought you guys were going for more original ... I get the , " Been there , Done That " feeling with this , Just my opinion , sticking it out there . 

Who said "New" - that's what the community demands!

36 minutes ago, Goblin said:

Why not use good ideas which worked in passed? You suggest that Exile devs should remove guns and put bubble guns or plasma rifles because normal weapons were in other mods?

I really like those idea presented by devs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerryF said:

Would it be possible then that found, i mean spawned cars that you don´t have to capture from enemies, but which you can find, that those cars won´t despawn after a restart?

I am asking because the spawned cars don´t have locks. (Btw. never heared of that "Locked vehicle in the wild phenomenon" xD ) So the only thing to do with them is to sell them at the traders, too. Would be nice if players could attach a lock even to those spawned cars, so that one could use them even after a restart.

For me this is very important! At the moment rare vehicle means either just very expensive or will despawn at restart, id really like the old approach, you have a nice vehicle you have to look after it. evens things out a little between new/old players, groups/lonely wolves etc... but its just my opinion ;)

Advertisement