Eichi

SQF Compiler File Output Structure

Flat or Folder File Structure?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Flat or Folder File Structure?

• Flat File Structure (as of today)
    • Tree View File/Folder Struture

22 posts in this topic

Some coders where asking us for changing the file scheme in exile_client\code and exile_server\code. Currently, our compiler outputs one file per function. They have suggested to put out folders too, so it is easier to browse and more like a tree view. 

What would you like? It will not change the way you overwrite code in Exile.

Current:

8bb5acfdec.png

Suggested:

2e72f3d496.png

Poll ends on Sunday, 15th November.

Edited by Eichi

While it may be nice to have folders sorted out, it does have some simplicity having the flat file structure. Very easy to search and find things that are needed when sorted in ABC order.

• Like 6

Advertisement

We would also like to include the function name in the .sqf file so you could search for that too, if your editor doesn't support that.

• Like 1

While it may be nice to have folders sorted out, it does have some simplicity having the flat file structure. Very easy to search and find things that are needed when sorted in ABC order.

I feel its the opposite, its much simpler and tidy to have them in categorized folders

• Like 3

I think it's pretty much a wash one way or the other.  You either have to scroll through a ton of files to find what you want or you have to click through several sub-folders looking for the file you want.  At the end of the day it will be relatively the same amount of effort.  Having the organization of the folders would be nice however.

• Like 1

We would also like to include the function name in the .sqf file so you could search for that too, if your editor doesn't support that.

Can you explain this a little more?

I think it's pretty much a wash one way or the other.  You either have to scroll through a ton of files to find what you want or you have to click through several sub-folders looking for the file you want.  At the end of the day it will be relatively the same amount of effort.  Having the organization of the folders would be nice however.

When making references in a mission file to overwrite anything custom you want the folder structure may also lead to some errors, while easily preventable, a simple mistake of referencing the wrong folder to begin with will result in an error. Again, easily preventable but from the past with Arma it was  a common error of mine after the missing " ; ".

Advertisement