Tobias Solem

Why do you host an exile-server?

76 posts in this topic

(Incoming wall of text)

I run an exile-server, one of over three thousand, and let's be real here; mine is empty, so are most of those three thousand as well. There are perhaps 40-50 decently to well-populated (regularly above 25 players) servers out there (statistics from arma3.swec.se). By checking gametracker on a lot of the bottom servers, the vast majority of servers sit there, like mine, empty.

I do pay attention to the "ad"-section of this forum, it's pretty funny how empty servers keep bumping threads, and once in a while a few players come to a server, and then leave. Because the general notion is, and logically so: "Who wants to play on an empty server?".

So why do you do it? Why are you hosting an exile-server? Are you waiting for that magical moment when you finally "make it"? Is it that dream that if you just wait for long enough people will finally catch on to your "magical recipe" of the "best exile experience"? Chances are, if you do feel this way; that you aren't alone. The three top maps (by player count) in Exile are Chernarus, Esseker and Altis. The "top servers" have a few common denominators; RHS and TRYK seem to be among them, other than that, it seems to be missions, roaming AI, and R3F and igiLoad, with some variants (ZCP and CUP, and... a few zombie mod servers). But all of these combinations are found on hundreds of unpopulated servers as well, so the "reason" why people play there hardly is connected to what mods a particular server runs. 

Personally, I think we; the naïve server owners who spend hours upon hours tweaking things, bumping threads, asking people to check our servers out, and being hopeful about player increase, all are sort of like business starters. But really, unless you're using some pre-installed auto-updating virtual server; it's hours and hours and hours of work, placing custom buildings, editing AI-scripts, and doing tons of other things, hoping "it's going to be populated soon". Anyone who ever started a business IRL knows what it's like... if you work hard enough it'll finally work out. Right?

It's pretty funny actually, the top servers have teams of developers, script writers, and established communities with at least 5-10 admins. Because what really attracts players is: really active admins, real custom stuff, real great performance, real clan activity and sub-communities (clans) engaging on the same servers. Most of all, consistency is something these servers have. They won't suddenly disappear, or forget to back things up so everyone has to start all over again, they have a history of doing what they do.

And while, yes, Exile is the most played mod by player time and games played (beating even Altis Life), it is still a niche mod for a niche game. 

Personally, I think I do it because for some reason tweaking stuff and seeing what the outcome might be, trying to make the experience I like to play myself. And on the off occasion that someone else likes it... awesome, if not, then so be it. 

What's yours?

tl;dr

Hurr-durr, I'm a server admin trying to justify countless hours of tweaking, and honestly wondering why you others do it?

• Like 8

my zombie mission was too big for be handled on a client machine :>  on server it runs fine - so why not sharing this if it can be done?

exile was pretty easily integrated and extended to the mission to be used to archieve player persistence

Edited by hieve

Advertisement

Running a server is like beating your wife. If you beat here to much she will leave. If you beat here just a little she will come and go. If you dont beat here she will stay. 

Just like any arma mod if you put up a server just to try get loads of people on it then you are best not to even put one up as it will never happen. You could be one of the best scripters out there stall wount mean your server will get numbers. 

Myself gave up running servers as i got over dealing with people having a cry over crap " he blow my car up" " the server crashed i lost my gun" 

All and All arma has just turned into a big shit fest of people crying. Like come on there is a real world out there go out and enjoy it.

• Like 3

I host and empty server, because I literally can't stand all standard or minorly tweaked servers running EXILE, its too easy, low fps and shit everywhere. So I create a very hardcore proper survival server with actual balanced loot and optimized game play, noone plays on it however due to the easy mode servers im in competition with.

It is frustrating, but its kind of a hobby at this point customizing code, tweaking configurations and achieving an outcome even though noone see's or hears it. 

This is both a plus and a minus of mods releasing server files - For me, EXILE in its standard form is not a mod I play, and the server's that are full, are only changed slightly, missions added and some custom weapons, however you can still purchase everything from the traders and its literally just a bigger version of wasteland, its not a survival sandbox at all.. but to each their own.

Do I hope one day my server will fill? Sure, but at this point I think once the months payment is done ill shut it down.

• Like 3

Hm... I think there definitely is a market out there for the kind of Server you're building, John. I'm not sure how your choice of map / server location / mentioning DayZ influences things, but I think you really need to have at least a few guys (say, friends or clan mates) who play on that server for a while. There are definitely people out there who will happily join a server with just 5 or 6 people on there, especially if it's a survival thing. But as Tobias said - nobody joins an empty one. 

Tobias, I've been on your server and I thought it was great. Your homepage is also very well done, as are the forums. Just waiting for a community to happen, really. I really hope you somehow make that crucial initial amount of players happen somehow...

• Like 3

@ Deepflows, ive tried a few maps - Not alot seems to make a difference. I think my biggest issue is numbers within AUS, at peak times there is probably 120 od players, they will always flock to the server with numbers, and that so happens to be the Esseker hype train choo choo. My hats off to the server hosts, however the unbalanced over powered rubbish is just not for me one bit and 80 people on Esseker with the mirid of uncontrolled bases and cheap vehicles is just a FPS nightmare.

I agree with alot of what you say john there are too few players in aus, esseker is not as the admin of said server not a good map to play with large player numbers on it has bugs galore and memory leaks to boot. All of us that admin run that server are hardcore mode fans. But most players are not. Its a fine line between making things just a little difficult to make players appreciate things and just giving it away. I think the real reason we have players is because over half our players have been with our servers for over a year ago with epoch. It's all about community and being consistent. I also think having LESS admins is better. We usually only have 1 maybe 2 admins in game. The other 2 of us spend all our time developing new features. It's not about pandering to players every need. 

• Like 1

As every time. Too much servers out there where you can get stuff too easy. I guess we get all a new push when the new map comes out - 2016 :/

• Like 1

Advertisement