LeBus

Thermal Scanners

24 posts in this topic

Firstly dupes a lot, Exile is still a new mod so these things happen.

Secondly, its seriously overpowered O.o Here's why:

1. Its easy enough to screenshot it. Even if it only flashed then you could always record it so that would be no good.

2. Its got 5 uses so theoretically a base would need 6 locked doors all with different codes to be fully secure from just a single one of these.

3. It gives you 3 of the 4 numbers in order so you only need to try a maximum of 10 times to get a base/vehicle code.

4. Almost every group on our server - probably the same on most servers - uses the same code for everything which means one use from this means that you could get everyone's vehicles and gear. 

5. It makes it easier for people to steal vehicles in traders which is annoying for servers with rules against this.

Im all for base raids, I hate the idea that someone could be 100% safe in their base at all times, and that if they do die then their gear will always be safe from attackers but this seems a overpowered. I love the fact that you can't use it when the owners are offline but that doesn't stop you from getting the code when they are online and attacking their defenseless base when they aren't on.

I'd say maybe alter it so that its a thermal unlocker. It can only be used while there is a thermal reading on it - to avoid people using it against bases where the owners are offline - and it takes X minutes (maybe 5 for a door and vehicle and 10 for a safe?) of it beeping while it unlocks the door/safe/vehicle. It doesn't give the code, to avoid problem number 4, but it does unlock whatever it was used on. Nothing is therefor 100% safe but not overpowered either.

Thanks, LeBus :)

Edited by LeBus
  • Like 1

Also ran into this problem on my server and I agree seems way too over powered. Your idea of changing it however is a very interesting idea and seems like a great way of fixing the above issues +1 from me

Advertisement

Although I do agree that it can be simple... Doesn't it require you to use the Thermal Scanner within a certain time frame to show heat signatures? Also, if you guess 3 incorrectly, doesn't it lock you out for 30 minutes?

Yes it does have the heat signatures but in all honesty, it really isnt hard to get a heat signature from a base or vehicle.

And yes 3 wrong guesses does lock you out, I've been told its 5 minutes but no idea how long it really is, but thats 3 per person, a lot of people go round in groups. Also, if I were to do it, I wouldn't mind coming back 2/3 times just to get the code.

It shows you 3 numbers...not all 4 of em ;) and we added this, so you can go and get some goodies out of a base. Also the thermal will just show for 15min after someone entered a code.

Edited by MrWhite

Yeah, it shows 3 numbers and the order which means you just need to guess 10 numbers (0-9) and you've potentially got someone's whole base, all their gear and vehicles...

• Like 1

As for now it's too easy, the instant result allows you to get the 3 of 4 code digits right away you don't even need to try it right now, but remember it and come back when nobody's home. And as many mentioned - it can be the only code of the group.

Maybe there should be a timer when you need to stand and wait for thermal prints to appear - from the last one which is visible right at start as it's the hottest to the others, one by one in a time, say - 2 minutes per digit. It gives a chance to fight against those who tries to crack your base (or vehicle), especially that it was locked not longer then 15 minutes ago, so the owner should be nearby. And maybe it should receive an alarm notification that the door\safe\vehicle he accessed in last 15 minutes is being breached. Also this allows the owner to know that he need to change the code as it could be partly compromised.

It will bring interactive gameplay to this feature.

Edited by [x] Splin
  • Like 3

I completely agree with Splin, I'd personally like to see it with the alarm system. I mentioned a beeping noise but it could even be a notification that your base is getting scanned.

This gives people a fighting chance because anyone could see that your base door has just closed or that theres movement in your base, go up to it and within seconds have your code to potentially everything. If you want to get someone's goodies then you have to work at least equally as hard as  they did to get it. The thermal scanner doesn't require you to work hard in anyway.

How hard is it to go through 10 numbers to get a code?

Edited by LeBus
  • Like 1

They have started on a *Base Surveillance* concept on there facebook page, maybe alarms could be tied into that? 

Personally easy balance fix for the thermal scanner is the numbers are shown in RANDOM order, your going to be spending alot longer on the doors for same rewards. Personally I think its best option for all parties to be happy

Edited by Rangecreed

You doesn't like it ?

Remove it.

We don't need to talk about all exile feature ... 

They are a lot of thing to do, you are owner and must adjust server which what you like,

That not the exile devs job.

My opinion :-)

Edited by nark0t1k

Advertisement