Austin

Napf Island A3

296 posts in this topic

Napf Island A3

by 
Momo | Ported by ANixon

Description:
This is a ported version of the Napf Island for Arma 2: OA by #momo#.

After 2.5 years of work, I finally finished my Napf Island. It is a terrain for Arma2 OA that is 20.4km on 20.4km in size. While the norh part is rather flat and is the home of most of the big cities, the south is dominated by mountains, forests and wilderness. The map is based on real elevation data from a region in Switzerland, but the towns, roads and forests are highly fictionalized.

Some Background:
- The terrain for my Napf-Island was made based on real DEM-Data with a 30m on 30m grid. The mountain "Napf" in reality is located in Switzerland (long/lat in Real World: +47°0/+7°56'). In the real
world, the south shore of my island is formed by the Lake of Brienz ("Brienzersee") and the Lake of Thun ("Thunersee").
- However, I squeezed about 100km on 100km of real terrain into a 25km on 25km map and I also smoothed the terrain. My Napf is not the real Napf in many aspects: I placed towns and roads where
I thought they made sence, not always on real places. The names of the towns and hills are a mix of faction and fiction, as indeed is the whole island.
- The work for this island started approximatly in August, 2011. However, I was busy bitching with Visitor3 for more than a month. Still, the work behind the island is insane. The town of Chatzbach,
for example, took me one day and one night in a row (I worked on Chatzbach 17 hours straight). I dont think I will finish the Island: Arma3 is on the horizon.
- However, I intend to end the island to the point where the main Ring Road (Chatzbach->Münchenstein->Muttenz->Lenzburg->Lausen) and the terrain surrounding the road is complete. This would 
also include building the main town and an airport.

Features:
- Two big citys, 3 airfields, a lot of medium sized towns
- Several small islands off the main land, one of them houses a big military base
- A massive Water Dam with an electrical grid emerging from there
- Diverse landscape from the flat north with agriculture and bigger towns down to the high mountains of the south
- Tested in Multiplayer without serious bugs

Installation:
To install the Napf Island A3 you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.
Please visit the Arma 3 Mod install instructions page for more information about using custom mods and addons in Arma 3.

Included files:
napf.pbo
kpfs_waysigns.pbo
aif_napfobjects.pbo
mbg_generic_african_buildings.pbo
mbg_killhouses.pbo
mbg_buildings_3.pbo
mbg_buildings_2.pbo
Roads2.pbo
Ponds.pbo

Downloadable via -
Steam Workshop:
- Download

Armaholic:

- Go to Armaholic!

A3Launcher:

- Download

Napf Server Files (Outdated for version 1.56):

- Download

Credits & Thanks:
- My Clanmate Flattermann who became more and more a co-author
- Hotzenplotz from URR-Clan for his help with Visitor and Photoshop
- AngryInsects-Team for Beta-Testing and moral support (visit www.angryinsects.de)
- All clans and mods who played the Beta-Version, which motivated me to go on with the project
- Mondkalb for his buildings
- Bushlurker and others for many helpful posts in the Editing-Section of the bi-Forums
- shezan74 for WorldTools
- Marseille77 for the GermanWaysigns Addon.
- BIS for making Arma2

ANixon's Port Section:
Agreements with momo:
As long the updated Arma 3 version is free to use in Arma 3 and not mod specific it is ok to edit/update it for Arma 3 and Momo retains rights as it original creator. Map must be released to the public and not kept private.

1. Hello thevisad
  3. I have no Skype, so I contact you this way. It's better for me to write it down anyway because somehow my written English is better than my spoken.
  5. I thought about your request for the napf source file and about co-working on the island. The concerns I have all boil down to one point, which is the question of how open the map will be for the standard Arma-Community. As long as I can claim full authorship, this question is for me to decide.
  7. To make it short: I want the map to stay open for the "old" Arma-Community, meaning everybody who wants to make a single- or multiplayer-mission on it is free to do so, as long as it is not a Dayz-Mod or something very similar. Warfares, Deathmatches, Roleplay-Missions like "Chernarus Life" or PvP- or Coop-Events with a military focus are all free to use the island. This also applies for Arma3 if the map can be used there.
  9. If you can agree to this condition I could agree to give out the Source Files and discuss a cooperation.
  11. About the islands of Suhrenfeld and Pfeffikon: Exactly these two islands are not made by me, but by my clanmate Flattermann. He would be willing to modify them so maybe it would be best to give your ideas for them to him. We would still need one or more buidlings for the scientiftc part of the installation. There would be one already existing that maybe would be cool but I have to check it out:

Some Background on port:
In no way do I claim to of made this map. All credits for original content creators are above! The work I did was nothing compared to theirs and I hope you think of them when you think of napf. Thanks

Public Discord: https://discord.gg/0VORQ6nh91IM5BtT

Donate to help future development.

Edited by Austin
updated
  • Like 14

Advertisement

Well..what should i say..you're my personal hero!

By far the best A2 Map and the only map i really liked so far in the Arma series..we used to run it 2 years on our A2 OverPoch server..can't wait to see it in A3!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, zisb said:

This makes me so happy!

Napf has always been my favorite map in arma, I really just can't wait.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Well..what should i say..you're my personal hero!

By far the best A2 Map and the only map i really liked so far in the Arma series..we used to run it 2 years on our A2 OverPoch server..can't wait to see it in A3!

1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Austin, keep up the great work!

From what ive read you've got some work ahead of you, but I'm looking forward to it.

Glad to hear you guys are looking forward to this, can't wait to get it out to you!

• Like 1

Posted some screenshots, sorry been really busy with my servers and working on this. Currently I have someone converting all the roads to shape files that way AI works with roads on the island and such, I hope to have all roads finished by the end of next week and that is the reason I haven't really taken any pictures for you guys as all I can show you is the forests. The whole southern part of the map has already been finished by momo and looks very nice, only parts I believe he never got to was adding it to the satellite image (which you can see above) and the mask.

Advertisement