speedweasel

The game economy needs more entropic forces

22 posts in this topic

My first session in Exile saw me earn $30,000 from looting and selling gear as well as finding and selling vehicles.  This seems a bit too easy for a survival mod.

Ideas:

Fuel should cost tabs.  Tabs could be automatically drawn from your account when you refuel a vehicle or you could create a dialogue on pumps to purchase x tabs worth of fuel.  Also, consider raising the fuel consumption rate of large vehicles.

Remove all OP weapons, thermal and rangefinders.  Everyone with a .408 thinks they’re Chris Kyle and sniping the edge of a safe zone from 1500m out is only fun for 1 of the 50 players in the server.  By making it harder (but not impossible) to engage at long distance you have fewer one-shot kills, longer firefights that chew up ordinance and things are generally more enjoyable for everyone when they feel like they have a fighting chance at the beginning of a PvP encounter.

High-end items should be rare items.  Rare items should not be available in stores.  This gives players an impetus to explore, loot and spend resources (fuel, ammunition) seeking out rare gear.  Having rare gear in your inventory makes for more interesting risk/reward decisions before players commit to PvP.

• Like 8

Yeah, me and about 5% or less of those playing Exile agree with you. I think most seem to like the get rich quick playstyle.

I'm still going for more of a survival thing even if it's just for me and a couple others. Still a lot to do to get there. :)

• Like 1

Advertisement

Hmmm... I think the get rich quick play-style is what ruined Wasteland.  We had servers advertising $20,000 starting cash, a candy-land of armed vehicles, stockpiled crates stashed in huge, locked bases and PvP clustered around stores which everyone just camped.

• Like 1

This issue will never ever ever  be "fixed" period.

heres why.

Server owners can alter the server files. (Easily)

90% of Server owners, alter them to make the game easy as shit and give everyone what they want. Which is why every server is

"EXILE +Loot +Spawns Spawn with bike +builders kits +everythingyouwantandmore

This is out of the EXILE devs hands unless its hard coded, which it won't be.

While admins have control, EXILE will forever be easy mode. 

People try, but those poor sods get over shadowed by the easy mode servers.

It is a shame. EPOCH suffers the same "problem"... I hate calling it a problem, to me, its pretty clear what the majority want. Easy mode bullshit.

I can guarantee as soon as DayZ standalone is open to modding the you will see +Loot + this + that etc servers, which will attract the players, and kill the "good" servers. Then boom, games dead.

EXILE is alive and kicking atm because its the new "thing" unfortunately I think once the regular updates stop coming and the game reaches completion itll begin to dwindle away.. as EPOCH did.. this is no disrespect to the devs..I love them.

I view EXILE more as a "framework" than a mod. You can literally create your own game from their framework. To the point where its not even exile anymore, if I was an EXILE dev I wouldnt want my name associate with some of the absolute rubbish servers some people run.

=(

Edited by John
  • Like 5

but in an isolated system the entropy can only increase....

And like others have said, it's all up to the server owner. Having no maintenance costs allows people to pick-up and play with no substantial commitment, I think this increases the casual player base of a server. On the flip side however, having high maintenance costs stops people from just picking a server and playing, because they know that there is a commitment needed to establish yourself on the server before you can really start playing and having fun. (maybe that part of the game is fun for some people, but I think the players in this group are more hardcore)

It all comes down to player/server owner preference.

1 hour ago, wasti said:

but in an isolated system the entropy can only increase....

The server isn't a closed system.  Players scavenging lootspawns inject value into the economy as do AI spawns and the gear they carry.  Missions loot, vehicle spawns also inject $ into the server.

On the flip side, hunger and thirst, PvP and PvE activity (players spending ordinance) and de-spawning bodies are the main entropic forces.

Sadly, Arma inventory bugs also take value out of the server but those aren't by design. Though with BIS, sometimes I wonder.  :(

Edited by speedweasel

IMO I think doing away with a single currency will help a lot...

I think trade in the true sence of the word will fix this..

For instance if you want a MX with 2 mags you should trade a couple of pistols, some food and/or wood. If you want mags food and wood and so forth. Base protection should be arms and stuff such as food, wood, etc. to the "entity" that protects your base.

And finally traders should only have what ever has been traded, up to a certain amount of each item of course. If there are no weapons available, sorry go and loot, try the missions etc. go find it out there in the world.

Edited by Vip3r_RTB
  • Like 1

again, comes down to the server owner, there is nothing stopping a true trade only system like that, the server owner could simply get rid of the traders and let players trade with each other. Of course, you never know if who your trading with has some buddies ready to jump you.

Having the base protection fee's could probably easily be changed if you wanted it to be wood and arms instead of credits.

However, having something like "traders only have items that have been sold to them" could be done, but you would have to store all of that info of what they have in the database somewhere (not a big deal, just some coding)

Also trading an MX with 2 mags for x number of pistols/food/wood/ect as per your example would still be mathematically controlled by a single currency, just not necessarily visible to the player, but it would still have to be there to give a value to whatever your trading. This wouldn't change anything other than not letting players see the true value of what they are trading and over-complicating the trade system.

• Like 1

Advertisement