Sign in to follow this  
Bushwookie.net

A few suggestions for people having tons of problems with updates

2 posts in this topic

Hopefully following some of these suggestions will reduce the number of problems people are having and clear up the questions/comments following each update.

Suggestion 1 - Stop pretending you are a mod developer and trying to decide which updated files are different/neccesary and which ones are the same/unnecessary. If the devs give you a file, use it. I get tired of seeing comments about "this seems no different than before." That might be true sometimes, but it is the exception, not the rule.

Suggestion 2 - Stop trying to install the mod, infistar, and all your custom content in the first run. Start with the mod by itself and test it on your server with that only. This verifies that you have installed the mod correctly. I know you want to push the content fast, but by trying to push everything at once you are making it more difficult to determine the cause of a problem when you come across one. 

Suggestion 3 - Spend some time looking through your files and just getting a general understanding of which files control what. This will make things way easier when troubleshooting. I see a lot of unnecessary posts asking really simple things like "Where do I find my config.cpp?"

Suggestion 4 - If you aren't willing to spend time learning about simple things like file structure, then you probably should stop wasting tons of money to rent a server, and just go play on another server run by somebody who has the time, the patience, and the knowledge. There are plenty of servers out there, and by getting rid of 1 more empty server, you will be helping to concentrate the player base which will probably help the mod in the long run.

Suggestion 5 - Just buy the infistar antihack... I know, I know... "but there's a back door!", "but it's $30!!", "blah blah blah!"... honestly... who cares? Chris seems like a businessman (although maybe a bit of a troll sometimes :p), he's not gonna "haxor ur server"... He provides a lot of really awesome updates with a lot of useful content. Sure, you could probably do without if you are knowledgeable enough... but it really isn't worth your effort.

• Like 11

Advertisement